Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I was more offended by referring to a first cousin once removed as an aunt.

This is monarchist-coded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

e: Since I see people have posted about it. If we're going to talk about colonialism, and the colonial imagination, literally changing the rules of a romance language to fit English rules, and English conceptions of gender, that's a colonialism.

I'm still kind of in shock that the Chinese have different terms depending on if it is the mother's or father's family tree. Lunatics.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

genericnick posted:

I'm still kind of in shock that the Chinese have different terms depending on if it is the mother's or father's family tree. Lunatics.

lol yes, that's why we just use uncle/aunt.

the terms are also different if it's an older or younger sibling.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

e: Since I see people have posted about it. If we're going to talk about colonialism, and the colonial imagination, literally changing the rules of a romance language to fit English rules, and English conceptions of gender, that's a colonialism.

ugh

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
first retard, once removed

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

some people call friends of the family aunts and uncles even tho they're not actually related at all, because who cares

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
please don't colonize language itt

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

crepeface posted:

the reading series on the latest chapo about the guy who basically doxxed the sex worker was brutal. i think i groaned out loud like eight times

Absolutely brutal. "I could tell she was shocked at how handsome I was" "I was surprised she didn't compliment my slender physique" "She wanted to marry me"

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

some people call friends of the family aunts and uncles even tho they're not actually related at all, because who cares

In the Far East, first cousins once removed - your parent's cousins, or "oya no itoko" - have been integral to the succession of the Chrysanthemum Throne. Both patrilineal ("chichikata no itoko" for father’s side) and matrilineal ("hahakata no itoko" for mother’s side) lines are accounted for. This ensures the continuity of the imperial line, as these relatives could step in as heirs if the line falters, preserving the Land of the Rising Sun for another thousand years.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 13:47 on Apr 25, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Wizard Master posted:

Unfortunately the cultural moment that really made Chapo and gave them their time in the sun (that being the 2016 election and Bernie-mania) has passed and sadly the show has felt quite anachronistic for quite a long time. Hearing Will meekly interview the "ChicanX" Columbia student and not even offer the slightest pushback was the real nail in the coffin, so to speak. It's a real shame because I've always loved the idea of a podcast that combines the political and cultural insight of Matt and the humour of Felix with the irreverent humour of FYAD's 2008-2014 golden period (when posters like brendlewhat, DocEvil and Rory were still around) - unfortunately Chapo never really delivered on it's potential in this regard.

People have been saying "Hearing Will meekly interview ______ and not offer even the slightest pushback means this show is bad" since the show started you weirdo. Will never pushes back against the people he interviews. It's one of the reasons interviews have always sucked.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

In the Far East, first cousins once removed - your parent's cousins, or "oya no itoko" - have been integral to the succession of the Chrysanthemum Throne. Both patrilineal ("chichikata no itoko" for father’s side) and matrilineal ("hahakata no itoko" for mother’s side) lines are accounted for. This ensures the continuity of the imperial line, as these relatives could step in as heirs if the line falters, preserving the Land of the Rising Sun for another thousand years.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Gripweed posted:

People have been saying "Hearing Will meekly interview ______ and not offer even the slightest pushback means this show is bad" since the show started you weirdo. Will never pushes back against the people he interviews. It's one of the reasons interviews have always sucked.

It's compounded by Felix and Matt being somehow even worse at interviewing.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

What kind of pushback is he supposed to give. should he tell her to start a patreon and stop using terms that very annoying people online get upset at

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

mistermojo posted:

What kind of pushback is he supposed to give. should he tell her to start a patreon and stop using terms that very annoying people online get upset at

yes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

GET A JOB

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

mistermojo posted:

stop using annoying terms that people get upset at

Yes. That's good advice that goes a long way to being taken seriously. Especially if you're trying to get into journals or something, making the same argument, with the same reasoning, but without the jargon is unironically a huge benefit. Multiply that a hundredfold when trying to interact with the public.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Listening to Chapo Trap House because I want to hear a 38 year old bearded white man yell at a blue-haired college student for having pronouns, and getting really mad when that doesn’t happen.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Wizard Master posted:

