Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've never seen any of the Roger Moore Bond movies, except for one scene I think from Octopussy where he holds two women underwater in a pool literally just by placing a hand on top of each of their heads. Are any of them better than that or is this kind of nonsense the general vibe of 70s/80s Bond?

For Your Eyes Only was notable for pulling back on the camp that was part and parcel of the Roger Moore years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What are some movies where there's a faintly alluded to c-plot brewing for most of the runtime that suddenly explodes into view at the film's conclusion? The best example of this I can think of is Gangs of New York where the interpersonal rivalries are suddenly engulfed by this massive anti-draft riot that's been just under the surface until it reaches a boiling point. Joker is very similar in this regard. Once upon a time in Hollywood is another recent example. Many Cohen brothers movies are like this, although it's often several c-plots that are being juggled until they come to a head.

I think Strange Days fits this bill.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm in the mood for a movie with scenes of absolute bedlam, like monsters eating/killing/dragging away people en masse

Any of the Piranha movies.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
The Changeling (1980)

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

massive spider posted:

I’m looking for a “self destructive youth” movie. Think Trainspotting or similar.

Less Than Zero

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Franchescanado posted:

What are some movies and documentaries about photography and photographers? Something where the art of photography is part of the text or themes, not necessarily something like You're Next where a character uses a camera for a single iconic scene.

Salvador
A Grande Arte

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Or Sunshine, maybe? Ad Astra?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
The Fly, too, if you haven't already seen it.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Cronenberg is the best. He sort of invented body horror. The Fly is one of the best examples.

Videodrome makes a nice pairing with the later eXistenZ.

And two of his earlier films, Shivers and Rabid are probably right up your alley too, as zombie-adjacent and apocalyptic.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

space marine todd posted:

Thanks! Also, recommendations for grand/"epic" romantic movies (like The Fountain)?

Since I haven't seen The Fountain (or Tree or Life) I don't know if I'm in the same ballpark, but I've always liked Map of the Human Heart.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm looking for good and/or entertaining movies from 1986, that I haven't seen.

https://letterboxd.com/frankboothfan/films/year/1986/by/name/

I've seen 62, not to say you've gotta peruse that page there, but if not I've seen I think the usual big ones and cult classics etc. But I'm sure I'm missing cool stuff. I'm looking to watch at least 24 more, 86 in 86 has a nice ring to it. A couple of them are anime video series but hey close enough. I've at least gotta hit 70.

There are some other years I'm looking to bone up on, but figure I'll start there. Plus I just like 86, it's got Blue Velvet, Transformers: The Movie, what couldn't it do. Also, if you were gonna recommend a cool movie and it turns out it wasn't from 86, feel free to post that anyway. I know this is broad, but I got quotas to fill here.

* Manhunter - William Peterson as Will Graham, Brian Cox as Hannibal Lector, and Michael Mann directs. Superior to the remake, Red Dragon
* Hoosiers - Gene Hackman is a small-town Indiana basketball coach. Harry Dean Stanton Dennis Hopper has a prominent role as the drunkard father of one of his players.
* The Name of the Rose - A whodunit set in a monastery in the middle ages. Based on an Umberto Eco novel. Stars Sean Connery and Christian Slater
* Invaders From Mars - Tobe Hooper remake of the 1950''s alien invasion classic that I find a delightful fever-dream, a la Lifeforce
* Three Amigos - Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, Martin Short. Stupid but funny and spawned more than a few memes in its day
* F/X - A nice little thriller that resulted at least one sequel and a tv series. A special-effects pro is hired to fake the public death of a mafia informant.
* 52 Pick Up - John Frankenheimer directed, starring Roy Schieder, based on an Elmore Leonard novel

There's some well-regarded stuff I never saw, so I can't recommend - plus plenty of schlocky stuff that I also wanted to add, but I restrained myself.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 24, 2020

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Heavy Metal posted:

Much thanks! I'd been meaning to see a few of those too, big Hopper fan and whatnot. Could I request a couple of the finest of these schlocky films? Curiosity piqued!

Duh. Yeah, Hoosiers features Dennis Hopper, not Harry Dean Stanton....

