Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

For those that don't know, factory blemished is still basically new. Ryobi can technically only be sold new at Home Depot, so they are sold as factory blemished to get around that. Typically, the box might be banged up or have a hole, but every tool I've gotten has been immaculate.

Refurbished is legit refurbished with all the potential caveats of that and a shorter warranty. Personally, I would not get refurbished as the savings aren't worth the risk to me vs blemished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

am planting some bare root shrubs ( elderberry, serviceberry, etc) tomorrow and realized I need some sort of way to protect them from deer and rabbits. They're a lot more fragile than I had in my mind.

I'm thinking of just driving a 3 ft wooden stake in the ground maybe 6in away and then having a cylinder of 1/4" wire stapled to the stake (so 12in in diameter around shrub). Does that make sense or is there something better (I don't want to spend a lot)?

Also, at what point can you decide a shrub or small sapling is safe to leave unfenced?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Hmm, maybe my money, time, and effort would be better spent seeding a bunch of alfalfa and clover around the yard.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

My backyard (1.5 acres) has about 7 or 8 stumps in it from the previous owner. Half are basically level with the ground, and the other half stick up, 1 is about 8 ft tall (covered into a giant bat roost). The other 3 are about 1-2ft tall. I'm thinking about renting a stump grinder and grinding them up (or hiring someone if the price is right), but it would be cool to turn them into something interesting. I'm considering trying to turn one into a table or something, but am sort of iffy on that. Had anyone done anything interesting with stumps or have any cool ideas?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

I'm not an expert, but maybe my dumb explanation will make sense. The mechanism that roundup specifically uses is to be transported via the same systems that plants use for nutrition and energy. So a healthy growing plant in spring will basically spread the poison better within itself and die faster vs. a dry, "dormant" plant that is conserving energy and not actively transporting.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

How do you mean? Wide or high….or both?

that top part is already terraced. It’s just overgrown.

Basically just repeat that first terrace down the hill so there's a series of them.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Yooper posted:

I've got a solid plan this fall to attack the Glossy Buckthorn in my woodline involving a chainsaw, clippers, and a dauber of glyphosphate. Tests I did last winter show 100% success in killing the main tree.

The Buckthorn, lovely as it is, does make a nice barrier between my neighbor and I. Is there a thread favorite shrub or hedge I can plant that is deer resistant? I'm looking at Juniper or False Cypress to start but would like some variety. Zone 4.

I've had good luck with talking to my AG extension (per this thread) about the best native shrubs and bushes for things like that. Helped me find things that grow better in my climate/soil.

It just search Google for fast growing barrier in (blank).

Edit: also gently caress buckthorn. We have a 30 ft wall of woods on the left and back of our 2 acre yard, which also has a creek and it was full of buckthorn. I've made a decent dent in a year, but it's easily going to take me a few years at this rate to get everything in there.

Protip we learned at a zoo class - if you scrape the bark with a fork or knife in the early spring (or winter) when things are less dense, buckthorn has a bright orange, like a pumpkin, inside. Other stuff will be green.

Douche4Sale fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

We have a 40 x 20 foot garden that we used last year, after not being used for a few years by the PO (most things grew well). We also have a ton of compost that we plan to put out either a week before or after we plant things.

I'm trying to figure out when to send some of the soil in to get it analyzed so we know what fertilizer to put down now. Should I do it on the base soil? On the base soil after we add compost and till it in? Or is adding compost basically adding fertilizer and we don't need to worry about soil analysis?