Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

TikTok is Chinese, therefore bad, unlike Elon and X, which are epic and win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

drat there's no possible way to make a flattering caricature of the shitboer, is there? His face is so hosed up

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I fully and unconditionally support the Twitter ban, but only because it's a small step between this and the banning of all opposition media.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Jose posted:

All of the X-Men and you go with noted virgin wolverine

Hey, hey! Wolverine fucks! So much he even has two kids. Granted, one is a clone grown in a lab and the other is a poo poo-head rear end in a top hat. Point is I will not stand for this erasure of the canon!

:goonsay:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZMJOJBFNqg

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Why would you or anyone post this if you weren't Amarillo or worse. What's the button to kick you in the rear end

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Buenos Aires, November 2001. Argentina is embroiled in crisis, with the peso plunging deeper and deeper. Julio Färber, the charismatic bandoneon player of the "Vecinos de Pompeya," a five-piece working-class tango band, is trying to keep his head above water, but every month he is earning less and less from their gigs as well as from the traditional shoe shop he inherited from his father. At the very moment he takes the decision to leave his beloved Buenos Aires forever, it clearly appears that life is conspiring against him: overnight, the government freezes all bank accounts in the whole country, preventing Julio from purchasing the flight tickets and sparking violent protests throughout the town. And Mariela, a witty young woman and feisty cab driver, bumps into his car at full speed, damaging Julio’s last possession of value before stealing his heart.

The an award-winning screenplay by Stephan Puchner, Fernando Castets and Kral, was inspired by the real tragic events that shook Argentina in late 2001. The government froze all the country's bank accounts from one day to the next, which became known in Argentina as the "Corralito" (little stall). Three weeks later, the December 19 and 20 pot-banging protests in the streets brought down the government at the time.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

it is 2001. I am living in Buenos Aires and trying to survive hyperinflation.
it is 2002. I am living in Buenos Aires and trying to survive hyperinflation.
it is 2003. I am living in Buenos Aires and trying to survive hyperinflation.
it is 2004. I am living in Buenos Aires and trying to survive hyperinflation.
it is 2005…

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEVG1wSC0e0

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
So there was a voting day simulacrum across 400 colleges and faculties all over Mexico, with over 250 thousand students casting their vote for the current presidential candidates.

https://www.animalpolitico.com/elecciones-2024/presidencia/simulacro-electoral-universitario-2024?rtbref=rtb_kdkpwbe0xu0gks1to_1714493320724

The results? SHOCKING: Claudia Sheinbaum got 63.5%, Jorge Alvarez Maynez 23.5%, and Xochitl Galvez 8.5%.

Couldn't even break double-digits, even with less than a month to go before voting day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6CTeMMtGqY

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kal-L posted:

So there was a voting day simulacrum across 400 colleges and faculties all over Mexico, with over 250 thousand students casting their vote for the current presidential candidates.

https://www.animalpolitico.com/elecciones-2024/presidencia/simulacro-electoral-universitario-2024?rtbref=rtb_kdkpwbe0xu0gks1to_1714493320724

The results? SHOCKING: Claudia Sheinbaum got 63.5%, Jorge Alvarez Maynez 23.5%, and Xochitl Galvez 8.5%.

Couldn't even break double-digits, even with less than a month to go before voting day.

yeah maynez is cannibalizing xochitl HARD

which makes sense, if you look at their ads they mostly avoid badmouthing MORENA but go hard agaisnt the PRIAN

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Kal-L posted:

I know that the "Xochitl" part of her name caused her to set the world on fire in the United States but that is not enough in Mexico

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/robin_j_brooks/status/1788568256963383609

when the economists are cheering that's when you know things are going wrong

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Danann posted:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

imports have dramatically dropped off because most other countries don’t accept toilet paper in return for trade goods.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

babypolis posted:

yeah maynez is cannibalizing xochitl HARD

which makes sense, if you look at their ads they mostly avoid badmouthing MORENA but go hard agaisnt the PRIAN

I mean, criticizing a popular president that has actually done good stuff for the people is a terrible idea. But they just can't let go of their hate against AMLO, all because just by being half-decent he makes the previous ones look loving terrible.

bedpan posted:

I know that the "Xochitl" part of her name caused her to set the world on fire in the United States but that is not enough in Mexico

Did she had a period of popularity in the U.S.? Because here since day one she's only been popular among the PRIAN crew, and it has been a constant decline since then. One could even start to feel bad for her, because originally she was supposed to be the candidate for CDMX, but she turned into a meme and got some national attention that the PRIAN bosses thought meant she was popular enough to be a presidential candidate.

