Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

DoctorGonzo posted:

movies like the breakfast club?

Mary Jane's Not a Virgin Anymore (1998)
Metropolitan (1990)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High if you've somehow never seen it.
Everything else by John Hughes obviously
The Big Chill (pretty much tonally and thematically the same as Breakfast Club except it's about aging Boomers in the mid-80's instead of Gen X teens in the mid-80's)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

What are the best places to start with Hou Hsiao-Hsien?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

bewilderment posted:

I want some movies that are kind of, uh, 'high energy' where you don't really know what exactly is going to happen next, you're just enjoying the ride.

I guess the best examples I can think of are Detention (2012) and Sorry To Bother You. The Crank movies count but I don't want to limit it to just action movies. I've seen Holy Motors which technically falls under this banner but I don't think I want something quite that artsy.

Also I'd like to see some cool movies that use colour as vibrantly as stuff by Tarsem Singh and Zhang Yimou. Or SpiderVerse.

House (1977)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Kanine posted:

hey does anyone have particularly good recommendations for ww2 underground resistance films?

They're more interesting as historical documents than relaxation movies but Hitchcock made two French-language propaganda films during the war to help gather support for the French Resistance. Aventure malgache and Bon Voyage, both from 1944.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've got serious Epstein brain. I've seen JFK and Eyes Wide Shut recently, what's next?

You Were Never Really Here

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Hell's Angels is excellent, though it's been years since I've seen it and my memory is hazy beyond really liking it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Specific request but what are some good films set in Berlin with musical or political themes. Thinking of stuff like Wings of Desire, Decoder, Christiane F., and Knife in the Head. Preferably from the 70s-80s but outside that era works too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Cabaret is actually a good rec because I've never seen it.

edit: Which Mephisto is that?

Also, should probably specify, I don't mind some Nazi-era stuff and obviously that poo poo resonates throughout everything in Germany leading up to today, but I'm more interested in post-war. I'm most interested in that unrest that rose up around the time of the RAF/Baader-Meinhof or the underground arts world of that time.

Double edit: It occurs to me the phrase I'm looking for here is the New German Cinema. :p Though Mephisto and The Damned both look very good.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 7, 2020

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

That's 100% what I was looking for. Thanks a ton!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

In general I am interested in doing a deeper dive on German cinema and The Blue Angel is a long overdue blind spot.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Teknolust
Electronic Lover (1966)
Virtual Sexuality
Life 2.0
Demonlover
.com for Murder
Thomas in Love

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Have you gotten into Hong Kong era John Woo? Bullet in the Head, Hard Boiled, The Killer.

You may also like:

Dead End Drive-In
Drug War
Police Story I & II
Revenge (2017, directed by Coralie Fargeat)
Smokey and the Bandit
Streets of Fire
Vigilante (1983)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Russian Ark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Peppy, preppy 80s? Just that height of joyful bubblegum consumerism and big hair and jazzercize and malls and pink/teal puffy idealism?

Perfect, starring John Travolta and Jamie Lee Curtis. It's got all the jazzercise you could want in a lifetime.