Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

You scalped it. Not much you can do about it now. It'll come back in the spring, just don't stress it out more. Mow your other lawn at the highest setting and hope for the best. To prevent it in the future, don't stop mowing for 4 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Qubee posted:

Any chance of me getting fertilizer to hopefully rectify the colour situation over Winter? I'll feel very awkward having a scalped front lawn when everyone else has such nicely maintained ones.

No, don't do it. Does it get cold enough there for your lawn to go dormant over winter? I would just wait until spring to fertilize, since it might do gently caress all if your lawn isn't even growing through winter, and worse yet it might gently caress up your already damaged lawn. It's really not that the grass itself is not green, it's that it's been so long since you cut it last that the lower part of the plant has become part of the root structure. You just gotta wait for it to come back, and then mow consistently at the height you want so it doesn't happen again. Fertilizing might make this happen faster, but I don't really want to recommend something that has a good chance of being useless or counterproductive. Wait till spring, and then topdress to help it recover. Once you see it's growing again, do your regular fertilizer routine.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

When the weather gets better you could dig a drain and just fill it with stone, probably wouldn't look out of place. I'm assuming it's puddling there because of compaction, otherwise it would just do what water is supposed to and go down hill, unless the picture is deceiving and the rock creek actually has some incline to it.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Post pictures of your bad lawn so we can get a better idea of how bad it is OP

Edit: So we can help you fix it

Bi-la kaifa fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 14, 2020

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

It's not that bad at all. I'd whack it all down to the ground a figure out what exactly I'm working with underneath, and then nuke what you want to be uniform lawn. Topdress and reseed it after. You could have some nice raised beds in there too or deck it out with a bunch of pots and a water feature. It's a nice space.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Is there such thing as free or inexpensive landscape design software, or at least any that you'd recommend? I'm tired of my lovely sketches in my gardening journal.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I thought it was going to be about hydrojecting. I was ready to laugh at my old supers' expensive mistakes. Oh well. Is magnetizing your irrigation water still a thing? Tens of thousands were spent on a very large magnetic tube to fit over a water main.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Have you come across the "how to DOMINATE your neighbour by making SICK LINES with your push mower" yet? I love turf care but bored suburban dads kinda take it to a new level.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

My 1990s craftsman just ate another belt and now I want one of those stand behind Toro mowers

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Totally not home gardening related, but I work for my government's forestry ministry doing long standing genetic trials and stuff. I'm trying to figure out a better way to map our inventory of planted stock. Our current way is just an excel spreadsheet that's representative of how everything is planted, but a visual accompaniment would be useful, especially if it were to scale. Would AutoCAD be worth looking into for importing datasets and translating strings of numbers into a map? The more I type the more it sounds like a fever dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Ah! Thank you! That's valuable information and will hopefully be worth the government's time and money to streamline. (The government's time is always worth spending)

Our site is very large. ~100 maps spread out over 500 acres. I know the techs doing the offsite fieldwork use GIS for mapping but I think it hasn't made its way onsite for inventorying because of its entry barriers for staff that a re just used to using Excel. I think I'll try to make a good case for some training

Bi-la kaifa fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 23, 2021