Schlock:
* Black Moon Rising - Weird prototype car, corporate espionage. Tommy Lee Jones, Linda Hamilton star
* Deadly Friend - Wes Craven horror film with a plot that must be seen to be believed. Includes, death by basketball, and a downer of an abuse story
* Link - Horror film with a homicidal chimp, stars Terrence Stamp
* Wanted: Dead or Alive - Former CIA operative turned bounty hunter (Rutger Hauer) is enlisted to hunt down terrorist (Gene Simmonds).
* Dangerously Close - Fascist teenagers look to rid their high school of undesirables. School newspaper reporter investigates

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I need movies about alien abduction, the creepier and low key it is the better.

The Fourth Kind

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070413/

I haven't seen it, but this brilliant edit of clips from this film - married to a cover of Charlie's Spacer Woman by Kitland - has me fascinated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF37KvOlOng

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Three Days of the Condor

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Stairmaster posted:

i need a movie about a cool prison break (not the great escape/face off)

Escape from Alcatraz, of course.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

SliceOfPie posted:

Looking for a movie that has some big twists and leave you confused until the very end. Similar to shutter island.

Identity, Angel Heart, Videodrome, eXiztenZ

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Blue Labrador posted:

I haven't watched a lot of good movies since a couple years back when I had several cinephile roommates, but I'm looking to scratch that itch again. Can anyone recommend any good recent Body Horror flicks (or at least post-1990)? Videodrome is my favorite movie of all time, and I want more of that energy in my life.

I'm assuming you've seen other David Cronenberg highlights like eXistenZ and The Fly.

Did you ever catch Slither?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Blue Labrador posted:

I am pretty familiar with Cronenberg's big ones, but I haven't seen Slither. I'll check that out, along with Tetsuo 2 and Possessor, thanks!

To be clear, Slither is more of a horror comedy like Re-Animator - definitely not Cronenberg in tone. (I just want to make sure that was still your cup of tea.)

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Tea Bone posted:

And on a lighter note, anything similar to the first 3 Pirates of the Caribbean style adventure films, ultimately well-made popcorn flicks?

Have you seen Robert Zemeckis film Romancing the Stone, with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

sean10mm posted:

Better Off Dead?

Good choice. Since I moved to Burbank 10 years ago, I've noticed how much of it was filmed around here, too.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
The first 10 minutes of Three Days of the Condor is fantastic- I don't remember much of the rest to be honest, though.

Maybe No Way Out? Not the nuanced spycraft of Tinker Tailor but a nail-biter from what I remember long ago...

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Looking for extremely 80’s action flicks featuring fun hokey dialogue, Duke Nukemesque protagonists, sick synth riffs, and lots of over-the-top fun violence.

I feel like my friend and I have exhausted everything in this genre. We’ve seen all the Schwarzenegger and Kirk Russell films from this period. We’ve seen Lethal Weapon, Repo Man, Robocop, and all the other big hits too. Any sleeper hits or otherwise forgotten films that would scratch this itch? Foreign films are welcome, too.

Wanted Dead or Alive (Rutger Hauer, Gene Simmons) 1987
Runaway (Tom Selleck, Gene Simmons. Directed by Michael Crichton) 1984
Action Jackson (Carl Weathers, Craig T. Nelson, Vanity, Sharon Stone) 1988
I Come in Peace (Dolph Lungren, Music by Jan Hammer) 1990

Edit:
The Hidden (Kyle MacLachlan) 1987 (This one is good with or without 80's nostalgia.)

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 15, 2021

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Origami Dali posted:

An oddly specific request here. I'm looking for movies that deal with people revisiting places from their childhood as adults, typically to uncover a secret or to confront some trauma. The best example of what I'm thinking of is probably IT, where we see the places in the past and again in the present. Mystery, thriller, or horror movies, preferably.

It's not so much about revisiting the place, but everything else ticks the boxes for Sleepers (1996)

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

regulargonzalez posted:

After Hours
The King of Comedy

Nice choices here.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Ladyhawke maybe? Fantasy at its core, though.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

feedback loop posted:

Looking to watch a few movies with really notable representations of the American west coast in the mid-60s to early-70s, highly stylized or otherwise. Think The Long Goodbye and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, where the setting is front and center, for example. Documentary recommendations welcome as well. I'm especially interested in seeing something set in the Pacific Northwest.

