Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hearing that Jojolion was about to end I decided to read the entire thing. It's weird because I feel like the series largely wrapped up its plot in a satisfying manner somewhere around volume 14, and then spent 13 volumes mostly spinning its wheels.

Like by volume 14 we've already learnt who Josuke is (Josefumi and Kira) and what the deal is with the Higashikata family (Joubin was working with the rock people to smuggle in fruits). We know why Kira was killed, and his killer launched a horrifying attack against the Higashikata family in order to try and finish the job. There are a few loose ends and inconsistencies, but the big questions have been answered and it seems like the bad guys have been defeated. From that point to me the main loose ends to tie up would be 1) a potential betrayal from Joubin, 2) Tsurugi's illness and 3) curing Holly with the fruit.

From it seems like the new villains we get mostly just exist to delay and obstruct the protagonists from achieving that second goal. Their motives aren't very well defined beyond money, and we don't learn who their leader is until we're fighting him (which to me made that feel like an overly long villain of the week fight). They don't really have much connection to the previous storyline about Joubin and the smuggling route, or the trouble Josefumi and Kira found themselves in. In addition both the fights at the hospital are pointless because the fruit was never there - Yasuho even works this out but is ignored. You could almost skip straight from volume 14 to the guard rail chapter and still be in mostly the same situation - all that's left is to try and cure Holly with the fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I do think a fight against the Joubin family might've been a more fitting conclusion, yeah. Joubin already had a reasonable amount of setup regarding his character and motivation.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I honestly think the resolution to the mystery was fine. Jousuke's true identity had a cool answer that tied into the villains and the wider story. But once that had been revealed the series lost its main motivating throughline and that didn't really get replaced.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

I mean that's sort of the problem is a lot of the parts of the original mystery weren't given a resolution. And then further mysteries that were brought up down the line that got ignored or apparently retconned instead.
What kind of parts? It didn't seem like there were many relevant questions left after the Vitamin C fight.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The flashforward just seems like an early draft of the finale where Norisuke discovers the branch and gets taken out by Joubin a bit earlier.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Relin posted:

that's not the way it's couched in the story. the ch. 75 bit is stated as fact by a narrator in the present, while ch. 99 is in the past. it was retconned (or he forgot).
Yeah it's a classic Araki-style retcon of the kind you can find in every part.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Norisuke was always intended to be a red herring (with Joubin being the actual link between the Higashikatas and the bad guys). The basement thing was never explained but it has a pretty trivial explanation - we already know Norisuke thought that Kira had discovered how to cure his family's curse, and he wanted to get that information out of him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume the original plan was for Norisuke to discover the plant and be taken out by Joubin a bit earlier in the story.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fereydun posted:

also someone pointing out that the pt6 anime is moving at like double speed of the other parts in terms of episode:chapter coverage (6-ish ch per episode instead of 2-3) really surprised me. i knew the intro dragged, but i didn't realize it was moving that fast
That's interesting, I've actually really enjoyed the pacing of the anime so far compared to the manga. There's a high density of good jokes and it's easier to roll with the utterly bizarre fights when they aren't dragging on.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Stand names are never about what they do, rather, they're whatever Araki's favorite song at the moment is.

Otherwise explain to me what Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap has to do with dimension hopping.
I think it has a vague thematic link to Valentine's philosophy about how it's OK to do bad things for your country.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The fact that he got a very obvious chance to redeem himself that he didn't take was my favourite part of the finale

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like Joseph and his style of fighting but yeah Wamuu and Cars are the only really memorable antagonists.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jotaro having The World makes sense imo. Dio keeps going on about how they have 'the same type of stand' and there's a couple times in the series where Star Platinum does something so incredibly fast off-screen it's as if it stopped time subconsciously (introductory chapter, D'Arcy fight when he's bluffing). Doubt that was intentional foreshadowing but it sort of works.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It should've wrapped up and ended shortly after Vitamin C. Almost everything is already resolved at that point anyway.

e: I thought it was a pretty good part up to that point.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Given that it's already established that the arrow will Just Kill You if you aren't worthy I can't imagine that deliberately trying to exploit it multiple times would turn out well.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There was indeed an eco-terrorist in Ark Angel with a map of the world tattooed on his head.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

JoJolion would be a decent to good part if it ended on Vitamin C.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just saw a video which pointed out that Tooru took around 45 hours to drive Yasuho across town to the final battle and I can't stop laughing

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Decided to finally catch up with part 9, a few thoughts:
- Have we seen anyone else as similar to their original version as Rohan in the new continuity? Obviously there are a lot of characters with the same name but even if they're recognisable they usually get a significant design shift. Part 9 Rohan honestly feels like he could just be the same guy. This is probably just Araki giving an enduring fan favourite one more outing but it's kindof funny when combined with that joke about him being able to keep up with the speed of Made in Heaven.
- Other than that, interesting that I can't really think of many other links to the original run other than Jodio -> Giorno and the whole "trying to succeed at crime" setup being sortof like part 5.
- While we had backstory for Jodio, we haven't really had any explanation for why a bunch of stands would manifest on O'ahu, right? I assume the lava rocks and weird water stuff could be linked but those all seem to be on the main island.
- Wonder if Charmingman is part rock human, since his skin doesn't seem to be directly related to his stand and we were told it was possible in part 9.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also it's kindof funny that for all the references I'm pretty sure this is the first time two characters have had a full conversation about music

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The cleaner is going after Usagi purely because he's pissed off about the ramen. He has nothing to do with the rocks or any other aspect of the plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Anubis is a Person User