Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
This thread still alive?

Posted this question in another thread, then finally found this one.

We just had a bunch of landscaping done and it looks great, except we now have some drainage issues:

How bad is this? Obviously they intended for this to be the drainage path, but it doesn't look like it's working out so well. Granted, we had a TON of rain yesterday in a short amount of time, but I want to make sure this isn't going to wreck everything. This sort of rainfall happens at least 1-2 times per year.

As an aside, most of that was previously grass, but was landscaped over because surface tree roots made it nearly impossible to maintain. It's always had SOME drainage problems, but never this bad.

edit: also the rock is steep, but not as steep as the picture makes it seem (especially closer to the top where the water is pooling). The mulched bit by the corner of the house is WAY steeper than the rocks.

edit again: also it's a very simply build. It's just 1 layer of rock on top of a plastic weave layer. Don't know exactly what it is, but it's different from the typical fabric mesh weedblock.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Here's a picture from the other side, gives a much better idea of the angle. And yes, the area on the left side is being washed out, so some adjustment will likely be necessary anyhow.

Also not the PNW, we're in the SE.

And digging a drain isn't really an option. The whole reason this got landscaped over is because it's a bunch of nasty surface roots from a nearby maple tree, so the existing grass was impossible to maintain. So digging would destroy a bunch of roots and I don't really feel like risking a 25-ish year old maple falling on the house... seems like poor planning.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Crossposting from the fix-it fast thread:

I have holes in my yard. Probably from critters, but up until now we've ignored them and I've managed to not sprain my ankle on them.

And then I sprained my ankle on one.

What's the best way to fix them? There's one in particular that's like 6" diameter, which is the main target of my anger, but there are several smaller ones (plus a spot where PO removed a tree and isn't quite level that I'd like to smooth out). Not sure how deep the main offender is, or if the critter is still active, but we've

Do we need some sort of sand fill topped with dirt? Can I just grab whatever bag of dirt/potting soil and throw it in there? Main concern here is a lasting fix that won't 1) wash away and 2) compact the instant it gets wet and require refilling a dozen times before it's done.

What is NOT a concern is grass. We have bermuda. It WILL grow over, whether we want it to or not.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Rhyno posted:

I used a lot of fill dirt to level out my yard at the previous house, lots of holes like you've described. It took about 3 weeks of watering on top of planting before it fully firmed up.

blugu64 posted:

I just use sand when I pull out rocks. Bermuda grows right over it

Wallet posted:

Any time you have soil that's not covered it's going to compact some with rain and things walking on it and so on but what you're filling with will make a big difference. At least around here what Home Depot sells as topsoil is basically unfinished compost which will compact a fuckload while a good loamy soil will compact a lot less. If you have a decent amount of area to cover (you mentioned flattening some stuff out) it's probably worth calling a landscaping supplier and having them dump off a yard (or whatever).

Whether sand is fine or awful probably depends on what the natural soil is like where you are. If you have clay-heavy soil and you add sand to it you're not going to have a great time.

OK, thanks all. I think I was hoping that that there was some secret way to do it that would be a one-and-done thing, but sounds like I just need to throw some soil in there and keep at it until it's flat. And yeah, we have lots of clay, so I'll probably just grab whatever soil is handy and just keep topping it off until it's flat.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
We have a corded edger that I only use maybe 2-3x a year. Does a way better job than the string trimmer, but I can't be bothered to drag it out most of the time.

But drat, the string trimmer just eats string like crazy when edging. No matter how good you are, you will grind against the concrete/whatever you're edging by.

That said, we have the 80V kobalt battery system for lawn stuff, and they have an edger... might be time to trade up. We have bermuda so it just creeps all over and makes edges look like crap after a week or two.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Darchangel posted:

They’re saying that they usually uses the string trimmer because the corded edger is a pain in the rear end.

E: fixed gender assuming.

I still don't do it every time I mow :ssh:

edit:

Motronic posted:

If you're worried about how much line you use you probably have a lovely head and/or need to learn how to wrap line properly.

Really it's just the fact that you're edging against (presumably) concrete/hardscape/etc., rather than trimming around a mulch bed or some other softer landscaping. I'm sure if you do it all day every day you get good enough where you're not hitting the concrete as much, but for me edging eats way more string compared to just trimming around normal stuff.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 24, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Stupid question, I hope:

Why the gently caress would you put hay down with gravel under a deck?

So we had a porch and deck built last summer, and we asked the contractor to put gravel underneath in order to help hold back weeds/etc. They did, but their sub put hay down as well.

And it's sprouting and growing.

How concerned should I be? I can't even fathom why you'd do this in area that you specifically don't want stuff to grow. But mostly I have no idea if this is an annual or perennial and if I need to take steps to sort it out, or if I can just wait it out.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Wallet posted:

Is it under the gravel or on top of it? I can't think of any good reason you would do this, but I can imagine some stupid ones.

In any case there could be a multitude of seeds in it. If it's actually under your deck it's probably not going to grow very well, but you may want to hit it with some herbicide if you're worried about it.

I forgot that I had a picture from 2 months ago:

It's growing decently down there. And that's why we asked for gravel in the first place... we have bermuda grass that grows everywhere except where we want it, and there were some aggressive shrubs that we built over (loropetalum and some others I don't know) so the gravel was intended to block things out as much as possible because we knew this was going to be an issue as is... no idea why they decided to contribute to the problem!

We've been spraying it periodically, but it didn't all sprout at the same time so we've had to go back over it several times. I'm sure if we're diligent it'll never get to seed, but I have no idea what it's going to do over the winter so that's what had me a bit worried that we're going to have a recurring issue.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I have no idea what it is :shrug:

The brown is what they put down, and the green is what's growing from it. Definitely different from what used to grow down there. So I assume the hay/straw/whatever is either sprouting new growth, or I guess maybe it brought some seeds along with it? I'd say there's no way they threw down some ryegrass on top of it all, but I know better than to assume that they wouldn't be that stupid.

I'll keep spraying it. I'll probably have to go down there routinely anyhow since there's some loropetalum remnants that got left behind.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
It's definitely not bermuda. Don't know what it is, but certainly not bermuda. My lawn is all bermuda, and I know that bullshit grass when I see it.

I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow maybe. Dunno, still weirded out by it being there to begin with. I cannot think of any good reason for the straw/hay/whatever to be there at all, let alone why it's sprouting and whether it's related or separate... so many questions.

Wallet posted:

Without a pre-emergent spraying is only going to kill stuff that has already sprouted. You could also cover it at the end of winter and leave it covered for a season to kill anything that's left.

It also looks like the gravel might not be very thick? It needs some depth to do much, particularly to things trying to grow through it that are already there vs new seeds trying to germinate.

It's mostly fine. That picture just happened to have a stump in it that got missed, so it looks like it's not too thick in that spot. Getting rid of that stump is on my to-do list, along with another one elsewhere that they missed.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Anyone have experience with, or know where to find good info for, clover lawns?

We're in the SE, NC to be exact, and our lawn is, of course, bermuda. I loving hate it. We could re-do it with zoysia, but I've read that this still requires a decent amount of maintenance. Plus it'll be expensive to nuke our bermuda and re-sod with zoysia.

So I figure if we're going to that extent, why not explore clover? Lower maintenance long term, cheaper short term, and more environmentally friendly.

I glanced at NC State's ag extension and they have a little info on it, but not much. From what I've read so far (haven't dug too deep), they actually recommend a tall fescue/clover mix. I'm not keen on more grass, especially fescue, but I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
That's interesting, for some reason I was under the impression that all clover was the preferred way and a grass/clover mix was a compromise for certain use cases.