Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Johnny Joestar posted:

part 6 will be dope as gently caress if animated and i sincerely hope it gets a chance to shine and part of me has lowkey been just wanting 5 to get over with so we're even closer to that

I haven't been low key about it, so anything that's great in part 5 is just a bonus for me.

I just hope they don't have yet another soul crushing gap between the end of 5 and beginning of 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The first scene is literally a contest to see who can go without masturbating the longest. Part 6 is the Seinfeldiest Jojo.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Part 6 is tied with 4 as my favorite part. They, along with part 7 are all fantastic for almost entirely different reasons and it just goes to show how great this series is.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I never got the sense that he was anything but genuine with Gyro, who was a giant dork. There's even that scene where they both glare at Dio for bringing in that poo poo to them. Did I forget something that would imply otherwise?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

BaDandy posted:

I always read that scene as "This happens in American prisons," like all of the other stuff that was establishing what Green Dolphin Prison was like. And it absolutely does happen in U.S. prisons, all the time.

Part of me doesn't believe that Jolyne wouldn't know a trans dude when she sees one because it's implied she's kind of into the gay/drag scene, but then, cis people act really loving mystified about what hormone therapy can do, so eh.

I thought the whole joke was "Jolyne is naive" since we see that the prison also has men in it. The guard just gave some excuse for why they were being searched in the same room.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't think I'd call part 5 uneven because the biggest problems with it are present the entire time. He has a cool power (most of the time) but Giorno really just feels like he shouldn't be in this group because he's such a black hole of a character. It also feels sort of like Araki was aware of this but still really wanted to make him prominent, so he had all these characters talk about how great he is the whole way through.

On the flipside you have Diavolo, a character I like as an antagonist (and design, I dig his outfit) but not particularly as a character. There are a lot of paired up antagonists in this part, and Doppio/Diavolo mostly just feel like another one of them, and not the actual Big Bads that were built up this entire time. The two (three?) most important characters of part 5 all feel like they shouldn't be given the weight they have.

Also on another note the stuff with the arrow always struck me as a bit odd. Jojo doesn't really do powercreep like traditional manga, so the effects of the arrow feel less like gaining untold power and more like they just rerolled for a different stand, at least in Silver Chariot's case. I don't feel like putting people to sleep and switching bodies is a power that much stronger than others we've seen without using the arrow (especially stuff in part 6. Chariot Requiem comparatively seems on par with stuff like Bohemian Rhapsody). Basing your whole ending on a powerup that barely feels like a powerup just isn't that interesting.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't hate Part 6's ending but I don't particularly like it either. It's an ending.

I'm of the opinion these are definitely 100% new people, however, and not the old character being allowed to "Live their best life" or whatever that means. Jolyne and friends are dead. These are just people who look like them.

I'm in this boat as well for reasons already given. I'm not interested in them having some ideal life since they fought and died to hang onto the ones they had, and ultimately for Emperio to keep on living.

From the perspective of Araki clearly wanting to end that entire storyline I am more fine with it going out as absurdly hugely as possible.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Darko posted:

Errr, I'm not sure you remember what Chariot Requiem could do.

It gives full soul control (and that includes Stands) while being almost completely invincible and works on a worldwide level to evolve everyone's souls and bodies into something else, gradually. It's also consistent with GER because it provides an auto defense (try to attack, your Stand turns against you).

So even with that relatively weak starting Stand, it gives a power that works on a worldwide level and will eventually change the entire planet, provides a nuh uh you can't touch me defense, and literally controls everyone's souls and Stands. The only reason it's not particularly useful against Diavolo is that its user is too weak to control it.

That also intends that if Diavolo got it - good god since he's already so powerful. Fortunately, Giorno got it, and got a top 3 absolute bullshit powerful Stand for it.

Was it supposed to be worldwide? If that's the case then sure but I thought it was just the general area, like Bohemian Rhapsody.

Edit: if that's not a good example though then there's always Heavy Weather

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

At this point I don't think Doppio was unaware that he was sharing a body with Diavolo, and he didn't "think" he was the boss' most trusted subordinate. With the anime showing us that they were born that way as two people, I can't really buy Doppio being out of the loop the whole time that his boss is in the same body. He still sees himself as the subordinate because Diavolo is the more forceful one, but I feel the relationship between the two is one of mutual understanding instead of Diavolo literally just using Doppio.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Even having already read the manga I still found myself thinking "wait, that was the fight?"

Part 5 has benefitted from being animated, and it has helped my enjoyment of it, but man did this end on a bad point.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

like i love SBR but i was re-reading the scarlet valentine and lucy stuff and Yikes

Pretty much every character Lucy goes against at least threatens to sexually assault her, it's the one part of SBR that I don't really want to see again.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, Lucy's loving awesome and her deciding to cut off Dio's head and wrap it up to surprise him was amazing. It's just annoying that they went for the assault route every time she gets to do something.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I haven't read part 8 yet but doesn't it also have a lot of Yasuho getting assaulted too? It's one aspect of Araki's writing that seems to have gotten more prominent in later parts and that makes me sad.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Black August posted:

Ignoring all else, Diavolo has a really wicked design, as does King Crimson

Their designs are the main reason I can't just write them off completely, they're rad as hell.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

We saw from Polneraff that paying attention and attacking at the right time was enough to get a hit in on Diavolo and Bucciarati also outsmarted him in their very first encounter. King Crimson felt far from invincible.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

We can all at least agree that Part 6 hosted the worst Stand battle in JoJo history, Dragon's Dream, right?

After watching the anime I would say Baby Face is probably worse. Dragon's Dream can be second worst though.

Part 6 is tied for my favorite part with 4. Too much of it is just awesome for me to put it any lower.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

He also turned kakyoin around at some point between picking him up and getting him home.

