Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I'm not sure this is the best thread for it but I couldn't find a better one. I have a lilac bush that came down in a storm a couple years back. Apparently, enough of the root system is still there that it's basically been coppiced and there are now a good number of growths out of it, with the largest of them being 3-4 feet tall at this point.

What's the best way to deal with this? Keep all of them or trim it down to only a couple?

The black paper stuff is the weed barrier that got ripped out when the bush fell and I haven't bothered to mess with it yet. The previous bush had two main stalks that split a bunch. One fell hard and took out the second.

ssb fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Tree question:

A couple years ago, I transplanted a baby maple tree of some variety (I thought it was a red maple as we have one in the backyard, but it's looking awfully green) that started growing through a gap in the weed barrier in the garden into the front yard. The root system was a bit odd, but I did the best I could with it, and it seems to be doing OK. The problem is it's starting to grow like a bush:

It's kind of hard to tell from the photo, but there's one V branch right next to the bottom that's kind of big, and a couple small ones as well. I believe the correct fix for this is just to cut those off as well as anything else too low, but I'm not sure on a couple things:

1.) When is the best time to do that? Now? After it loses its leaves? Beginning of spring?
2.) How far down should I cut branches off (assuming that's the correct fix?)

Anything else?

ssb fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 11, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Don’t cut off more than a third at any one time.

As far as timing, here in the PNW we prune maples in August or September so there’s enough time before winter for the cuts to heal over. So cut a few, wait for next year, cut a few more and so on.

What general region are you in?

Wisconsin. So cut off that bottom V maybe in August since it's the worst offender?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, I think that’s reasonable.

Thank you!