It may not be your thing, but I keep having Dirty Harry pop into my mind as a nice look at 70's era San Francisco. The city plays a big part in the film.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

feedmyleg posted:

Are there any good movies about Native Americans or Inuits that take place pre-European contact? I'm thinking something along the lines of Apocalypto or The Dead Lands but for North America, though not necessarily that genre-y.

There's Rapa Nui, but that takes place on Easter Island so I'm not really answering your question with that one....Also, I've never seen it so I can't vouch for its quality.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

regulargonzalez posted:

I get into the mood for horror about once a year and that time is now. Looking for something similar to Jacob's Ladder, In the Mouth of Madness, The Empty Man, The Tenant, Repulsion. Reality crumbling, protagonist going insane, that's the vibe I'm looking for. When done right, the viewer is put in the same situation as the protagonist where they're struggling to make sense of everything as well. Inland Empire does this too I guess but I didn't like that one. Maybe I need to give it another try.

Thanks!

Videodrome

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

regulargonzalez posted:

Looking for movies or tv shows where an aged CEO-emeritus type is being pushed out due to age or being "out of touch" but outmaneuvers the opposition. Think Anthony Hopkins in Westworld S1 or Brian Cox in Succession

E: or if there's a TVTropes page for this please link it

Robocop.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
There's all the Battlestar Galactica stuff.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

regulargonzalez posted:

Hm. Does Logan's Run have other planets or reference Earth? Been a while since I watched it.

Not that I recall.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

EmptyVessel posted:

Verhoeven's Black Book/Zwartboek is another good one for WWII (Dutch) Resistance.

Also Verhoeven's Soldier of Orange starring Rutger Hauer.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Zogo posted:

These came to mind but I'm not sure if they're what you want exactly:

Tabu: A Story of the South Seas (1931)
The Shanghai Gesture (1941)
To Have and Have Not (1944)
Out of the Past (1947)
Key Largo (1948)

Two Hemmingway adaptions there.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Zogo posted:

I know To Have and Have Not (1944) is one but I didn't know there was another.

Ha, whoops - there wasn't another on this list. My mistake.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

magic cactus posted:

Recently watched a movie called Kill Chain with Nic Cage and while it was a C-tier potboiler at best, there was something decidedly dreamlike or psychedelic about it. The minimal dialogue seemed really cryptic, almost like a Beckett play with guns, and the direction was just weird, with a lot of bizarre camera angle choices. This is probably down to the amateurish nature of the production, but I really liked it anyway.

Are there any "dreamlike" or "hallucinatory" action movies out there? Other than Only God Forgives and Valhalla Rising I can't think of too many.

Edit: responded to wrong post

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Look for anything from Cannon Films. If it is an action movie, you've scored.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 19, 2022

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Magnetic North posted:

Alright, this might be a weird request. I can't play the video game Payday 2 anymore because of motion sickness. Lately, I've been especially nostalgic for the ol' 'Cop-Clicker' so, I watched Heat for the first time on Pluto.tv to see if I would enjoy it. I did, though it was a little more 'human' than I expected. For background, Inception is probably my favorite movie. That movie is a lot of things but I would not describe it as particularly 'human' and that suits me just fine.

I wanted to see more heist movies, preferably with a lean towards action. Bonus points for a literal bank robbery, ludicrous waves of cops, being clever/cerebral and/or having good visceral action sequences.

I looked at the Wikipedia page for Heist Movies, and could just as easily start there, but the problem is: I am fairly squeamish and I don't want to see movies with lurid depictions of graphic fleshy gore or people squirming around in agony. For instance, (spoilers for 1995's Heat) most of the blood in Heat was fine, like where it's blood on shirts when dudes get shot, but seeing a character with visible slit wrists bothered me. Resources like MPAA ratings or so-called 'parents guides' don't always cover enough, which is why I'm asking here.

I have access to Netflix and Disney+, but feel free to suggest others.

It's ostensibly an espionage movie, but Ronin hits all of these beats (though no bank heist).

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Somewhere in Time (1980) Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, Christopher Plummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Ibexaz posted:

I watched The Item and it was the worst rear end piece of rear end movie I've ever seen and I need other movies that are clearly trying to ape Tarantino's style of cool characters with witty dialogue, bonus points if the writer/director in the leading role

2 Days in the Valley