Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Could someone help me out with something? Someone is trying to convince me that, at the time, Stone Ocean was an unpopular and divisive part in JJBA's history, but I wouldn't know where to look to really confirm that tale.

Anyone know of places I could look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Stone Ocean as a whole or just the ending?

As a whole! I'm fairly aware of the divisive ending (Not just from here, but 7~ long break between SO and SBR), but being told SO as a whole was unpopular during its run interested me as I don't believe that's commonly spoken of?
When I got into reading the manga back in 2012-ish, something I recall reading is that from binge reading the series, people would get burnt out between either Golden Wind or Stone Ocean due to the heavy amount of Stand fights (And at the time not great translation of Golden Wind probably didn't help matters either). But that said, this is looking at Stone Ocean during the 2010's, versus the Japanese fanbase during the early 00's.

I think it's fun to discuss mostly because learning Golden Wind is popular in both Italy and Japan was very cool to hear, especially as it wasn't so before the newer translation. But Stone Ocean I don't really hear too much about.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Funky Valentine posted:

If I recall correctly from a database of such things I saw years and years ago, Jojo's jump rankings fell ever so slightly from its perpetually middle of the pack status during Stone Ocean.

To get a deeper look you'd have to check circa-2000 japanese internet and uh, that seems hard.

Scrolling through 2ch might be less of a tall task than Japanese internet scrolling, heh. But I never thought to look into Jump rankings, heck it could be interesting to look at some of the manga JJBA was paired up with for all these years. Like how in one of the crossover Jump titles that Jotaro and Luffy had a special move together. It was cute! :v:

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

If I remember how Love Train works, the flow of calamity would just be flung away from Funny to Somewhere Else right? So while Funny isn't technically immune, some dude is gonna wonder why a chipped airplane wing is coming for them from across the country.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

When you recruit someone into your party, it's good to learn about their vibes right? And honestly I find it so charming that music's becoming much more relevant in Jojo, such as Daiya's love for Yes.
It's been said before but I really enjoy the cast's dynamic a lot. This has felt to me the most energetic group dynamic that we had since Golden Wind (And arguably SBR, though that's more of a dynamic duo than a group ensemble)