Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Awesome, just what I need

Rhyno posted:

water mitigation issue.Our sump discharges out the back of the house. The PO ran a buried flex pipe about 30 feet away from the house where is dumps into a flat are of the yard. Between this and the constant rain this season we have a small swamp back there. The grade of the yard slopes down away from the house so we have no water in the house issues but the water in the yard is a problem and it sounds like it's been an issue for years according to the irked neighbor. So after doing some reading, my plan is to install a L-shaped french drain in place of the pipe and then build a 55 gallon dry well in the center of the yard.

So the backyard is extremely overgrown. We've lived here roughly 6 months and after clearly a large chunk of dead trees it looks like I haven't touched it.

Here's where I started this morning

45 minutes and some chain-sawing later

A few weeks ago a large tree fell right in the center of where I want to dig the dry well so I need to chop that up before we dig.

Here's my current plan

Dig L-shaped trench from the back of house discharge and down into the yard. Install PVC pipe in the fabric lined and gravel filled trench. This will run to the lower part of the yard where I will bury a 55 gallon drum in a fabric and gravel filled pit. he drum will be drilled full of 3/4" holes. I will most likely put a ground drain on the surface above the drum.
I have seem many designs for dry wells, should I put gravel inside the pipe and barrel? Just the barrel? Or just large rocks in the barrel? Any design input is welcome here. We are planning to dig the trench and pit in 3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Moving forward!

811 marked all the buried lines, ended up being clear of where we're digging tomorrow.

SUPPLIES

Just to sort out exactly how much gravel I need to back fill and pick up two 10' lengths of 4" pvc pipe to act as the main drain away from the house. We dig tomorrow!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jaded Burnout posted:

wtf is that thing

Those are NDS EZ Flow pre-sleeved drainage pipes. It turned out I had a friend who designs water mitigation systems for new residential builds and his company has been using these for a few years with great results. NDS also makes the dry well enclosure I am installing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Cool. Also doubles as a cuddly snake.

I could totally curl up and sleep on them. They also have a backfill product (the same filler without pipe) but no vendor in 100 miles had them so I'm using gravel to backfill around the well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

beep-beep car is go posted:

Count me interested! Our backyard is all clay and has standing water issues when it rains. It's also heavily wooded! How are you clearing the land/digging? By hand or by machine.

I've been clearing in my free time for a few weeks. In my previous posts you can see how overgrown it was. I've cleared a ton of the growth and cut down a few small trees. One large one fell and the city is going to take down a few more as they are hazards. Thanks to all the saturation I've been able to yank a ton of large plants right out of the ground.

One of my coworkers has a tractor with a backhoe on it so we'll be digging the pit and trench using that, he estimates if we don't hit any large rocks we should be able to do this fairly quickly. While he's hear we're going to rip two stumps out and move the fallen tree away from the dig site. I'll take as many pictures as I can while we're working. It's also supposed to be crazy hot tomorrow so I won't be doing to well install immediately. I also need to wait for the gravel delivery which isn't going to arrive until Monday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Started putting stuff together

Here's the dry well assembled. The grate at the top will be at ground level. I'm going to put a mesh in there to keep debris out.

Just an idea of how long the drain will be

And here's a hole!

We got the stumps pulled, the fallen tree dragged and the main hole dug. As we were evening out the sides the tractor blew a hydraulic line so we had to pack it in. I helped get everything loaded back up and after my buddy left I started digging the trench. Got to a 3 inch depth most of the length before the heat got to me.

Back at it tomorrow I hope!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
More supplies purchased

Made a few incorrect component choices before, should have every correct component now. The original plane was to run 20 feet of the NDS EZ Flo conduit across the yard but now I'm mildly concerned about the corrugated conduit holding up over time and pressure from the stone and dirt. They were also $50 a piece. So for that $100 I can purchase 4 more pieces of schedule 40 pipe, couplers and fabric and get additional gravel and the pipe will bee immensely stronger and probably last longer than I will at this point.

Thoughts?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wesleywillis posted:

Corrugated pipe is pretty strong when supported all the way around, but whatever.

The previous owners just ran a non perforated piece of corrugated pipe from the back of the house to the center of the yard. When I dug it up it was cracked and deformed in multiple places. That's what gave me concern, I dont want to be redoing this in 3 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I shot my plans off to a friend who paid someone to do this a few years ago. Since the main source of water is from my sump discharge he's telling me that I probably don't need the perforated pipes. And on top of that, 4" pipe is massive overkill for a sump drain. He said his installer used 2" schedule 40 all the way to the dry well with no perforations.

