Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

whiskas posted:

That would be awesome, i didn't know there was such a thing. I'm located in zone 4a for plant hardiness. The area they would be planted in sees full sun starting in the mid day until sunset, and the soil has decent drainage. Our winters are cold and long, summers are short, dry, and hot.
Bearberry will fill that entire space and shade out any weeds. It's super drought tolerant and hardy in zones 2-6 and depending on where you are it may be a native. Wildlife love the berries and it's covered in bees when it blooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Bearberry grows basically up to timberline all over the Rocky Mountains. If you want it to get bushy, give it generous water in the summer, but if you leave it alone, it'll slowly cover the available space.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

MrChrome posted:

I have a blue spruce in my back yard that always has stuff growing under it. It's hard to get in there and weed. I was thinking of removing a foot or two from the bottom.

Is this a good idea in that it'll be easier to weed?

Or a bad idea in that now all the weeds have access to sunlight?

I've got invasive things in my yard, such as Tree of Heaven.

Leave it. Full shade will deter more weeds. You might consider a companion planting of kinnikinnick around the base. It'll cover that area pretty effectively and further suppress weeds. Additionally, adding a cup or two of iron filings to the soil underneath the tree will put the blue back in your spruce.