Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Did Polnareff get shown this early in the manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Just saw the raw of the new episode. I can't believe GER sent Diavolo into the last DiU OP. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 5, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like the detail of the CD that falls away from Jolyne before the part where she breaks her handcuffs. At first it has her face on it, but then it turns into Star Platinum. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I kind of want to read Stone Ocean again. I re-read the Made in Heaven arc again and I was surprised that even with such a powerful ability, Pucci was still on the defensive the whole time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I still can't get over the copyright name change making the naming of Jolyne's Stand a bit funnier.

"I want to free myself from this sea of stone. That's why I'm calling my Stand Stone Ocean."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jotaro only gets interested in seeing his daughter when she qualifies as part of an aquarium, huh?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The end of the Marilyn Manson fight got trimmed a bit, too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arist posted:

Question: I forget, does anyone in Part 6 ever actually name Sports Maxx's Stand or is it only mentioned in, like, one of those Stand summary pages in between chapters? I desperately need to know if we're going to ever get to hear someone say "Flaccid Pancake" in the dub.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"I want to see the Ninja Turtles, dammit. Where the gently caress is Mikey!? If there's no Mikey, that poo poo ain't TMNT!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

dr.acula posted:

And also between Gwess and Formaggio.

I feel like Formaggio has a big advantage in that fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

dr.acula posted:

That whole being able to freeze the air around him in an instant probably would have come in handy against Jotaro

As I recall, that ability was said to be usable because Dio was in 100% control of his body on a cellular level. So he probably couldn't use it anymore while he was still fusing with Jonathan.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think Annasui is pretty hilarious post breakout tbh.

Annasui picks up a bit once FF dies, but I really wish he dropped the creepy fixation with Jolyne.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The ending of Stone Ocean is not as bleak as it might sound. Yes, everyone dies, but they're reincarnated into implied happier lives because the main villain is killed before completing his plan. The only downside is that the heroes don't remember Emporio, and he has to wrestle with the fact that they are not exactly the same people he originally befriended. Foo Fighters might also be permanently gone due to Pucci creating her unless the anime throws her a bone and includes her into the ending.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arist posted:

No, it's still incredibly bleak

I understand why, but I can't see it as a full on downer ending myself. Granted, I wouldn't call it a happy ending either.

Xand_Man posted:

There are a few things in Part 6 that make it obvious it's a dude writing a story that just happens to have a majority female cast, and the Anasui/McQueen portrayal of stalking as a bit of harmless fun is definitely one of them.

I wouldn't call McQueen "harmless fun" considering everyone thinks he's a dick for trying to drag someone down with him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think it bums me out that Josuke and Giorno and all their pals who survived their ordeals and grew as people all get wiped out

Wouldn't they be fine? They weren't killed before the reset, so they'd still exist.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The implication of the new universe is that Pucci doesn't exist, so I wonder if that causes changes to previous parts like Stardust Crusaders.

multijoe posted:

I honestly love that Joseph is the only Joestar ever to beat the curse and make it to old age, he's just too much of an undignified buffoon to have a poignant melodramatic death

He tried, but Jotaro refused to let him. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

It almost raises the question of what the point of defeating Dio was. Sure, that version of events would be even worse but knowing how it ends makes me like Jolyne and co less. It's all going in the dumpster anyway. Outside of the obvious things (Alessi, other creep poo poo) I usually don't have a problem with Arakis writing but here I feel he just hosed it.

I get not liking the ending or finding it divisive, but I wouldn't say everything is in the dumpster. It's not like Pucci wins.

I will admit that it's disappointing this is the final battle and the Duwang Gang and Gangstars aren't present. Also, the only female protagonist gets killed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think the Stone Ocean ending would be a bit less divisive if Jolyne wasn't the only MC to die in their part after Jonathan.

Aside from Johnny, I guess, but Civil War brings him back to life almost immediately.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

NyaNyaMeister posted:

now that Part 6 is slowly releasing its episode batches, does this mean that the Pucci question will be brought up again only to be finally put to rest?

