Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Good pesticides for creeping charlie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What kind of grass do you have? It's not that hard to kill, but for me with St. Augustine (pretty sensitive to herbicides) I had a tough time for a while. 2, 4 D killed it and didn't quite kill the St. Augustine, but definitely knocked it back. The thing that finally worked was weed and feed fertilizer in the spring with atrazine. I think you can get it as a liquid to spray too?

Standard northern US, poorly maintained bluegrass / rye.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Normally plants don’t have eyes, so it’s hard for me to trust them.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Trying to cut a trail through an overgrown area; went through with a brush hog but now have a lot of foot-high 1/2" - 1 1/2" diameter woody spikes and stumps. I want to maintain as much grassy cover and topology as possible, so I don't want to scrape or plow. I think trail builders would tell me to use a mattock or a weed wrench (https://www.ecolandscaping.org/07/resources/product-reviews/product-review-weed-wrench/), but I'd really like to have something I could hook up to a tractor. Any thoughts on if I have a lot of these to deal with?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Thread favorite crossbow is 40% kerosene pre-diluted.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Motronic posted:

Wait what?

2,4-D absolutely mixes with water. And does even better with some dish soap added. So does tryclopir, the other ingredient in crossbow.

It's absolutely used with diesel for basil bark treatments, but not because that's the only thing it mixes with. That's a whole other class of stuff for very specific things. Including thing as dumb as cinnamon extract to spray on fences to keep horses from chewing on them.

idk man, I’m just going off of the msds.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The previous owner of my house let a grove of ailanthus get out of hand behind my workshop, to the point it was caving in the walls. I've taken out the ones that were literally growing into the roof but now I have to contend with this:

Power company says they won't touch it until it actually knocks down some lines, every arborist I've spoken to has noped out of the situation (can't blame em), but so long as it's up there it and the root system pushing into the shop are still growing. Any ideas how to take it down without setting my shop on fire/knocking out power for the entire neighborhood?

I’m really surprised the utility wouldn’t remove it. Around here, the local utility will remove anything on three feet either side of local transmission line, and they’ll trim anything within 6’. No matter where you are in the country there’s some weather (ice, hurricane, drought) that’ll drop trees on lines.

Here, they cut back on trimming because homeowners complained, then got sued because they weren’t maintaining the lines, so they’re more proactive now. If you’ve got a lawyer see if they can nastygram them. They presumably have an easement for this purpose anyway. Probably cheaper than an arborist.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm seeing what my options are but the utility companies out here really don't give a poo poo. Like, further down that line the insulation is visibly crumbling where it meets the house, which their service guys always comment on whenever we manage to get one, but no traction on getting the company to send someone to actually, y'know, replace it.

Good to know there's someone out there who'll likely handle it, I figured I was just on my own after talking to the local tree guys everyone uses.

Here, line from pole to house is my problem, pole to pole is theirs. YMMV, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Yooper posted:

I'd love a shitload of sunflowers, but I think I'll see more nuisance neighbors in the winter than summer.

:negative: I wish I could...

Make friends with the township board and get a targeted nuisance abnb ordinance passed. Every vehicle at an abnb must have indoor storage, you know, for safety.