Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

How did I just notice this: JoDIO Joestar

Really liking the whole setup so far:

- Jodio being an inverse Giorno directly involved in drug trafficking
- November Rain - hard to tell exactly but it looks to be kind of like Vitamin C, softening and flattening people with its rain. Curious to see how it will get used, later Jojo stands are usually pretty flexible and crazy.
- Smooth Operators I can tell is probably gonna be my favorite Stand - loving love the little bulldozers rearranging things. Super subtle but also lots of body horror already.
- The Hustle seems pretty limited - curious to see what the Stand looks like (assuming we will get to see it at some point).
- Giant principle/fashion designer/kingpin lady is great. Vibes of Polpo, I'm going to guess she'll have some kind of remote stand as well.
- A heist gone wrong is a good way to get right into the story rather than Pt 8 where it was pretty aimless for a while.

Super happy to be in on the ground floor of a new Jojo part, let's loving go!

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh my god i just learned today that gyro has a beard technically, this whole time i thought those were just bandages or something on his face

Gyro is simultaneously one of the hottest/most beatiful Jojo characters with some of the ugliest choices (in my opinion) between his beard squares and the GO!GO! ZEPPPELI gold teeth.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Diavolo is the weakest villain of them all in my opinion (not counting Part 8, since it doesn't really have a villain, just a final antagonist sort of).

King Crimson is a great stand, and Doppio is awesome, but Diavolo as the Boss just has no real impact or personality apart from not wanting to be identified by anyone.

For me the thing that makes a jojo villain lies in whatever mission statement they give that is driving them along. For Pucchi, it's his concept of heaven as the gravity of fate. For Valentine, it's about taking the first napkin. For Kira, he just wants to live quietly.

Harder to pinpoint Dio's especially across all parts. I don't want to just say it's world domination because that's a little simple. But Dio's personality is strong enough that a simple goal like that suits him.

I don't know what you say the equivalent for Diavolo is. Prior to the revelation of the Requiem stand concept, I don't really know what he wanted apart from selling drugs and not being known about. It's just not a strong foundation to build a good villain on.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah I stopped watching after Green Baby and still haven't bothered getting to the final batch.

Please do if you like Stone Ocean at all - the final batch is really good, especially the final few (from Cape Canaveral onwards). And the last episode is super touching for the whole series - they did it perfectly.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I was having some trouble following some of the events of the previous few chapters, but this one was great.

The enemy stand/ability or whatever it is, is loving cool as poo poo. The weird rear end optical camoflage/perspective camoflage is so specific to the medium and it looks great. The Jojo crew stands are also finally kinda standing out together. The Hustle rules, love the way that Paco just casually swipes up a food tray as a shield, and then grabs a chair to throw using his loving obliques. Plus Dragona with the healer stand just moving wounds around, and Jodio as the area denial and finisher.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I need to see this on like a visceral level.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 20, 2024

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Brandfarlig posted:

Well, you could at least put them anywhere on your body.

Dragona could turn someone into a literal dickhead.

Anywhere on or off the body, it seems. Fully detachable as it were.

Honestly Smooth Operators might be one of my favorite Stands of all just from the crazy things it could potentially do. Up there with Crazy Diamond.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

If you look at the security guards hanging out around them on these pages/panels, they're not drawn like Araki usually draws hapless NPCs, they're drawn with [resolute stares], usually the mark of a Stand user(s) lol.

Top of page 16 especially.

They don't say a single word, "Those guys didn't give a poo poo!", Charmingman continuing to stare at them even after they walk away... my Stand User radar is going off.

Good spot, though we've seen background or minor characters before that really look like Stand Users. Two of the guards are also hanging around when they are reading the deeds as well. My original thought was that this a guard Stand that attacks the reader of the land deed.

Side note, Howler's little logo is really loving cute (not sure if its actually a logo or Araki just doing the drawing images in text boxes again).

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

radio tower guy from part 4

Yeah, Superfly was essentially a building.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

RatHat posted:

I like how they didn’t want to stand out so they brought fuckin Tingle with them

Haha, I forgot I wanted to make this point too. One of the funniest loving things in Jojo's ever when Meryl says for them not to do anything that would cause witnesses to remember them. Stand Users in Jojo's are like the 100% most witness-able people. You've got mf'ingTingle, a guy with heavy face tattoos combined with a low cut shirt showing more tattoos and a big bow, and Dragona in like a one-piece bathing suit, a huge D patch, and a circlet of flowers. Yeah, those guys will fit right in at the land registry office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Pootybutt posted:

It's funny how none of them worked on the dog

What do you mean? Iggy didn't notice Oingo (or at least gave no indication that he did or cared about it), and Rubber Soul/Yellow Temperance was long before Iggy was around.

I think actually the only tiny thing that Oingo was better at in terms of disguise was that he was able to replicate scent as well as a face.