What is the Pucci question? The KKK thing?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Having re-read MiH last week, I can concur with that. I still think Anasui is creepy and off-putting, but him being willing to sacrifice himself or, earlier still, give up his life just so long as FF puppeted his body to remove Jotaro's disc before it was destroyed, does seem to show that he was becoming a better person. Somewhat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If Pucci doesn't exist, that could potentially impact DIO in a different way and lead to a different version of Stardust Crusaders.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The World Diego was good if only because Erina finally got her revenge six parts later.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't find myself enthused about Part 5 ending with Gold Experience developing another new ability.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

In a franchise that prides itself in having fights be won through trickery, bluffs, mind games, and thinking five steps ahead of your opponent, ending a fight by haviing a Stand gain the ability to go "Nuh-uh, you didn't hit me. In fact, you also die forever!" is pretty lackluster.

It's not only that, but the fact that there's never really a Stand that counters Gold Experience's abilities aside from White Album making things too cold to manipulate life. Otherwise, Gold Experience's bullshit is broad enough that it can always win in whatever situation Giorno is in.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Re-reading the Planet Waves/Survivor arc. Holy poo poo, this fight is brutal. :dogstare:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pucci's backstory makes me feel bad for him. It doesn't absolve him for all of the bullshit that he does afterwards, but still. :smith:

FirstAidKite posted:

This panel is the litmus test

"He would later die of a cold."

At least he got freed, but :negative:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

My favorite detail about Sandman is that he's introduced with sand powers, only to be like "Haha, why would you call me Sandman when my name is Soundman?".

And then everyone still calls him Sandman after the fact anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Re-reading Jail House Lock, that ability still scares me. Memory things always freak me out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

King Crimson is more consistent than Gold Experience, but then you still have weird things like "King Crimson can't move things during skipped time, but let me just empty out my hotel room during skipped time while the cleaning lady walks in on me."

Arist posted:

The way to solve Part 5's climax is ridiculously obvious in hindsight: just loving make Epitaph Doppio's Stand instead of a sub-Stand of King Crimson so that Diavolo's foreknowledge disappears with Doppio's death, and then the fights can actually involve proper JoJo trickery and wit instead of Giorno just saying "I'm rubber and you're glue."

This fits with the fortuneteller's commentary about Doppio being the key to Diavolo's success even.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

bobjr posted:

Is there a limit to what Rohan can even write in someone?

Depending on how cynical you are about religion, Rohan either made a determination on the final resting place for Cheap Trick's soul independently of God or straight up created Hell just to send Cheap Trick there.

So probably not!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, it's really weird how DIO is all "Haha, I'm stronger than I've ever been before.", but he is able to take less hits in his super mode than he was beforehand. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nephthys posted:

It's also why all the Pucci fights except Made in Heaven are great. His first 2 stands aren't that overpowered so Jolyne beats him by just fighting smarter and better.

Honestly, even with Made in Heaven, he was scared to attack them directly until he killed Anasui through a carefully executed indirect attack.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I forget, Stairway to Heaven doesn't have any other combat applications beyond "time go fast" right? Like it never throws a punch or kick and just kind of hangs out while Pucci has to do all the killing himself.

It grabs Stone Free's hand when Pucci has Jolyne stab Anasui, but that's the extent of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's kind of funny that the Crusaders with the most versatile Stands are the ones that died in Part 3, while the ones that are more one-trick ponies lived to eat poo poo in later parts.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

First chapter of Hol Horse, Josuke Combi spin off is out

https://mangadex.org/chapter/9e717009-fb41-424e-b4e6-41e602262aea

Mariah and Kenny G hooking up? That's... weird.

Seems okay so far. Nothing particularly gripping; just okay. That said, I do like the idea of the characters struggling to determine their identities now that they're away from DIO.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Also, I thought this story took place before DiU, but Josuke can already fully summon Crazy Diamond and knows what Stand Users are, so that can't be.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

The author of the jolyne one shot is getting death threats on twitter unfortunately.
Look at the replies and quote retweets of the below tweet.
https://twitter.com/aimoto1222/status/1471995347472125952

Twitter continues to have been a mistake.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A bit hornier than I'd expect from JoJo, but that wasn't as bad as everyone made it seem. It was kind of funny.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Well, Jolyne probably is the horniest Jojo.

True. And on the plus side, it wasn't the uncomfortable kind of horny like "Oh, here's Forever cornering Anne in a shower or literally everything with Baby Face."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I agree that Abbacchio should've become the new boss.