Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Binge read this whole thing over the last two days after finding out it was ending soon and not wanting to touch it until it's complete and uh

I think I might hate it? Jojo has obviously always been about weird poo poo happening and that's part of what makes it great but this is the first time where it felt like 99% of the story was weird poo poo and then like 1% was concerned with actually being an interesting narrative to the point that the manga doesn't even end so much as it comes to a rolling stop way past the sign and then gets hit by a semi in the middle of the intersection. After the end I don't really care for the characters or about what happened to them because it felt more like a vehicle for Araki to draw whatever images came to mind than anything resembling a story.

Honestly pretty apprehensive about another part but I guess I won't read that for a decade anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah I think the bottom line for Jojolion is "less than the sum of its parts" - most individual fights are pretty good, and the characters are fun, but they never really mesh together into a cohesive whole. Reading it all at once is better than reading it month to month though, imo.

I can't imagine if I had read this monthly for a decade waiting for a lot of mysteries to get solved that kind of get shrugged off by the end

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheLoneStar posted:

Didn't Araki mention having an outline of Part 9 when Stall Ball Run was still in its run? If JoJolion still ended up like how it did with that in mind, it makes me wonder about how the next Part will be. I'm still cautiously optimistic, though.

I just want to real quick say that "stall ball run" would have been a good name for jojolion in the end

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's a step up from their usual anime release schedule of "release half the show six months after its finished in Japan"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Goddamn this show is gorgeous

We've come so far from the rough looking part 1/2 adaptations

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Schwarzwald posted:

If I had to pick which part of the Jojo anime I thought looked rough, I wouldn't have gone with 1/2.

The art style in 1/2 is fine but the animation is very obviously incredibly limited.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
late but I really appreciate Thus Spake for reminding everyone that the Jojo universe(s) have a lot of weird rear end supernatural poo poo going on that has nothing to do with Stands at all

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Waffleman_ posted:

The novel that Demonic Heartbreak was an advertisement for came out today and if early Japanese impressions are right, it is the worst piece of Jojo media ever

hell yeah!!!!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just can't jive with a mystery story where most of the answers end up being "eh it didn't really matter" or "oh I totally forgot to resolve that one oh well"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Did you guys know 7th Stand User got a modded version that removes the random battles in favor of Earthbound-style enemies on the map? Because I didn't. Makes that game a thousand times better.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What? No there were random battles too. That's the whole problem with replaying the game, the encounter rate made it a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pootybutt posted:

Danny puppetry? Oh we're cookin, boys

yeah he'll be cookin alright