Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
We rent, and have a small bermudagrass lawn that is becoming mostly weeds. Zone 8a. There are wild birds who hang out on the lawn, and we try to keep the lawn bird/bee friendly as much as we can while renting.

When we pull all the weeds, the yard will pretty much be dirt. Does bermudagrass seed have a coating/fertilizer that would hurt birds if they ate it? Any ways to put down seed in a bird-friendly yard that won't just be me feeding the birds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

You need soil tests first. Correcting your soil ph and nutrients is going to be more important than trying to overseed, and will lead to successful seeding. When you put down seed you should add straw/straw matting to keep the birds from eating it and also to retain moisture while it germinates and is very small and weak. If you have a serious weed problem that would be attended to before overseeding. If you have lots of broadleaf weeds something like Surge should take care of them. It can be largely a one time application if you do it right and then establish thick healthy grass that displaces the weeds.

Edit: contact your county ag extension for inexpensive soil tests

Very practical advice - thank you!

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Hubis posted:

How much area? You might have more success/faster recovery with plugs instead of seed. Feed heavily and mow low starting next spring/summer to encourage rhizome spreading, and the bermuda plugs should quickly expand to fill in the gaps.

E: also, I second getting a soil test. It can't hurt. Another thing to be aware of is bermuda is really light hungry, so if you've got shade you are going to have trouble keeping it thick there.

It’s pretty small - 20’x25’ maybe. I didn’t even know plugs were an option. I’ll look into that. Thanks!

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
What is this and how/when do I prune it?

It’s in front of a house in zone 5b.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

I don't remember what those are called but you can absolutely brutalize them with hedge trimmers and saws. Providing you cut branches back and leave 1/2" in front of each node and leave enough they will bounce back to their new size and shape in a year. Two at most.

They largely seem unkillable. And often way too big and out of control - because they need to be brutalized regularly.

Great - we will give it a major haircut. It’s invading the neighbor’s well-manicured drive and I feel bad.

Thanks everyone!

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Does clover need water in winter? Zone 5b. Planted some seed last spring and it really took off. I’d like to keep it happy. Cursory web search just shows how to kill it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

You can only find information on how to kill it because it's basically unkillable outside of actively trying, especially in an area where its native like yours., So no, you don't need to do anything. This is the beauty of landscaping with native to your area plants.

Wonderful! Thanks for the info.