I agree entirely about Jotaro being a much better character when he isn't the lead. He's unmistakably cool in parts 4 and 6 but because he isn't the main character, they don't have to rely on him to take care of most of the fights. He's definitely the most improved character in the series.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

When I think hardcore I think more about what they're willing to do to themselves over what they're willing to do to others. I don't remember Johnny's stuff all that well but Jolyne had probably my most memorable action of setting herself on fire.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The anime did help me appreciate it more, but ultimately I have the same feeling toward part 5 as I originally did, in that it's not very good. I was never that into the cast and while a lot of the fights are good, I just never got that invested in the actual plot.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I feel like the comparisons to Jonathan are more incidental than anything you can actually attribute to his lineage. You could describe say Buccialati in the same way and it would be just as relevant.

I feel like his more manipulative aspects can be linked to DIO at least, but the whole Jonathan thing has never really felt apt to me. It feels like by the time Jotaro fought him, Araki no longer considered the body at all Jonathan's, and it didn't affect anything he wrote going forward.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

everything said, i still don't know what the gently caress was up with the weird aliens crawling out of people in part 5's final stretch and i think that's part of why i heavily dislike it

It was something about how that was the next step in human evolution, wasn't it? You could argue it thematically fits with "evolution" since that's what the arrow does to a stand, but that doesn't really make that final part any less of a giant mess.

I still have yet to read any of part 8 and this thread has been a good way of knowing to temper my expectations. As far as a mysterious guy that never shows up, Araki has drastically changed designs before so I would probably just assume he's someone you already saw.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I haven't touched the series cause the idea of waiting for a mystery written by Araki to be released monthly sounded like asking for pain. It seems like it's wrapping up though, so I might dive in soon. From how people are reacting I am tempering my expectations on the mystery aspect (which I already did because of this series), but otherwise it sounds pretty enjoyable.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I notice that the subbed trailer has her say Stone Free, which does not match what they used in All Star Battle.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

I sold a friend on this by saying that Part 6, while not necessarily the #1 JoJo part, it is definitely peak crazy

Wanna see the poison frog rain

Part 4 is the most Jojo, Part 6 is the most Bizarre, part 7 is the most Adventure.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, it's a sad end for our friends, but they still gave their lives for a better future and managed to succeed. They weren't able to wrap everything up neatly, but their actions still mattered.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Brandfarlig posted:

Did they succeed though? At what point is your victory so pyrrhic that not fighting would be a better option?

Pucci didn't get the world he wanted so yeah, they succeeded. If they didn't fight then Pucci would have basically made himself god with no repercussion.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

They gave it to Yukako in part 4, when Koichi tried to use his stand on her she she just totally ignored it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm fine with the ending and don't consider Irene to be Jolyne at all, Jolyne died saving the universe from being under Pucci's control. It's basically like how Jonathan died at the end of part 1 saving everyone from being killed by Dio, just without part 3 continuing it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

They tried to tell us King Crimson was the strongest stand but considering Polneraff found a way around it, it really didn't seem that way. Using the arrow felt more about making sure Diavolo couldn't use it rather then needing its power to beat him.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, the best thing about King Crimson is easily its design. That very angry face is iconic.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

My problem with part 5 is less about the fights (though King Crimson is definitely a case of Araki trying too hard) and more about the non fight parts. Part 5 is sandwiched between 4 and 6, which both have really fun casts with downtime that allowed the characters to show off. Part 5 has this... For every character except the main one. I never felt like Giorno was actually part of the group, he felt more like a silent protagonist in a JRPG.

Giorno and everything to do with him really hold part 5 down, and it's made even worse because he's right after Josuke and right before Jolyne, who are two of the best Jojo's.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Where the hell is Foof, I demand the Foof.

Were all these new characters included in EoH, or are there some entirely new ones?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

There's a Bedman from Guilty Gear that has a whole rewind mechanic that lets him do all kinds of weird poo poo, you could have Moody Blues do something like that. That might be a bit more complicated than this game wants to go for though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

2/5 of the Stardust group joined after trying to kill one of the members, and Okuyasu almost killed Koichi. It's like Dragonball, once the bad thing stops happening you're all cool.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So this is what it's like having to wait for new JoJo, huh. I guess I should probably finally read part 8.

I enjoyed this chapter but starting it off the way it did was pretty off putting. That better not be a running theme in this part, cause everything else was great.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I assume there is no actual diamond and they're actually stealing something else, unbeknownst to them.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

My problem with part 5's cast is less that they interact with each other, and more that Giorno barely interacts with them outside of the fights. The only fun thing I can think of with Giorno and them was when he stole a hundred cars.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think the fact that so many people are mentioning Mista, a character I always found obnoxious, as the best one says it all about how I feel about part 5. The character I liked the most was Abacchio because he was totally right about Giorno. Other than that they just failed to resonate with me, even if the fights were cool.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

one more for the pile.
anyway, i'm not saying vento is good or not, cos I don't really care that hard about it either way but i do genuinely wonder what percentage of va has no personality/is stilted is from people who read the original and dreadful english fan translation and never read it again

that english version was low key genuinely worse than duwang. it had better english in grammatical/sentence structure standards but made poo poo up, duwang is bad english but generally accurate.

This was the case for me at least. Watching the anime definitely helped my view of part 5, but in the end I still put it in the same place ranking wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Wasn't the whole point of setting the rain to get his attention? If normal people can't see the rain then he'd have to reason to do that.

I still haven't read Jojolion (I'll get to it... eventually) but Jojolands has been pretty entertaining so far. I actually really like the designs of Jodio and Dragona, I am totally on board with these stupid crime kids.