But then I remember she's a corrupt piece of poo poo, doing all this on behalf of even bigger pieces of poo poo. So let's hope we never hear from her again after June 3, if only to see her in the news arrested because of her crimes.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

imports have dramatically dropped off because most other countries don’t accept toilet paper in return for trade goods.

I thought that here we are all in agreement that material reality doesn't exist, and that only balance sheets that show number go up are real. Or is that just the Doomsday Economics thread?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Kal-L posted:

I mean, criticizing a popular president that has actually done good stuff for the people is a terrible idea. But they just can't let go of their hate against AMLO, all because just by being half-decent he makes the previous ones look loving terrible.

Did she had a period of popularity in the U.S.? Because here since day one she's only been popular among the PRIAN crew, and it has been a constant decline since then. One could even start to feel bad for her, because originally she was supposed to be the candidate for CDMX, but she turned into a meme and got some national attention that the PRIAN bosses thought meant she was popular enough to be a presidential candidate.

But then I remember she's a corrupt piece of poo poo, doing all this on behalf of even bigger pieces of poo poo. So let's hope we never hear from her again after June 3, if only to see her in the news arrested because of her crimes.

I'll go looking for the articles later but around a year ago a bunch of pieces came out in all the normal rags in the US about brave, wise, indigenous latina is going to topple AMLO and enact a reign of neoliberalism to last 1000 years. Then she dropped right off the map again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Here's one that hits every note that they were pushing at the time.

The Guardian posted:

Xóchitl Gálvez’s prickly presidential bid a thorn in side of Mexican leader
But the buoyant politician with some decidedly progressive views has to win over voters from the conservative Pan party

Over breakfast at an upscale Mexico City restaurant, Senator Xóchitl Gálvez struggled to get a word in amid the stream of interruptions as well-wishers came to shake her hand, pleading with her to run for higher office.

Such shows of enthusiasm are rare these days for politicians in Mexico’s seemingly soulless opposition. But since she announced a bid for the presidency last month, the excitement around Gálvez has risen to fever pitch: a poll published on Wednesday by El Financiero newspaper showed the senator within striking distance of the governing party’s leading candidates.

Suddenly, Gálvez has energized Mexico’s 2024 presidential race, which for years had seemed all but certain.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s landslide win in 2018 dealt a crushing blow to opposition parties: they lost election after election, while the president’s popularity remained sky-high. Given Mexican law forbids re-election, the only question seemed to be which of the president’s favorites would be vaulted to victory. Now, that path may be more difficult.

“She’s a woman with a lot of personal confidence, a lot of humor,” said Blanca Heredia, a Mexican political analyst, of Gálvez. “And for me something that is especially important is that she’s not afraid of Andrés Manuel López Obrador.”

Although representing the conservative Pan party, Gálvez has pushed a more progressive agenda, promoting laws to expand domestic workers’ rights and championing clean energy. But she built up her brand through a series of political stunts, including dressing in an inflatable dinosaur costume to protest controversial electoral reforms.

And when López Obrador, or Amlo as he’s known, falsely claimed Gálvez wanted to end his social programs, Gálvez obtained a judge’s order securing her right of reply and showed up at one of the president’s morning press briefings last month.

The doors to the National Palace remained shut, but the ensuing media frenzy opened a path for the freshman senator’s presidential ambitions.

Within weeks, Gálvez, who many assumed would run for mayor of Mexico City, was coasting down the Paseo de la Reforma, the city’s main boulevard, on her bike, traditional huipil blouse blowing in the wind, cameras clicking as she arrived to register for the opposition primary.

“At the very least I knew that I was going to make this thing interesting because it’s been really dull,” Gálvez said in a recent interview. “It got a lot more interesting than I thought.”

Since then, Gálvez has inspired fawning opinion columns, graced front pages of major newspapers, gone viral on social media and drawn crowds at rallies across the country. But her greatest boost has come from Amlo himself, who has regularly attacked her in his daily news conferences.

