Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

This is the edge of our property, which had a bunch of ugly bushes. With no gym access lately, I've been getting my exercise ripping them out. I've just about finished (one remains, out of frame). My tentative plan is to plant some Thuja Green Giant privacy trees. Ideally I'd keep them somewhere between 6 and 10 feet. They'll serve three purposes: noise reduction from the street, protecting the house from a cold northern wind, and aesthetics. Here's what I'm considering: https://www.homedepot.com/p/9-25-in-Pot-Emerald-Green-Arborvitae-Thuja-Live-Evergreen-Shrub-Tree-Green-Foliage-55203FL/205544441 or https://www.brighterblooms.com/products/thuja-green-giant basically. I'm in Buffalo, which seems to be an adequate growing zone. There's a lot of deer here, and apparently they're quite deer resistant to boot. Here's what I'm unsure of:

1. Is this the best tree for the job?
2. The bushes I dug out were an assorted lot. I got the majority of each, but I certainly didn't dig out every root, some of which seem to run several feet deep. Can I plant those trees in this same area without concern how any leftover roots may impact the new trees?
3. The planting instructions seem fairly simple. Dig a wide hole, drop the tree in the hole, fill with soil, top with mulch, and water on a schedule. There's no mention of any sort of framing or support structure being needed. They're supposed to be planted 5' on center, which is quite similar to the existing holes from the bushes, so I was going to make good use of the holes I've already dug (the mini ponds pictured above). Is that really all there is to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What is the best way to accomplish this effect? Is it:

1. Dig every hole individually, applying gravel/sand independently for each stone
Or
2. Dig up the whole plot at once, cover the whole area in gravel/sand, place the pavers, and then fill in the cracks with topsoil and plant grass?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Thanks for the answers. That's what I was expecting the answer to be. I planted several in my backyard by doing them individually, which worked out well enough because I was casting the pavers myself in molds in the garage, so being able to do it piecemeal was ideal. Those were with 6" gaps though. Now I'm looking at fleshing out the firepit, and there's no need to lay one stone at a time; I'd like to do it all at once. I like the effect and admittedly I'm unsure about whether I want to run the strips like that, but I was curious what the answer would be.

The firepit will be part of a large lawn, so no edging needed really, I'd just drive over it with the lawn mower whenever I did the rest of the lawn. That's what I did with the ones I installed last summer and it worked out fine. Artificial grass is absolutely tempting though.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I dug out a bush today. It's tough to tell from this photo, but that hole is about two feet deep in the center.

http://imgur.com/a/7WuVEGy

I cut it out, so there's a lot of bare root ends that I suspect will start to sprout again eventually. I want to just turn this area into grass. Here's my tentative plan:

1. Pour [insert chemical here] into the hole
2. Cover with Topsoil
3. Plant grass seed

Do you think this would work, and what could I put in there that would stop the roots and anything else from growing? I've long heard the expression regarding salting the earth, so can I literally just pour a bunch of iodized kitchen salt in the hole and put dirt on top?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Works for me!

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I want to put a paver patio in my yard. It will require digging about a foot deep. I've outlined where I want it in the yard in the diagram below.

My question is regarding those two trees. The one on the left is a type of cherry tree, and the other is birch. If I dig a hole about a foot deep in the outlined area, am I likely to hit any major roots from those? I don't want to seriously damage the trees, and I also don't want to get halfway into excavating and find some major root that I can't safely remove.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

That's the general rule then? Half a canopy away from the furthest edge of the canopy?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Cool beans, thanks a lot

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

How healthy do you suppose this Cherry tree is?

I don't know what type of cherry it is. It still produces fruit. They tend to get eaten by birds before they're ever mature enough for us to eat. There's a dead branch or two in there, but as you can see, still has plenty of leaves. The trunk isn't pretty though. It's got a good lean going, and the trunk looks pretty rough at the bottom, with what appears to be a lot of dead wood.

