Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's because it goes on for about a dozen pages and they're very clear about their intentions, spelling it out in text repeatedly. Usually in the past it's either an abrupt shocking moment, or it lacks the detailed narration.

IMO that's because the point of the event this time isn't it establishing someone as evil (it does, but that's not important, I seriously doubt Random Bully # 5 is going to show up as an arc villain thirty chapters down the line), but that it's happening to our protagonists and is trying to demonstrate their different thoughts and responses on the event. Dragona outright says as much, indicating they viewed the chain of events as an absurdity of reality unconnected to anything they did or did not do (which is right, Dragona's gender presentation didn't somehow cause the students to bully them), but that Jodio saw it as an injustice that needed to be avenged, and the subsequent events as the result of some mechanism in the world responding to his actions (so clearly he just needs to figure out how that works and he'll be able to murder all the people he wants to!). Consequently Dragona notes they could move on (even if they were miserable doing so), while Jodio would really never be able to let go since that viewpoint means everything has to wrap around to being his fault, somehow. I'm in agreement with some of the others that this divide is probably going to become increasingly apparent as the story goes on, and the Joestar siblings might end up splitting ways at some point over it.

I definitely get being upset by the visceral nature of what's shown (the actual physical wounds are a lot, even if I get it was to give Smooth Operators something to work with), but I feel like it would have to be something like this to work as intended? I think it would have to be centered around something as fundamental as gender identity to avoid implying any sort of "active" action on Dragona's part that could be seen as causal (feel like this is an issue sometimes with "misunderstanding" type plots, where they end up carrying an implication that it's the fault of the victim for not making sure they were understood rather than whoever made the wrong assumption in the first place), and at that point I'm not sure the specific type of violence involved changes how hosed up the situation is very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU