Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Happyloony posted:

Anyone know of any movies similar to Beyond the Black Rainbow and Mandy?

You may find Possessor (2020) to be to your taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sri.Theo posted:

I’m looking for a movie that’s focused on social class and class conflict, preferably from the UK or Western Europe and relatively modern. The more challenging the better.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure it quite fits, but you might consider Farming (2018) about a west African boy adopted into a white working class family in 1960s London, who gets brutally dehumanised into joining a white supremacist gang of skinheads. It is based on the writer/director's personal experience and very, very raw.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You should also add The Speed Cubers to your subculture documentary list.

On a slightly different tack, for an immersive and chill natural experience I'd strongly recommend Sweetgrass following a 300km sheep drive across Montana.

Enjoy Computer Chess! It's amazing.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

magic cactus posted:

I posted a little while ago about slow hypnotic films and got a bunch of recommendations. I just want to say thanks and mention a few that stood out to me from what I've seen so far.

Hey, here's a few additional slow, hypnotic immersive recommendations I don't think have been mentioned yet:

First Cow;
Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring
Sweetgrass

Lastdancer posted:

Hi everyone! I am hoping to get some recommendations for movies that deal with any of the following:
  • A redemption journey arc involving substantial self-reflection and change
  • Losing everything and starting over with a new life
  • Coming to terms with learning to love oneself instead of comparing unrealistically to others

Did you find any good scratches for this itch? I find myself in a similar mood.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
How about To Live and Die in LA (the plate printing montage is :kiss:), and Belly?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

feedmyleg posted:

Possession.

This!

A second suggestion would be Possessor (2020).

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

regulargonzalez posted:

How about a slow burn drama or character study with great acting, ideally on a major streaming platform? Something like The Phantom Thread or The Age of Innocence, I'm looking for something more low-key than, say, There Will Be Blood

Have you seen First Cow?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Cross of Iron (1977)!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It’s not quite on the mark but Living in Oblivion might scratch your itch.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Have you seen Zappa (2020)?

There's an earlier one on him called "From His Words" or something, too.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

BabyRyoga posted:

My "bad" movie group is running out of steam. We've seen everything under the sun. I need a legendary, completely unknown, nacho cheese movie to show for two weeks from now.

Post your favorite awful and or cheesy super obscure movies. Break out the hidden gems!

Bad Karma (1991)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvENMlLoLTo

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

happyhippy posted:

Just watched Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer again.
Are there any other good asian films in this style, comedic and over the top martial arts?

Not quite the same thing, but you might enjoy some of Sammo Hung's filmography. Pedicab Driver is the first one that comes to mind for having cartoonish frenzies of over-amped physics and physical gags.

i.e. the always finish swallowing before entering the brawl PSA here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSSp7jdtNJw&t=28s

They're definitely not as comedically refined as Stephen Chow's masterworks, though, so calibrate yourself appropriately.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Gripweed posted:

What are some good cult movies? I mean movies featuring cults, not movies with cult followings. Although movies about cults that also have cult followings are fine.

Night of the Seagulls (1975).

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Documentary: Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters

And maybe the TV series: Reacher

e: vvvv Oh, yes!

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 14, 2022

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The Man from Earth (2007)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Maybe the documentary Kumare (2011)?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

oceanside posted:

I recently watched Hud and although it's quite different to them, it reminded me of The Night of the Hunter, Days of Heaven, The Straight Story, In the Heat of the Night and even Matewan in the sense that I felt I was getting some insight into rural life in the United States. I felt in these movies there was a richness in the detail--whether it be the vernacular language, the settings or the kinds of story they tell. This is in contrast to something like Gone with the Wind where rural life felt like more of a sterile backdrop than a real driving part of the story. If anyone is able to make sense of this incoherent line of thought, I wonder if you can think of any other movies that might be similar?

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for a movie similar to Punch Drunk Love. Awkward courtship between outsiders. Ending in either success or failure, it'd be interesting to see both.

I'm gonna recommend First Cow for both of these prompts.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Tea Bone posted:

I'm looking for more movies like Boiling Point which are thrillers but have relatively low stakes and deal with subject matter that isn't the usual fare.

