Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I never watched any jojo dubbed before and I really wish I had, going through part 4 with english dubs is amazing

it got a lot of laughs out of me but the delivery when kira talks about mona lisa's hands keep giving me the giggles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Could Tonio's food cure COVID

Presumably. I wish I had a Tonio, instead of going to the dentist I could just eat some nice italian food :)

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

love that he has the iconic bicolor triangles in his winged heart chestpiece and the shoulder pads look pretty neat, that with the rest of the look of his outfit makes me wonder if he's gonna be a motorcycle-ridin joj

can't wait to see his stand in 3 months when it's finally revealed

also looking forward to the initial, lovely translation we'll get before the proper translation

didn't part 8 have some weird dudes translating that were overly verbose and had weird word choice early on? or am i misremembering
not as bad as duwang but unlike duwang, it wasn't funny

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

God I'm loving jojolands so far :allears: it immediately grabbed me in a way that's comparable to SBR I'd say. I need to reread jojolion now that it's finished and I won't have to wait a month between chapters. I didn't dislike it but it didn't grab me the way SBR and jojolands did. I'm willin' to bet jojolion will be the black sheep for a little while until people re-read it with a good translation, VA style.

Lovin these freak cats. I wonder if they're rock people(animals?) because it seems like that's more than just a freaky reaction, but actual shapeshifting (as substantiated by some dialog). I'm also puttin my :10bux: down that they're not just animals looking to eat, but working with a criminal organization. Either a rival org OR they're meryl mei qi's enforcers, looking to wipe out the jojocrew to make sure they don't get their hands on the lava rock and/or can't blab about it.

Jojolands Good

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

TriffTshngo posted:

Having read the entirety of it for the first time in the month between JoJoLands chapters 1 and 2, I don't think having it all available is going to raise many peoples' opinions, or at least not nearly to the degree that sentiment about Part 5 has improved since the anime/better manga translations came out. It has some good stuff in it but by and large it was just underwhelming, unsatisfying, and kind of annoying. My actual thoughts on this are a lot more detailed but I'll summarize my biggest issue: I feel like Part 8 operates on batshit Araki dream logic way more frequently than every other part does, and it wound up detracting from how much I gave a poo poo about the characters or what they were doing. Also Soft & Wet is the worst protagonist stand in the series.

Well dang, that's pretty much how I felt reading it in real time and hoped it'd be remedied by a better translation and being able to blaze through it all. Still worth a shot though!

And soft & wet's ability is kinda lame, but hot drat it's probably my favorite main character stand design. top tier style

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I'm just rereading some jojolands in anticipation for the next chapter, something I didn't tend to do very much during the release of jojolion, which really tells me how much I'm digging this part. I have a feeling it might be my #1 but I'm not willing to call it until I'm old and gray and the part has finished (and araki will look exactly the same)

One of the sites I've read it on has cropped jojo yaoi randomly interspersed which always throws me for a loop when I inevitably forget that website likes to pull that gag

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Dragona was stated to have gotten chest injections and uses Atashi as a pronoun (which is usually feminine) but they have been referred as Aniki in most promotional material.

Either he's just into feminine looks but still identifies as a guy or she's trans and Jodio doesn't fully get it so he still calls Dragona big bro.

I've seen "aniki" used to refer to women with seniority in criminal organizations in other manga (and most certainly for men) but I have no idea if that is the norm! I don't speak this language! I figured that's what the "big bro" translation was representing, too, and assumed it wasn't actually intended to be a gendered term in this context. I am probably wrong, though. Maybe. Actually, no, I'm probably right and if you disagree with me you are, in fact, wrong. It's so great being right all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

yet again a jojolands chapter ends way too soon