“It seems like Andrés Manuel is her campaign director,” said Heredia. “The president has the biggest audience imaginable in Mexico.”

Amlo’s most recent attacks have focused on Gálvez’s business, going so far as to tweet a document listing state and private contracts obtained by the firm, supposedly worth tens of millions of dollars.

“When the president messes with my business and makes public my clients’ private information – that’s a crime,” said Gálvez. “As Shakira says, ‘Women don’t cry – we invoice.’ I have a business on the straight and narrow that’s been running for 31 years.”

Such cheeky quips are partly what have made Gálvez stand out from the rather uninspiring figures leading Mexico’s political landscape. But her personal story has also been crucial.

Gálvez was born in an impoverished community in Hidalgo state; her father was physically abusive and battled alcoholism. As a young girl, she worked with her mother selling puddings to make ends meet.

She graduated with an engineering degree from Mexico’s National Autonomous University, and went on to found a successful firm specializing in intelligent building design.

In 2000, then president Vicente Fox chose her to head up the National Institute of Indigenous Peoples. She ran unsuccessfully for governor of Hidalgo in 2010, before winning the mayorship of the wealthy Miguel Hidalgo borough in Mexico City in 2015. She entered the Mexican senate in 2018.

Gálvez’s rags-to-riches story provides a sharp contrast to other opposition candidates, one of whom is the son of a former president. And despite being in politics for years, she hasn’t been tainted by the graft scandals that have ensnared many in Mexico, making it harder for Amlo’s punches against the “corrupt elite” to find their mark.

“She has a kind of armor through her own story,” said Heredia.

Still, Mexico’s elections are nearly a year away, and there are relatively few polls showing that Gálvez has been embraced by Mexican voters, millions of whom are fiercely loyal to Amlo.

It’s not clear that that media buzz, from the columnists and pundits and opinion writers, has a social base,” said Carlos Pérez Ricart, a political scientist at the Center for Research and Teaching in Economics in Mexico City. “She reminds me more of a good song on Spotify that rises rapidly up the charts, but can fall just as quickly.”

To even claim the nomination, Gálvez will first have to win over voters from the Pan party, a conservative base largely opposed to the senator’s progressive views on issues like abortion. And even if she manages to secure the nomination, she will still have to unite a fractious coalition while also carrying the baggage of political parties tainted by decades of corruption.

“A personal narrative is great for a reality show,” said Pérez Ricart. “I’m not sure it’s enough to win the presidency.”

Gálvez counters that her campaign is not about party ideology but rather about uniting voters desperate to address some of Mexico’s greatest issues: widespread violence, an ailing healthcare system, an economy driven by dirty power.

“I’m an engineer who knows how to solve problems,” she said.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It was a coordinated media campaign, but most Americans dgaf about US presidential politics let alone foreign ones

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

For the purpose of this analysis, we postulate that the human brain is a perfect sphere -

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Danann posted:

relevant that the government just said that education is not a right and is going after education (especially tertiary), which even the most boring idiot orthodox economists from the IMF agree as being good for the economy and society

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kal-L posted:

Xochi is definitely popular in Northern Mexico. But also that's where all the most conservative people are including all the loving regios and fresas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah xochitl has a very good chance at winning NL, coahuila, baja sur, and maybe one of the affluent states north of cdmx

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

dead gay comedy forums posted:

relevant that the government just said that education is not a right and is going after education (especially tertiary), which even the most boring idiot orthodox economists from the IMF agree as being good for the economy and society

it seems the goal of every idiot fascist is that of Antonio de Salazar's Portugal: minimal literacy and a society based around "fado, Fatima, e futbol".

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Isentropy posted:

it seems the goal of every idiot fascist is that of Antonio de Salazar's Portugal: minimal literacy and a society based around "fado, Fatima, e futbol".

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FT/status/1790074014683078818
https://archive.ph/kHvOr

quote:

archive.ph
IMF holds off on fresh Argentina loan despite praise for Javier Milei
3–4 minutes

The IMF has damped expectations of an imminent new loan for crisis-stricken Argentina, even as it praised its “better than expected” performance on economic targets under libertarian president Javier Milei.

The fund said on Monday that Argentina had met all the targets of its existing $43bn loan in the first quarter of 2024, and that it would release funds worth $800mn in line with the programme’s current schedule.