So I did a little more googling and found this video from This Old House

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8DDm0kvjfI

This is pretty much the problem I have except the water is running down the slope of the yard (and into the neighbors yard) instead of soaking right into the ground. So from here I think I'm going to re-engineer the project to 2" piping all the way to the pit. I am still going to just wrap the well in landscape fabric as advised by the manufacturer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Trenched, piped and testing

The pipe descends at the angle I was aiming for so the water is flowing nicely. Just waiting for the gravel to arrive so I can get the dry well in place.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oy, that's a fuckload of rock

So I'm really close to being ready here, just gotta deal with some rainwater in the pit. After that's out I want to dig out the hole a little bit more before I place the flo-well. Coming along now, should be able to wrap this up soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No photos but we had rain multiple times so I had to drain the pit before I could get back at it. I decided to dig out a bit further down so I can expand my drainage capacity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
QUAD POST

Doesn't look like a lot of progress but I carved out a few more inches and tamped it down. Then thought better of it and dug out another 6 deep 1x1 hole at the bottom for that extra bit of drainage. Tamped that down, trimmed a ton of roots out of the hole and started dumping rocks

At this point I was wrecked so I called it a day. Got about 3 inches of stone across the bottom of the pit. Gonna get about a foot of solid gravel in there tomorrow and then place the well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just gonna keep posting until someone tells me I've monumentally hosed up

With the first batch of stone in place, I was able to tamp it all down into a level base to start with.

Fabric in place. This is to keep as much dirt out of the well as possible.

Well placed for position and leveling.

The well is placed where I want it, began adding gravel

I got about 4 more loads of gravel dumped into the pit before my back gave out. So from here I need to cut and route the last length of pipe into the pit and test the dump to make sure it's flowing properly. Once that checks out I'l glue all the pipe seams into place. Should be able to bury the well and pipe by Saturday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We have water flow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92XbXPeGYP0

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All pipe joints are glued, water has been flowing for two hours with no leaks. Rounding third

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tagged out at home plate. Hurt my back while moving the last load of stone. Probably won't be an update for a bit as I can't heft a shovel or bend over at all really.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody else is contributing!

I'm still aching so I just dragged a rake across my yard a few times to start general clean up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

We've also spent the summer cutting back the forest to the property line and generally taking care of the land, it seems like the previous owners (and then some) were just like "meh" and let the woods encroach on the backyard making it smaller than it really is. It doesn't help that we have a zombie house next to us (abandoned for 12 years as the owner is 97 and in elder care, but still "owns" the property and won't sell [maybe she thinks she's coming back to it] that is more woods than yard at this point.

This has been my ongoing project in the backyard. It's a whole lot of work but we're gonna be ready to plant grass next year and it's going to transform the entire yard.

BUT, it turns out there is no governing body regarding the ownership of chainsaws, so I have one now and am about to use it to take down a bunch of small (less than 4" diameter) trees. I'll take some photos.

They will literally let anyone have a chainsaw! I have two now!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been fairly lucky, the ground has been so saturated that most of the brush is easily pulled out by hand and the small stuff is coming out with a rake.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got a lot done!

The well and drain pipe are buried, I need to buy a tamper so I can start evening out the ground

I started raking up all the brush, leaves, twigs and crap

For perspective, this is what the yard looked like before I started

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've just been clearing and cleaning up of late. Did a bunch of big stuff this morning

This tree is dead dead dead. Nothing was in danger of being damaged if it fell but I wanted to make sure it didn't fall on a person at any point.

Down and done

Also chopped down two smaller ones and dragged a ton of poo poo over to the burn pile.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We were quoted $7000 just to tear everything out and cut it up. Haul away and disposal was extra.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everything, 7 large trees were part of that.

I've cut down 4 of them myself and cleared 3/4 of the yard in my spare time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$120 a tree? How big are we talking? I have a 200 footer that was $600 on it's own due to size and difficulty.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It shares it's roots with an almost same sized tree so that one will likely die soon as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Take a picture of the area and hand it off to a friend with art skills. That's how we came up with what we're doing to our front yard/edge of the curb.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't help you with that!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Over the last month I have raked all the twigs and crap out of my yard and hand cultivated it with a garden weasel. Last week we brought in 14 yards of new topsoil and spread it out. We then planted grass seed, put some quick start stuff we got at Menards and started watering and holy poo poo today we have significant grass growth all over the yard.

This mess might actually work out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I made grass

These are all pictures from Tuesday, it's grown in very thick all over the yard now. I'm really happy that all this effort is bearing fruit. Or, well grass. I'd say that after planting 10 days ago we're at 50% total coverage with little more than watering. We bought one bag of quick start for what we though was going to be a rough patch but it grew in fine. Today we re seeded the large patches and moved our hoses around but it's raining now which is saving me the extra effort.

This is from yesterday, my front yard. Most of the ground in this photo was dry, barren ground or clay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I've been told. I had no idea, we just had to get it going. It was this or sod and that would have cost a fuckin fortune.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tons of new growth sprouting up in the back!

Just gotta coax it into a few barren spots and we'll be looking good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HD and Ryobi are in bed pretty tighy these days so they may be aligning to make that their "official" brand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Solkanar512 posted:

I had always thought that Ryobi *was* their in house brand, interesting.

I think they've slowly been transitioning to that. Until like, last summer you could still buy Ryobi directly from Amazon but it's all resellers now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I used a lot of fill dirt to level out my yard at the previous house, lots of holes like you've described. It took about 3 weeks of watering on top of planting before it fully firmed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Turn the head of your weed whacker sideways and string in a single super long piece. Cuts a really nice edge without buying another tool.