Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Data Graham posted:

YOUR SON IS A MORON

It must be one of those self-repeating, immortal frankenants. >_>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Royal crackers tells amazing stories, but because I don't like the characters and don't care what happens to them it ultimately ends up feeling empty and unfulfilling. Never before has a show made me think "wow, I would really be enjoying this storyline if it was about someone else" so frequently.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I'm gonna follow this ant home...kill his whole family

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The marathon is giving me an appreciation for all the celebrities CN shanghaied into the interviews - Steven Wright, Willie Nelson, Charlton Heston.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Why do sharks explode? This is because sometimes their brains and sexual organs are made out of M80s. Sometimes, a shark will explode to attract a mate, and sometimes, they'll explode just to attract giant killer bees

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ep 2 of the Digital Circus is out.

The bit where the truck drives into a rock, glitches out and falls out of the level got a good chuckle out of me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the scene/dialogue pacing in digital circus is so weird. it sounds like the actors' pre-warmup before they get to the actual script

e: looks like they just couldn't resist getting to the inevitable Greedy "homage" as soon as possible

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 4, 2024

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Oxxidation posted:

the scene/dialogue pacing in digital circus is so weird. it sounds like the actors' pre-warmup before they get to the actual script

Yeah, this nails what I was trying to put my finger on. I like bits and pieces of Digital Circus so far but the pacing is just dragging the whole thing down.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

https://archive.org/details/ren-stimpy-reboot

i forgot this project was even a thing. not even really sure if it still is or not, but it seems alright. but being better than adult party cartoon is probably the easiest bar to clear

edit: this is a leak that got deleted off youtube recently

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Nikumatic posted:

Yeah, this nails what I was trying to put my finger on. I like bits and pieces of Digital Circus so far but the pacing is just dragging the whole thing down.
That's its biggest problem, really. The other issue is that some of the layouts aren't the best, lots of empty space and sometimes it isn't easy to parse in the quick cuts for a few of them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I’m admittedly waiting to see if it winds up leaning too heavily on “meta commentary” that it detracts from the modern I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream story it’s trying to tell.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
My other criticism is that it doesn't like to build things up slowly, but rather just plays its cards prettymuch right away and unsubtly before proceeding onto the rest of the episode(s) where it tries to then go mindfucky again but with diminishing returns because it already gave us the twist at the start.
The 2nd episode at least did a new spin on what it wanted to tackle in the 2nd half rather than going straight at it, and even the timing of shots gets a bit tighter in a good way closer to the end of the episode.

It's improving, I think. It's not exactly where I'd like it to be, but I'm not taken aback or annoyed by its success the same way I am for other projects with far, far worse writing or visual issues.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

e: looks like they just couldn't resist getting to the inevitable Greedy "homage" as soon as possible

Are you talking about Ragatha and Jax here? Because I think those specifically are both intentional choices. The characters are supposed to both sound like they're acting. You can hear Ragatha's voice actor giving a more natural sounding performance in Pomni's nightmare at the beginning, and occasionally she'll "break character" like when she's talking with Kinger and convey genuine emotion, but most of the time she sounds like the host of a kids show (think Steve from blues clues) because playing that role helps her stay sane. It's the same with Jax, but the role he plays to stay sane is "rear end in a top hat" and instead of sounding like a kids show host he sounds like Raggedy Andy from "Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure", which was a big inspiration for The Amazing Digital Circus and can be watched in its entirety here:
https://youtu.be/AloMFCbn4IQ?si=545tmknuiTE6pyV8

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
no, it's everybody. dialogues natter on for too long, they're full of too much stammering and um-ah interjections, they step on their punchlines or don't interject them at the right time. like i said, it sounds more like pre-recording exercises or something where the actors are warming up their in-character voices, there's little of the snappiness you'd associate with a traditional script

helluva and hazbin also have this problem but not to the same extent

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Needs more hahafunnytoofman imo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pomni's shell-shocked routine is going to have to either a) go into abeyance as she finds her footing more and starts taking charge or b) goes completely bugfuck ballistic and everything explodes

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The Episode felt, half baked?

There was a great concept there, and I can see what they were aiming for. It felt like a script written and considered "good enough" without all the extra shine it needed.

Maybe it was rushed thanks to the success of the show? It could have used more script work.

It felt like something was missing.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 4, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Given the length and how relatively recent the first episode was released I’m guessing they either had this partially ready to roll when the first came out or it was insanely rushed out. There was one bit I noticed as there initially leaving with the truck where they appear to make a turn and plow through some of the crowd. Looked like it needed another pass or something.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I noticed that!

Was waiting for it to be a bit joke about hitting and running over some of the NPC's first. It wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also gonna reiterate my feelings about the Groovenians-tier animation/design. We get off talking about Hazbin/Helluva and straight into this which is just ... I don't know, so plasticky and technicolor as to feel like a 90s throwback. The kind of stuff Toy Story was such a revelation as to lift us out of, in 1995

Yeah the kernel of the good idea (the "NPCs are actually sentient and that's horrific thing) is there but there's just something about the pacing and the comic timing that makes it not hit at all. We get one "twist" (Gummigoo and his gang are not evil bandits, they're trying to save his dying mum) which we're barely able to absorb because it comes at literally the exact moment we're first introduced to his character so there's no time to establish any preconceived notions to be "twisted" away from; and then moments later we get the second "twist" (NPC world) which is presented in a very sterile and opaque kind of way (not helped by the not-super-expressive character design) so we're not sure what it is we're supposed to be so dumbstruck by until he spells it out for us. It all feels like they're trying to jam the idea down the toilet with a plunger

E: ^^ as to the above I lol'd at the crowd being made up of literal Poser models which is a great joke but lol^2 if they meant to replace them with actual characters but ran out of time

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 4, 2024