Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Potato Salad posted:

Welp, I'm glad the guy who has been taking care of the pond for a few years is moving out, but now I gotta learn good pond care in his stead.

Obviously, first things first I need to cut bait on the equipment that's not working anymore and learn how to maintain the currently working equipment. There's also a half aborted little trench to the left of this that's intended to divert surface runoff away from the pond.

I'm initially thinking that I'll complete that trench -- 4 ish inches deep -- and just line it with some of the ample rocks that are all over around here. That, or get some tall plastic edging (edging would probably erode out though).

Time to attack YouTube's algorithm and see if any useful information can be squeezed out of it regarding pond care. Naturally, I'd prefer not to have this drat thing but removing it isn't an option; the koi are quite stunningly large and the family is attached.

I'd throw some lilies and other floating plants in that bad boy. Floating plants work to keep the algae down by soaking up excess nutrients and preventing sun from reaching the algae. Plants also give the koi places to hide from predators. Some irises would also look lovely.

The good news is that pond equipment is pretty darn easy to maintain, and the less you do the better. The only caveat is to make sure the inlet to the filter stays free of clogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
Pruned my Bradford pear all the way to the ground yesterday and had an arborist take out the large white mulberry and forsythia in my yard for good measure. I'll be putting a bur oak and a hackberry in my front yard but I am undecided about what to put in the backyard. The shade from a large silver maple and overhead powerlines really limit what I can plant.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

ROJO posted:

Speaking of fertilizing - we finally have a nicely done yard with lots of native drought tolerant plantings (SF Bay Area, Sunset zone 14). What should I be doing about general purpose fertilizing? I know how to handle the small lawn and the trees, but not sure for more general purpose bed plantings (mostly grasses, shrubs, and succulents). Miracle grow and a watering can?

Native plantings don't generally need fertilizing because they're the best suited to grow in your local soil and climate, but agree with the commenters saying to call your county extension. Your local university may offer soil testing, or you can send it in the the University of Minnesota for testing: https://soiltest.cfans.umn.edu/

Spikes32 posted:

Ca county ag won't do soil tests :argh:. But they do have a lot of literature

CA as in California or Canada? See my link above for soil testing through the U of M if you're in the states.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

I love it when projects come together.

Love that lighting. It looks so dreamy. Nice work!