The original McQueen/Dunaway Thomas Crowne Affair might scratch that itch.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

magic cactus posted:

Anyone got any suggestions for "pseudo-intellectuals talking non-stop" movies ala Whit Stillman and Noah Baumbach? Just re-watched kicking and screaming and that whole "people talking abstractly about nothing" conceit was really entertaining. I've seen most of Linklaters stuff too. Just to clarify, I like these movies, just the content and way the dialogue is written is so unlike real life I find it amusing. Maybe it's a 90s thing?

The Man from Earth from 2007 might scratch that itch.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The film adaptations of Harold Pinter's The Homecoming and The Birthday Party instantly come to mind.

Doubly so if names like Ian Holm, Robert Shaw and William Friedkin spur interest.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Gripweed posted:

Sunshine!

The Lighthouse!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

magic cactus posted:

Watched The Mask Of Zorro on a whim last night and ended up enjoying it. Looking for similar sorts of low-stakes swashbuckling\romance\adventure movies, closest I can think of would be the first two Pirates of The Caribbean films.

Cutthroat Island, The Princess Bride, and Le Bossu immediately spring to mind.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Take Shelter (2011) starring Michael Shannon & Jessica Chastain.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

morestuff posted:

Misery, The Mosquito Coast, Fitzcarraldo / Burden of Dreams come to mind

Oooh, yeah. And then The Fire Within: A Requiem for Katia and Maurice Krafft (2022)!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It's a bit disappointing considering the cast, but The Prophecy (1995).

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Chow Yun Fat suffers significant wounds in A Better Tomorrow, A Better Tomorrow 2, and Full Contact.

Django also takes a very plot-meaningful injury.

Oh, and Rob Roy!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Do you like elephants? If so, Tom-Yung-Goon!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It feels like a weak suggestion but lots of Studio Ghibli reliably hits that spot for me. A strongly reinforced theme that no matter what strange unavoidable calamities may happen, we can adapt, heal, grow and improve and offer support to the good people around us.

If you're not allergic to Abba: Muriel's Wedding.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Onomarchus posted:

Miyazaki Ghibli sure. (Maybe take out The Wind Rises, couple others?) Maybe the best recs you could get. But just Ghibli? DO NOT WATCH GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES if you want what you say.

Excellent point, thank you for the correction! Yeah, I totally meant the growing through adversity of, say, Arietty, rather than the surviving through adversity of Grave of the Fireflies.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Bald Stalin posted:

I was hoping to get some recommendations for epic high production value period films where in the end everyone sort of loses. I love Amadeus, There will be blood, Barry lyndon. Sorry if this is too vague. Thank you!

Bugsy Malone. :haw:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

mrfart posted:

Any good comedy movies?
Preferably streaming on Amazon prime?
I struggle to find any good new comedies that I like. If possible absurd or a bit weird.

Weird, huh? How about the Al Yankovic Story if you're in the mood for some musical biopic parody?

I haven't watched it yet myself, but I've repeatedly heard good things about the recent Beavis & Butthead flick.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Grey Elephants posted:

I watched Aniara recently and haven't stopped thinking about it. Any other movies where the horror/tension comes from the sheer vastness and isolation of time and space?

It totally lacks horror/tension and is a tonal outlier to the other suggestions (but that maybe makes it even more eligible): Silent Running.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
If you're a fan of Devil in a Blue Dress (great flick), then I guess you're already well feasted on LA Confidential and Mulholland Falls?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Pilchenstein posted:

Turns out I hadn't seen Mulholland Falls before, really enjoyed it though.

Oh, cool. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

For a film that's a touch less "crime-y" but dovetails so very nicely with No Sudden Move, check out Blue Collar (1978).

Xiahou Dun posted:

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

A fine recommendation! I need to revisit this myself.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 5, 2023

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
How’s about:

Thelma & Louise
Muriel’s Wedding
9 to 5
A Woman Under the Influence
Foxy Brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

magic cactus posted:

Just watched the 1992 Wicked City film and I need more of this beautifully lit, hyperkinetic style in my life. Would be cool if some suggestions were wuxia films as that's not a genre I'm super familiar with. Bottom line, looking for colorful/colorfully lit gonzo films that will make me :psyduck: but in like, a good way.

I think you may enjoy introducing some Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain (1983) and A Chinese Ghost Story (1987) into your diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGfNSonMJx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0dpajscuPo

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 23, 2024