Argentina needs the money to pay the IMF back for borrowing by previous governments under the programme, which was originally worth $57bn when taken out in 2018. It was refinanced in 2022.

Milei, who has slashed Argentina’s fiscal deficit since taking office in December, said in a March interview that his government was “in a very strong position” to reach a new deal with the IMF. He added that he wanted to raise $15bn from external lenders to support his plan to remove Argentina’s strict capital controls, which economists say are a major barrier to growth.

Argentina’s finance secretary Pablo Quirno told the Financial Times that the government and the IMF had begun to discuss a new agreement in recent weeks.

“But we are speaking without urgency,” he said. “For once Argentina is not going to the Fund from a place of necessity . . . we are focused on proving that this government delivers on its promises.”

Analysts said the IMF was unlikely to approve extra funds for Argentina — which is already its largest debtor and has had 22 IMF loans since 1958 — until Milei can prove his reforms are sustainable.

“A new agreement will come after 2025’s midterm elections, when a favourable result [for Milei] would act as a trampoline for him to implement the structural reforms the IMF supports,” said Sebastián Menescaldi, associate director of Argentina’s EcoGo consultancy.

Milei controls less than 15 per cent of seats in congress. He has so far relied on executive power to deliver Argentina’s first quarterly primary fiscal surplus since 2008, including by slashing social spending and suspending public works projects.

Last month Milei won lower house backing for his first pieces of legislation, a wide-ranging economic reform bill and a set of tax hikes. But tough battles are expected over both bills in the senate.

Argentina’s economic crisis has deepened in recent months, with real wages and consumer spending tumbling. Powerful unions have staged increasingly frequent protests against the government.

The IMF predicts gross domestic product will shrink by 2.8 per cent in 2024.

Menescaldi said some of the government’s measures run counter to the IMF’s advice, including the central bank’s decision to set negative real interest rates, and a preferential exchange rate scheme for exporters.

In its statement, the fund said the government’s “decisive implementation of their stabilisation plan [had] resulted in faster-than-anticipated progress in restoring macroeconomic stability”.

It added: “Progress continues in broadening the political and societal support for these efforts and in tackling vested interests.”

The $800mn disbursement still needs to be approved by the fund’s board.

Millei not delivering enough suffering for the IMF apparently.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
so this is a guy who wants to be a dog while paying for the dog food and then sold as dog meat at the end

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Palladium posted:

so this is a guy who wants to be a dog while paying for the dog food and then sold as dog meat at the end

"it's a doggy dog world milei" - conan 3

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the even funnier thing is that milei worked for the world economic forum

quote:

Licentiate in Economics, Universidad de Belgrano, Argentina; two Master's in Economics, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella and CEDES/IDES. Formerly: Head Economist, Estudio Broda and Máxima AFJP; Senior Economist, HSBC, Argentina; Adviser of the Argentine Government, ICSID. Head Economist, Corporación América. B-20/G-20 Adviser and Member, Group of Economic Policy, ICC/G-20. Lead the division of Economic Studies, Fundación Acordar, a think tank of national scope. For more than 20 years, University Professor of Macroeconomics, Economics of Growth, Microeconomics and Mathematics for Economists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
How much do you have to gently caress up for the IMF to cut you off

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How much do you have to gently caress up for the IMF to cut you off

easily? their deal is getting the state to bleed itself to death in exchange for loans. if you don't sign up for enough abuse you don't get a loan.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

dead gay comedy forums posted:

the even funnier thing is that milei worked for the world economic forum

milei has two masters degrees in economics? lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Spergin Morlock posted:

milei has two masters degrees in economics? lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-k-v7i-QeI

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
Argentina maxed out its credit with the IMF 10x against the assigned quota of $4.3B and borrowing $44B during Trump's presidency, who sent Mauricio Claver Carone to lobby for president Macri and was key for the approval, and against the Fund's own regulations. We haven't actually repaid a single dollar (sorry, a single SDR) of that agreement yet due to the current extended facilities program.

If they give Argentina more money it's a political move, and an appalling one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Remember that video where Xochitl's son was recorded being a drunk rear end in a top hat? Here's part 2:

https://twitter.com/callodehacha/status/1791185536008454448

Where he's a drunk rear end in a top hat that fights the police.

Law and order party indeed, lmao. I mean AMLOL.