Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Your favorite JoJo is the worst one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I forget, can Gyro see Stands for some reason or is that just not a thing in Part 7?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah but he doesn't have that for very long, I thought.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

multijoe posted:

Is Giorno going to do the thing today, or will that be next week?

It's hard to say. I remember the fights being mostly Green Day then Oasis instead of a mix, but the episode title is Green Day and Oasis Part 1 instead of just Green Day, so it might be next week.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There are still like nine eight nine chapters of Green Day and Oasis left, I suspect they'll break it into three and the super MUDA will be at the end of the next episode.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 17, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also I realize a lot of the reason it's so memorable is just the panel composition but I was a little underwhelmed by how they adapted this part:

Oh well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a good length, it might seem "short" but watching it all in a row is kind of exhausting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's been no censoring in part 5 anyways so i don't see why they would switch back to it for 6

6 has the toenail scene and I dunno if I want to see that uncensored

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't even watched the last two episodes because I really just have no patience for the end of Part 5, but I'm glad some people enjoy the bullshit I guess

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I knew it, I knew he said cock

What a hero

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

somepartsareme posted:

yeah that adlib actually makes no sense but if it's censored anyway then whatever

He changed the rest of the line too so it would fit, genius

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rude

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like Jolyne a ton but the ending of Part 6 is way too poorly defined for any reading to really work, which sucks. Don't like the ending myself, though I guess it's better than 5's.

Part 6 might as well end for me when Jolyne turns herself into a Mobius strip.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ahahahahahahaha, the new episode added a bunch of Narancia death flags immediately before he bites it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

multijoe posted:

Does he give that 'two days from retirement' speech in the manga? Because that was really on the nose lol

Nope!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, I was straight-up wrong, I guess. I actually checked those pages but they moved the bit back so I didn't catch it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Even after watching it in motion I'm still not entirely clear about Rolling Stones. There was no reason for Mista to freak out so much over Bruno touching it, right? Rolling Stones doesn't actually do anything? It just predicts your death?

Granted I haven't seen the episode yet but I seem to remember the manga making it clear that if it touches its "target" it kills them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The blood is gone, their destiny lifted. They can finally rest.

nah

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxyclean posted:

What are my (realistic) options for reading Stone Ocean? Or is that pretty :filez: territory?

It hasn't been released in English and the current English release of the manga is only up to Volume 2 of DiU.

The scans are good and pretty easy to find if you know where to look though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: think I missed a joke

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Expect My Mom posted:

obv don't wanna say it in the sbr thread, but I love that the question of Valentine's morality and justice is "vague" enough that even Johnny grapples with it and starts to believe him

And then they attack him when he has the dimensional gap and it's just the most brutally horrifying examples of the toxicity of his plan

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I disagree about the ending, not to start another argument about it. I don't think the things people like to read into it are really established dramatically within Part 6 very much at all to the point that it feels like people might as well be reading tea leaves, and the denouement is just too short and incomplete to really fill in any gaps. I'm not a guy who insists on plot focus but there's just not enough of an idea of what's actually going on in that last scene to make any statements people take out of it resonate with me.

But Jolyne turning herself into a Mobius strip is like, my favorite thing any JoJo ever does

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

the worst Stand fight is absolutely in Part 3

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

pick one at random

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jotaro is a good character but he's not a great protagonist of his own part. Part of it is that he's relentlessly one-note "cool," which is kind of offputting at first, and that plus his tendency to pull new powers straight out of his rear end whenever he needs them sucks pretty much any tension out of any fight he's a part of. His mellowing down in Part 4 actually really well contextualizes him in Part 3 though, as some guy who's just trying waaaaaaaaaaay too loving hard. The problem is that in Part 3 you never really see behind the facade.

The D'Arby fight is as good as it is at least partially because it's one of the few times in Part 3 where Jotaro's personality is actually like, important to the fight and helps him win. It doesn't involve his Stand at all, but you couldn't give his moment to Young Joseph or Josuke, it's all about his strengths as a character.

So, if we're contextualizing "best JoJo" by how good they are as protagonist within their own part, Jotaro is honestly probably in the lower half for me. He rises higher when we take into consideration his entire character arc across the series.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alessi was probably my actual pick for worst Stand fight in the series, considering that it's almost entirely a naked child Polnareff running away from the creepiest man alive and doing very little to actually attack him until Jotaro shows up and solves the problem for him

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sugar Mountain/Tattoo You might be my favorite "arc" in the series. Other than that, probably Highway Star and Grateful Dead/Beach Boy, yeah.

e: it was between Grateful Dead and White Album but I think I have to dock the latter points because Giorno is involved, even if only marginally, lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's 100% covid.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FirstAidKite posted:

Giorno isn't a monster though, he's Jonathan's will and belief in the importance of protecting others and his pure altruism and healing powers of the ripple combined with Dio's charisma, brutality, ambition, and ability to give life to the unliving.

The story does nothing with most of this and what it does use is barely felt by the audience. Giorno's "resolve" is something pretty much every JoJo has, and his is the most generic in execution.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You could probably remove the DIO part of Giorno's character entirely and I'd argue that it wouldn't change a single thing plot or characterwise.

Exactly. It feels like it's just there because Araki thought it would be fun if the JoJo for the part went MUDAMUDAMUDA, which, fair

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not a religious guy but I think the story of Christ is just a little more complicated than *list of stock standard shounen protagonist traits*

loving Josuke fits that better than Giorno

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Haruhi has kind of disappeared from the zeitgeist is the point I believe.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No question, Haruhi's death was 1000% self-inflicted.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't care if you like it, Endless Eight is a somewhat interesting idea that in execution loving destroyed the fanbase. Season 2 was incredibly hyped and the handling of that arc just derailed the entire series' perception. It's not about how good the series may or may not be, having almost two-thirds of the series' incredibly highly-anticipated follow-up season be dedicated to an intentionally boring and repetitive stunt just tanked the anime's legacy, to the point where it took me a good long while to even realize they'd released Disappearance after it came out. Nobody was talking about it in any circles I inhabited.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think anyone making the Araki Forgot joke is actually suggesting that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Crossposting from the anime thread:

Arist posted:

I was going through Netflix's "Upcoming" section and the trailer for Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan was dubbed. Found it on Youtube as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HDVr2kuHsc

Pretty sure that's not Vic, but it sounds so much like his Rohan that I can barely tell. Which I'm torn on, I didn't hate the performance in a vacuum but it's weird that they got whoever this dude is to do an impression of a sex pest.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eh, I've heard plenty of cases where voices have changed dramatically. But I'm basically just saying it's offputting because it's too good an impression. It would take me a while to notice the difference if I wasn't actively looking for nuances. It's totally a personal reaction, and I don't even have a huge problem with it because the old take on the character was solid, it's just... weird.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe not an improvement, then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Johnny Joestar posted:

one must free themselves from the mind prison of expecting a part 6 anime. davidpro is going to be making some isekai anime called like 'I Can't Believe My Little Sister Killed God' or whatever instead and the event is going to announce a jojo branded spread of wines

Good