Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just moved into a house that sits on 1.5 acres. Luckily I have a ride-on mower because it’s a lot of grass to cut.

The previous owner apparently decided to just pile all his grass clippings and leaves right in the back yard, leaving a loving mountain of leaves.

A few questions/thoughts:

My ride on has a bagger, but should I be using this all the time or just every now and then? With my push mower, I never really bagged because I had a mulching blade and would use the clippings as fertilizer. I’m assuming I could do the same with the ride on and maybe just use the bagger for fall (leaves) or if any of the grass is diseased so I prevent spreading anything around? Also I’d bag if the grass gets too long i suppose.

If I continue bagging, wtf should I do with all these clippings? I plan on hauling or burning the current mountain he left me. I was thinking compost, but my ride on mower with a 2 bin bagger filled up twice on my last cut, so that’s a lot of clippings to compost.

I don’t currently have a garden, so I’m not even sure what I’d use the compost for.z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Motronic posted:

And, yes....I cheated and used black dyed mulch again because it makes the few things I have in the beds pop. It's a lame excuse/move but I just haven't had the time and energy to get into really redoing these things properly.

Why is black dyed mulch “cheating”? I like it because it makes things pop.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Six months ago I had these five large logs (16-20"+ diameter, 10'+ long) dropped off in my driveway. They have just been sitting there, I thought it was going to be a failed project, I bit off more than I could chew. I have the Ego 18" Chainsaw, and wow, its easier than I expected to cut through these. I highly recommend this chainsaw if you are looking for a battery powered solution.

No more buying firewood this year!

Now I'm thinking about renting one of those hydraulic wood splitters. Anyone have suggestions? Just rent whatever from home depot?

Let’s go firewood!!

I just borrowed my neighbors 27-ton gas powered hydraulic log splitter today and split a ton of wood I’d had around. Takes forever to unstack, split, and restack but after four hours it was loving done.

I’m never cutting firewood again.

nwin fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 23, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Darchangel posted:

You will, because it'll all turn to dust before you can use it.
Sorry, not sorry.
voice of experience

That’s fine. We have no use for this other than the fire pit put back and our backyard is a forest with multiple fallen trees so we’ve just been cleaning it up.

My neighbor has a wood stove and actually uses this stuff but he has a huge surplus and doesn’t need ours.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m trying to grade my backyard after I’ve cleared a bunch of brush and trees and rocks out of the way. I’m guessing I’ll need about 4 or 5 yards of topsoil to have enough.

Initially I was thinking of getting the topsoil in the spring and overseeing then since I’m too late for the fall seeding. But then I’m thinking the topsoil might continue to settle and it will look hosed up.

Think a better idea would to be to grab the topsoil now, let it settle over the winter, and then add more if needed during the spring before reseeding?

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

wesleywillis posted:

Nothing says you can't but if you get lots of snow, the melt might wash a lot of it away.

I don’t think that will be an issue… where’s it going to run?

The back of the dirt/area by the fire pit is higher than the grass, so I’m trying to grade that a little better…at least smooth it out so my riding mower isn’t jumping all over the place once grass starts to grow.