Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arist posted:

Also I realize a lot of the reason it's so memorable is just the panel composition but I was a little underwhelmed by how they adapted this part:

TBH this I feel a lot of part 5 (and latter part 4) has really failed as, like, an adaption.

A lot of what makes Jojo so good is how it plays with panel layouts, perspectives, and how it uses exposition as a tool to heighten the tension. Often these techniques arn't as effective in an animated format, and so the series suffers from being as literally translated as it is.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

i really can't disagree with this less

things like the music, colors and voice acting have increased this series exponentially for me. i agree that some things certainly got lost in translation, but all that doesn't matter to me when we get things like the torture dance, or kira's VA preformance or narancia's crying

The torture dance was very good, but I feel like that's an exception that proves my point. For one, in the manga it's a set of panels all shown from the same perspective that's designed to show choreography, so it's uniquely suited to being adapted into animation. For another, the anmation expanded upon the manga panels significantly, that is, they went farther in adapting it. It shows that the anime can be quite good when they actually take liberties with the material, so what a shame they don't do that more often!

Compare that with the Thankful Dead episodes. Any given scene from them looks like a direct copy from a manga panel, only in place of the dynamic panel layout they have speed lines and graphical effects -- and while the graphical effects can be great, they're not so great that they make up for the fact that there basically isn't any animation.

This ties into your praise for the VA's and performances and such. You're correct that they're great, but that doesn't make it a good anime, it makes it a good audio drama.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bad Seafood posted:

He's a man of the land,
He's into discipline.
Got a Bible in his hand
And a beard on his chin.
But if he finishes all of his chores
And you finish thine
Then tonight we're gonna party
Like it's

drat

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've been trying my hardest not to go "YO BUT PART 6 THO" to my Jojo watching crew during this season, and to my shame I have not always succeeded.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I dig Dio 2.0, not as much as a character, but as this demonic figure Valentine calls to existence (from a world without "the saint" even!), bargains with, and then sets loose.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

e: Wes was also was never able to kill himself, the chamber of the gun would be full of water or a gust of wind would lift him back on to a cliff if he tried to jump, so Weather Report itself seems to be a tad autonomous when it wants to be, a sorta Larry Trainor /Negative Spirit sorta deal

wonderin how many little RC cars WR has in his cell

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yinlock posted:

plus aiming toes is way harder

especially when you can't move your legs

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Crazy Diamond's ability to heal people and restore objects is just a side effect of its true ability: to impose character development.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yinlock posted:

the thing is he and doppio are entirely separate people so it's more like doppio's gone through all that buildup and diavolo is just some rear end in a top hat in a bad shirt

That's the bigger problem. There's a handful of scenes where Doppio loses the soft idiot kid mask and he becomes this ruthless killer. Compared to him, actual Diavolo is just so disappointing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Pucci's idealized heaven is one in which everyone is aware of the exact circumstances of their fate and therefor be at peace. The consequences of Emporio defeating him is an end to that certainty.

This is represented firstly by Emporio and representives of the dead being placed outside of prison and secondly by the story coming to an end, such that neither the author or the reader can know what happens next.

I ain't about to tell anyone their opinion is wrong or anything, but I felt Part 6 stuck the landing super hard. And while all of Jojo is consistently excellent, Parts 6 and 7 are the only one's I'd consider next to flawless.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The real tragedy with Doppio/Diavolo is that not only is Diavolo as a character less interesting than Doppio as a character , he's not even as interesting as Diavolo as a voice in Doppio's head.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The rock is good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Dio is an embodiment of Valentine's desire to pervert the corpse of Jesus for the benefit of America.

As such, he's consumed in a Christ/Anti-Christ reaction.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Giorno comes from the right ball, his siblings from the left one

That's not fair to them. They never received the validation of a greatful gangstar.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

And Ungalo just looks like...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's a horse race with cowboys, so clearly it should be tagged "Western Garbage."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://twitter.com/jeluto_/status/1161047037187710977

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I wanted to reply to this thread from the Let's Read, but it's pretty drat suggestive of things to come so I'm writing it here.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's the source of some of my biggest gripes with part 7 and i'm sad to say it's not the last time someone is weird towards lucy steel

i don't really know how to explain it other than it maybe being a combination of araki just like halfway seemingly not comprehending the concept of age (like giorno is apparently goddamn 15 years old what the gently caress) and it being some idea that it was like that back in the day for whatever reason

i don't know. it sucks.

It's not just[ people being weird towards Lucy, it's people projecting qualities onto her and then trying to possess her, as like a sort of talisman. Specifically, it's a manifestation of the same greed people express toward the corpse.