The reason I'm asking, aside from general curiosity, is that this flanks the space that we intend to install the paver patio a I mentioned a few posts out. Motoronic mentioned using the "canopy plus 50%" rule, and when I actually went out and measured, there's no way I can give the both trees that much berth. If this tree is basically dead and likely to stop fruiting/fall down in a few years, then I'll push my excavation into its space as I need, and replace it if it goes down. If this is what healthy cherry trees end up looking like, and it's got a few decades (or more) left, then I'll go out of my way not to disturb it.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 22, 2021

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ok! I will proceed as planned. (And will be planting more trees regardless of what happens with this particular cherry tree.)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is it worth the effort it would take to relocate these trees if they're in my way, or should I just cut them down and plant more elsewhere?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I know they're quite pricey when they're this size, which is why I thought to ask. I've also got no clue what species they are.

I'll give a local nursery a ring and see what they say.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm in the process of planting Thuja Green Giant - Arborvitae (https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/products/thuja-green-giant?variant=13940743471156). I'm a little concerned about how they look.

20 new trees arrived about a week ago, and I've planted them all over the last few days. Here's how they looked in the container yesterday, right before I put them in the ground:

This is a tree that had been planted 24 to 48 hours prior. Notice the yellowing on the tips:

For comparison, here's one I planted one year ago. (Sorry, it was difficult to get a good picture that let you really see the coloring. And yes, I know I need to weed) This one has battled with deer, so it's a little rougher.

My concern here is between the first and second picture. Just a day in the ground and it seems like the tree is losing color. Is that normal for a just-replanted tree, or is there something else here?

This is how I planted them:
-Dig a hole 2x the width and the same depth as the root ball
-Put a little brand new dirt in
-Put the tree in
-Cover the roots with fresh soil, press down with hands
-Water generously on the day of planting, and each day after (if it didn't rain)
-I'll be putting mulch around the base in the next few days, now that they're all in the ground

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 26, 2022

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I have that fiskar's weed puller. It was pricey, like $50 or $60, but it's reasonably effective. I don't see anything being better that isn't just a shovel.

A week or two ago I posted about my yellowing trees. There's still several that look rough, but the rest are bright green, so I have no idea why ~7 out of 19, in the middle of the row, are yellow while the rest are green, but I'll give it some time to see what happens.

In the meantime, I'm going to put a semi-permanent fence around them to keep the deer out. Here's my row of trees, and stakes in the ground where the fence will run.

I want to plant creeping thyme down the row, in-between the red lines. I wont' be able to mow in there, so eliminating the grass is necessary, but I also don't want to try and maintain all of that space with mulch every year.

If I want to plant the thyme, what ground prep is necessary? I don't suppose I can just sprinkle the seeds across the grass as-is and water, and they'll overtake the grass?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

Burn it down (chemically - I'd suggest glyphosate - gonna be tough with those little trees there so I'd cover them while applying), till/scratch it up, fertilize, seed, compact for maximum soil contact (i.e. a roller), cover with your favorite water retention thing (recycled newspaper pellets, straw, whatever).

Take soil samples first and know what you need to add as a starting fertilizer.

ugh your posts are always simultaneously the best and worst

Is it too late in the season to do that if the seeds wouldn't be in the ground until sometime in July? Would I need to wait until the fall planting season?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ok so my order of operations here is:

1. In mid-august(?), spray grass thoroughly with roundup
2. Wait ~2 weeks for the grass to all turn brown
3. Till the soil
4. Wait ~2 weeks for germination to occur
5. Spray again
6. Wait ~ 2 weeks
7. Fertilize, seed, roll, cover

Sound correct? If I start mid-August and wait exactly two weeks each time, that puts the seeds in the ground at the end of September. (Zone 6a here)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

We get some nasty wind around here, and it managed to blow down a metal screen fence enough that the deer could eat my sapling trees. This is a Thuja Green Giant (Arborvitae) that they got to. I've got ~20 of them that look like this. Are these effectively dead, or will they grow back?

Sapling as it arrived, basically:

Mine:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ok, going to hold out hope those trees hang on then. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I need to plant a handful of young trees (zone 6) in a couple weeks. Are any of these growth products you get advertised useful/necessary? I'm wondering if they actually help or if they're snake oil. https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/products/root-rocket-fertilizer?variant=13940847247412