Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My Ryobi convertible battery/AC string trimmer has been a pain in the rear end lately with my larger so I bit the bullet and picked up an EGO 56V string trimmer.

I have become death, destroyer of wayward grass.

Seriously though this thing is the tits, and incredibly satisfying to use. I really missed a proper bump feed trimmer. Powerful as gently caress too, it immediately sliced right through an overripe cantaloupe from a vine that had escaped the garden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Worth pointing out that the quality of service you get from an 811 locate varies to an absurd degree. I've seen them very diligently swinging their sensor back and forth for well over a minute to nail down the exact center of the pipe, and I've also seen them using a dowsing rod they fashioned out of a scrap of rebar tie wire that they nicked from a nearby construction site.

The daylighting crew working after the latter guy looked really pissed off.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The previous owner of this house was really proud that they had run a French drain along a low point at the edge of the garden, going back to a rainwater culvert.

There was a ton of water pooling along the edge of the garden after 1" of rain, so I went back to see what was happening. I dug down and found the French drain, and found out that he had backfilled the entire length of the trench with clay-heavy dirt. Zero crushed stone.

I guess I need to call 811 and get a locate done because I'm going to be digging that fucker back out again.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh, there was filter fabric... Wrapped directly around the perforated drain pipe. I had thought that the problem was root intrusion into the pipe clogging it so I cut a small access hole (there were no access points in the entire drain system) and let me tell you the inside of that pipe is loving immaculate.

I'm figuring out that doing 95% of the work correctly then omitting a critical finishing detail that basically renders the entire effort meaningless was the previous owner's preferred way of doing things. For example there is a wonderful very well done gutter system installed with downspout extensions that drain away from the foundation, but then he decided to put a single 55 gallon rain barrel on one of the downspouts without any provision for overflow. Since that downspout is handling about 300 ft² of roof it takes less than 1/3 or an inch of rain before the barrel starts pouring water out the top where it flows directly against the foundation.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

He also installed chicken wire fencing around the entire garden "to keep the rabbits out" (according to my neighbor). Again it is quite nicely done with the edges of the wire covered with trim pieces.

He didn't bother to put any wire at the bottom of the gates or at a short segment of picket fence at the rear of the garden. You can literally see the scuff marks where the rabbits just go right under both of those spots.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Garymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside drains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level puddles stretch far away.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Looked a bit more and it is actually one of those pre-fabricated "just toss it in a trench!" corrugated pipe French drains (but with the stingiest amount of the plastic aggregate I've ever seen). I'm sure it would work just fine when placed like 6-18" deep in decently sandy soils, but 36" deep and completely under a layer of soil with a permeability of ~0.1 inches per hour per usda measurements... not so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Motronic posted:

I still don't have a good tomato solution. Every tomate cage I've bought has been garbage that I have to prop up with stick and zip ties throught the season, so those are all going to meal recycling. I'm starting clean when I do restart.

My father spent an afternoon fashioning cylinders of field fence similar to this stuff using a 55 gallon drum as a jig about 25 years ago and has used them ever since. He tied the fence as best he could and then used a oxyacetylene torch and some solder to place stakes around the lower perimeter and to make drat sure the whole thing wouldn't come apart.