Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

The neighbors have a black locust. Not looking for advice, just started getting the first suckers for the year. RIP me ever having a nice yard.

Edit: also there's a absolute loving ton of elm saplings popping up and some sort of nightmare shrub with tap roots running from some unknown source that are thick as a loving anaconda. The other half of our yard is being taken over by choke cherries. We just bought the house in January so this is our first growing season.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention the bindweed problem. That's also everywhere lol.

Justa Dandelion fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Jfc y'all. This isn't from the black locust, this is a fuckass elm that's threatening to take out our roof. https://imgur.com/a/i1RXwA3

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Fragrag posted:

My lawn is infested with what I thought were dandelions but is actually mainly flatweed.

I ordered a Fiskars Weedpuller but I think I bought it at the tail end of its production and delivery has been delayed for a month so far. Meanwhile my lawn is still full of flatweed.

I read somewhere that unlike dandelions, removing the crown is already enough to remove the plant and it won't grow back from the taproot. If so, I'll just go to town with gloves and secateurs.

Yo, that fiskars is what's up. Good hand tool.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

I'm going to be doing a bunch of drainage poo poo to the yard this year as soon as the soil can be worked. Any drainage nerds here that I can bounce an idea off of?

Edit: Basically, I am hoping to do buried pvc pipes at each downspout, except two that are over concrete, which will get rain barrels). Additionally, I'll put a French drain along the northern facing side of the house, where snow tends to stick. The pvc and French drains will both run to drainage swales in the front and back of the house for passive rainwater harvesting. The swales will be filled with a layer of inorganic mulch and topped with organic mulch at grade and we will plant some native wetland plants in the center surrounded by a border of more drought tolerant shrubs and each one will have a fruit tree along the perimeter.

Am I missing any crucial details that would prevent this from working? Should I have a pop up emitter at the end of each run or would a debris trap be fine? How frequently should I T in catch basins along the French drain? We have heavy clay soil if that changes anything.

Justa Dandelion fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 28, 2024

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Finally removing this enormous jackass tree in my backyard this week :hehe:. It's like 1 ft away from my house and it's a biggun. Looking forward to my house not being slowly tilted into the ground.