Unfortunately the cultural moment that really made Chapo and gave them their time in the sun (that being the 2016 election and Bernie-mania) has passed and sadly the show has felt quite anachronistic for quite a long time. Hearing Will meekly interview the "ChicanX" Columbia student and not even offer the slightest pushback was the real nail in the coffin, so to speak. It's a real shame because I've always loved the idea of a podcast that combines the political and cultural insight of Matt and the humour of Felix with the irreverent humour of FYAD's 2008-2014 golden period (when posters like brendlewhat, DocEvil and Rory were still around) - unfortunately Chapo never really delivered on it's potential in this regard.

stick to red scare i guess

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Yes. That's good advice that goes a long way to being taken seriously. Especially if you're trying to get into journals or something, making the same argument, with the same reasoning, but without the jargon is unironically a huge benefit. Multiply that a hundredfold when trying to interact with the public.

if you want to get into journals you should absolutely be using academic terms because after all thats where they come from

and the idea that a college student protesting the genocide would get taken seriously by the public when the entire government and media are against them however they phrase things is of course nonsense. you couldnt use the word genocide for example

its like BLM which was such a divisive slogan until people started saying defund the police and then we had police chiefs kneeling and tearfully saying black lives matter

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/ChaseMit/status/1783415227868135445?t=ONbIK1eWk7bI6A-ldsU1KA&s=19

weak, slow moving, lethargic, gutless, and lazy (derogatory)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

incredible title for the newest trueanon ep

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Listening to Chapo Trap House because I want to hear a 38 year old bearded white man yell at a blue-haired college student for having pronouns, and getting really mad when that doesn’t happen.

Yeah it really wasn’t the point of the interview and even a good interviewer, which will is not, would probably be better suited letting it slide since it didn’t matter at all

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

considering what a loving dumbass I and everyone I knew was at that age the student protestor Will interviewed did very well

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

should've found a 2004 fuckboi in a green save darfur shirt

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Latine

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Are there any good examples of interviews coming out of protests like this?

My memories of Occupy Wall Street is that interviewers ended up talking to either gifted-class type A manifesto reciters or people who just talked a lot about "vibes."

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

i say swears online posted:

should've found a 2004 fuckboi in a green save darfur shirt

give him some white boy dreads and he can clear the credibility gap between the students and the public

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

genericnick posted:

it's the same in Turkish. probably just sicko euros who don't.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

IDK their aspirations beyond Columbia divesting from Israel, but the interviewee is a literal college student.

the interview was nostalgic because when I was a college student I also was really into being very extra about my application of jargon and trying to be precise in language with that jargon because I was reading a bunch of big books where people did that.

considering that they hang with Matt and Amber and Felix used to read LF there's probably a familiarity with this impulse in Will

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

same in urdu

mawarannahr posted:

it's the same in Turkish. probably just sicko euros who don't.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
yeah give that chapo interviewee another 5 years and she'll be posting "lol. lmao." in the biosphere collapse thread with the rest of us. the fact that she's using esoteric tryhard phrases like "settler colonialism" shows she has a ways to go to evolve her thinking to that advanced level.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

A Bag of Milk posted:

yeah give that chapo interviewee another 5 years and she'll be posting "lol. lmao." in the biosphere collapse thread with the rest of us. the fact that she's using esoteric tryhard phrases like "settler colonialism" shows she has a ways to go to evolve her thinking to that advanced level.

It worked for me ngl

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

I mean, assuming she manages to not get expelled from Columbia she'll probably be working for McKinsey or something

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, assuming she manages to not get expelled from Columbia she'll probably be working for McKinsey or something

:rolleyes:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:shucks:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

When Columbia University graduates its people, they’re not graduating their best. They’re graduating people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing strivers. They’re bringing climbers. They’re McKinsey recruits. And some, I assume, are good people

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my buddy went to columbia law and instead of working at a white shoe firm like they're expected he got a job at a DAs office. then he took every case to trial based on this philosophical objection to circumventing to legal process, everyone got their day in court, as was Just, to him - instead of ignoring loser cases and pleaing out others. anyways this pissed the DAs office really bad so now he works pro bono stuff for victims of sex trafficking while his wife makes money as some kind entertainment executive. really weird guy. was big into that extremely toxic law school forum that went viral a while ago. big wheel over there. he had a full ride scholarship to that law school, super high lsat, grades, etc. honestly one of the weirdest people ive ever met. grew up as one of the curious Dirt Poor Whites of the northeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I know I have absolutely shattered my brain with cumtown because this image made me laugh for like 5 minutes.