Only, while the corpse is this (apparently) inanimate dead thing, Lucy is a living person. In associating the two, we're told that taking the corpse is not a neutral act of having an object, but as malicious as transgressing against a person. And desiring Lucy is not a neutral case of failing to "comprehend the concept of age" or OK just long as you're "back in the day" or whatever, but an act of blasphemy.

The point of this is to highlight, in bold and triple underline that the President and co. are not just an adventurous crew rowdy to do some action archaeology, but genuinely evil people who's aims are ruinous to the safety and well being of others, especially the powerless.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Jojo Part 6 is the ultimate in Araki going all in on narrative logic at the expense of actual logic and it rules hard.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Funky Valentine posted:

I feel like the Diavolo half of the Doppio/Diavolo gestalt would need to be way more compelling than he actually was for that to work.

That's a given for any improved take on part 5.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vookatos posted:

I've heard that this part is divisive, and I get that (especially with that ending), but I'm guessing it's all because it's an anthology series, where every entry just doesn't grab some people. If it's actually a majority's least favorite, I really don't get why. I think it's the part I've enjoyed the most so far!

This person gets it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vookatos posted:

A bit of an abrupt ending (still more satisfying than Part 5's) is offputting, but maybe that new world is why we don't know what will happen to those people. No one determined their fate, not even the author, and that's pretty sweet in its own right.
Or maybe I'm reading way too much into this, I dunno.

That's my take as well.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Josuke Higashikata posted:

JoJolion has also climaxed like three times already

This is the power of four balls.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GimmickMan posted:

Usually the way Araki writes villains makes it clear they're just prettyboy lunatics. Jojo is not the kind of story where the protagonist spends 10 speech balloons explaining to the big bad why their worldview is wrong, instead they prove it with their actions. This mostly syncs up with what happens during True Man's World with Ringo, with the exception that Gyro proves Ringo temporarily correct by killing him instead of knocking him out and then later is inspired by his words. I wouldn't mind the arc as a whole if it wasn't for both of those things happening and that's what separates him from Axl Ro and Valentine, who are quickly forgotten or are immediately proven to be full of poo poo afterwards.

Ringo having a worldview that proves somewhat attractive to Gyro and Johnny (despite its repulsiveness) isn't an endorsement of that worldview but characterization.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 21, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

multijoe posted:

Valentine legit changes from chubster to insanely jacked guy over one scene as he's menacing Lucy in his mansion. There's no alternate reality shenanigans, it's just Araki playing the Tamani stature thing for drama, you can go look it up.

See also: Pesci, Damo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pootybutt posted:

a particularly lovely and/or broken Requiem stand awakening.

Now I'm imagining King Crimson except it just doesn't work.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Part 6 has a lot of false starts and dead ends where its pretty obvious Araki changed his mind, but while its plot wavers it's one of the most thematically strong and consistent parts. It also absolutely nails its ending.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheLoneStar posted:

We can all at least agree that Part 6 hosted the worst Stand battle in JoJo history, Dragon's Dream, right?

Dragon's Dream was below average but not miserably so. Part 5 had more than a couple fights that were just as bad.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Jotaro really only has so many ways to engage with the world.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Goo Goo Dolls is the good version of the Alessi fight.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arist posted:

Sugar Mountain/Tattoo You might be my favorite "arc" in the series.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Toplowtech posted:

It's harder to crash a boat but i am sure he can manage.

The villain's plan was to crash an airplane into the boat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheLoneStar posted:

I can't think of any other fight where it's that egregious.

That's true, but I think it works in context. The fact that the stand was pretty much manifesting the user's guilty conscious, and that the nonsense Feng Shui was only a reflection of that, was enough for me to go along with it.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 16, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'd write a post agreeing with the other poster but now all I can think of is a goatse stand

This power I have, I've named it

「Supermassive Black Hole」

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dragonwagon posted:

I still can't take Valentine's emoji speech seriously.

Valentine knows he has maybe a minute to play this rube or else he dies and he's overclocking his politician processors to try and make that happen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Part 6 had an evil baby and it did not get shot.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
if your heart is not chill, do not shoot

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I dunno. 89 years is a long time. :/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

rko posted:

It’s nowhere near as egregious as, say, Part 4 Josuke’s never-followed-up flashback to a guy who looks just like him saving his life in a series that includes time travel, or course.

The never touched on mystery on why Josuke looks just like this person he modeled himself after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

rko posted:

Conservation of detail? When the author shows you something, you expect it to matter, especially when the scene appears to be setting up a mystery (who was that rude punk).

You're viewing the scene as a set up, but it's the pay-off of and explanation for Josuke's defensive behavior.