Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Welcome to the landscaping thread.

Got questions about drainage? Earth moving? Retaining walls? Want to know how to best remove a tree stump or lay some cheapass paving? Then this is the thread for you.

Other threads to consider:
- If you want to chat about growing food outside, try Veggie and Herb Gardening.
- If you want to chat about plants in general, try Horticulture.
- For things about the house itself, try Home Zone.

Have fun and get digging.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wtf is that thing

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Cool. Also doubles as a cuddly snake.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

This has been my ongoing project in the backyard. It's a whole lot of work but we're gonna be ready to plant grass next year and it's going to transform the entire yard.

They will literally let anyone have a chainsaw! I have two now!

Is there some useful tool for clearing what is effectively meadow/brush in my yard now? I do own a strimmer (though the shed is currently held hostage by nettles and brambles) but even when I was just clearing thick grass with it it was having a lot of trouble. Current plan is a lot of manual effort with a sharp machete.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A brush axe will save your back. They’ve got to be razor sharp (your machete should be too. Get a good file and an axe stone). Surveyors use them here for making perfectly straight lines through the woods and this guys knows his trade:
https://youtu.be/Ib3_p1W1Bb8

If it’s more grassy and less woody, a sling blade will work too.

I was planning on using my normal tool sharpening stuff for my machete, is an axe stone more convenient?

It's definitely more grassy and viney. I'll look into both.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's definitely more grassy and viney. I'll look into both.

On initial investigation, both of these tools appear to be near impossible to find (online?) in the UK.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Your green and pleasant land has substantially fewer overgrown thickets than the US so I guess there isn’t as much call for them. Maybe a scythe? A machete and string trimmer will certainly do it, it just might be slower and more backbreaking, but I think British yards are the size of an average American living room anyway so idk.

See that really tall bush at the back? That marks the point where there's another 10 feet to go. Off in back right the corner (invisible in this photo, the shed-like thing you can see is a greenhouse) is my shed with my string trimmer in it. In the middle back is 200sqm of 100+ year old floorboards with nails sticking out of them. Every bush is 6 to 10ft deep. The middle-distance "bushes" are actually large patches of nettles around 7 to 8ft tall.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

For sharpening, normal stones will work fine. Axe stones are like hockey pucks made of oilstone that fit in a pocket and are easier to hold in the hand since sharpening axes etc. you are bringing the stone to the tool, not the tool to the stone. They’re cheap too, and it keeps whatever sap or dirt might be on an axe off the good stones. The steel on most yard kind of tools is soft enough to sharpen with a file, but the extra sharp from a stone makes a difference.

kk

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My elderly neighbour tried something similar, nearly burned the street down.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’d get what grassy stuff you can with a string trimmer and then just start hacking away with a machete. It’ll go faster than you think and I think it’s very satisfying, stress-relieving, instant gratification sort of work.

I'll need to machet my way to the shed to get the strimmer, but yeah I think a nice sharp machete will help a lot.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

So like he said, about the size of an average American living room. :haw: :fsmug:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bought a wheelbarrow. The game is afoot. Or.. awheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Coasterphreak posted:

JB, have you considered hiring somebody to come clear that out for you? I have no idea what landscapers cost in your area, but here across the pond there's a zillion crews with the proper equipment that could rough clear that in a day for a few hundo.

There are some, and I've contacted a few, it can be surprisingly hard to even get a quote.

We'll see if my motivation holds, otherwise I'll start calling around again.