Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm not sure this is the best thread for it but I couldn't find a better one. I have a lilac bush that came down in a storm a couple years back. Apparently, enough of the root system is still there that it's basically been coppiced and there are now a good number of growths out of it, with the largest of them being 3-4 feet tall at this point.

What's the best way to deal with this? Keep all of them or trim it down to only a couple?

This guy has has good advice about pruning lilac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGOGsORv5EE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s nice when there’s a healthy mature tree growing somewhere it’s wanted, but there are a lot of deadbeat trees out there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Electric mowers own.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

His Divine Shadow posted:

Starting for the first time, just a 20 sec clip not showing much. But I am pretty excited! Nearly 450m of boundary wire and 100m of guide wire.

https://youtu.be/8G05oqesZaM

Moments later…

I don’t know what it is about elk and that particular brand of robot lawnmower, but it keeps happening.

Tell me you don’t have apple trees.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well I agree that they are not wapiti, but we’re going to have to disagree on what constitutes an elk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Elk” has a confusing history in English.

The Eurasian elk, Alces alces, was extirpated from the British Isles a very long time ago.

Centuries later, Brits colonise North America and meet a large sort of deer (Cervus canadensis). Having some vague notion that an elk is a large deer, they call this creature “elk”.

They also run into Alces alces, largest of all living deer. This is the same species present in Northern Europe and, at one time, in Britain. They don’t call it an elk, though. They borrow the word “moose” from Algonquin, and they do this before the founding of Jamestown.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 20, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The canopy looks healthy enough. It’s just that the trunk is structurally compromised and the would is not healing. The heartwood will continue to decay till it’s weak enough to succumb to the wind. It does not have twenty years left.

I wouldn’t be that worried about the excavation disturbing the roots of it or the birch, though. Put your patio where you want and they’ll be fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know a family that has a chopped garage that they keep a whole lot of bicycles in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Not sure where to put this. I admit I didn't look very hard for a tree thread.

I know that Cherry seeds need to be frozen (like over the winter) before they will sprout, or at least thats what I've read in a few places. So they can be frozen and still be viable once thawed.
But what about other seeds? I'm talking Acorns, Maple Keys, Walnuts etc. Do they "still work" after being frozen?

Is there a limit as to how long they can be frozen and still be viable?

Asking because I'm looking at buying a piece of land. When that will happen I'm not sure. Hopefully in the next few years, but...........? I'm hoping to collect some seeds from the woodlot beside my parent's house and plant them bitches when I find myself my own little piece of paradise.

It really varies. If you can buy seeds for a particular plant off the shelf, chances are that it’s something you could gather yourself and store on the shelf for at least a year.

The term of art for things like cherry seeds that need to be chilled for some weeks before they will germinate “cold stratification”. I’m cold stratifying some Arbutus unedo seeds in my refrigerator right now.

These seeds want to sprout after their first winter in the ground, but they can take one year of storage.

quote:

Immediately after collection, the fruits were immersed in water and the seeds manu- ally separated from the fruit flesh. Any floating seeds (􏰀10%) were discarded. Seeds were left to dry on tissue paper for 24 h at room temperature and then were placed in unsealed plastic petri dishes between filter paper. The petri dishes were placed in Styrofoam boxes (for darkness) and stored in a constant condition chamber at 25 °C and 30% relative humidity.

After two years of these conditions, germination rate was zero.

Different plants have different strategies. Many tropical plant seeds will die if they’re not kept at tropical heat and humidity and planted within a matter of days. Some plants are adapted to colonize an area after fire, and in artificial cultivation are soaked in “smoke water” that contains the chemical necessary to trigger germination. Some seeds are primed by a trip through an animal’s digestive tract and there are techniques to simulate that, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Starting trees from seed is rarely the most practical option, but if you want to try it, go for it. Just keep your expectations reasonable. It can take many years to get fruit, and if you want fruit that tastes good, you should learn how to graft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t mind me, friend. I’m just a rotund iris. :sun: