Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

But I had it on this thread's good authority that Araki has been around since the dawn of time.

RIP Toriyama, though.

It's what I love about Araki, man. I get older, he stays the same age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

they want shady
May 11, 2013
To not just shitpost, I've spent the last few months doing a reread of Jojo and it's great, obvoiously. What actually surprised me is I'm actually liking Jojolion a lot on a re-read. It's tremendously goofy in a good way.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Like, seriously, part 8 Josuke is up there with my favorite protagonists. The slight buck-teeth Araki gives him helps a lot, but he's just got some great faces in general. Sort of got it when reading monthly, but reading it all at once definitely helped in seeing that part 8 revels a lot in what made part 4 great.

It's a trip seeing more clearly how Araki remixes all the elements from previous Jojo's in part 7 and 8. Steel Ball Run, which is still a stone cold classic btw, blends together just about every element worth a drat from the odd-numbered parts. It gets its structure from Stardust Crusaders, the direct characters and parallels from Phantom Blood, and its villain heirarchy from Golden Wind (also the final battle with Valentine is just Gold Expirience Requiem done right).

Part 8's really similar but with the odd numbered parts. Stone men are just pillar men but more nuanced and with clearer goals as they're actually striving to integrate into society, small town mysteries is all part 4 and part 8 explores some more of that with gusto, and Part 6 is the actual mystery Jojo's and part 8 builds on a lotta stand powers from that part (eg. Mamezuku is just Jolyne, Tsurugi's Kiss but more metaphorical, California King Bed's just a riff on Jaile House Lock, etc.) Still got exactly 3 chapters left of my re-read on that part, 2 of which are that world's Josuke flashback. So if you've got another perspective on all this poo poo I'd be happy to hear it, just commenting since it's all near and dear to my heart rn.