Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Added some drainage/erosion mitigation along one of my fence lines. Put some treated 2x4 scrap across, and cut out slots on the bottom half for the water to flow through the rocks. This particular drain handles a lot of flow off the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I really need to get better about watering the sod I put down in the front yard this spring, I covered up a bed that was previously small rocks. I dug out as much of them as I could but after years of the bed being there the rocks were pretty well embedded into the dirt. The sod took okay at first but it’s definitely stressed in the heat compared to the rest of the established lawn.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This kind of hardscape:

The tiny rocks just embed themselves in the dirt over the years and you get a nice inch thick+ layer of compacted dirt and rock. I would have had to dig it all out and bring in topsoil and I already spent way too much time cleaning up the rocks in the bed already. The sod is well established, I haven’t been able to lift it up for a while now.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Putting this drainage pipe in from the downspout down to the drainage easement is gonna suuuuuuck.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Standing in it to take the picture, it’s the final ~15ft of the rear of the property. I’m gonna route the pipe slightly to the right of the tree to hopefully not flood it more than it already is in the spring.

I know 811 is advisable but I am 100% certain that there isn’t anything where I will be digging. All of the utilities come in either through the front of the house or in the other rear corner wrapping around to the front. I’ll definitely be calling them when I do drainage pipes in that corner though.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Gave up after the sun peeked over the house, I picked the wrong weekend to do this. Gonna have to go pick up a mattock, our clay is really dense about 8 inches down.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My initial work assessment was correct, that suuuuuucked. Nothing but dense clay the whole way down; thankfully the mattock made relatively short work of it.

Even managed to give myself heat exhaustion right as I was finishing up for the day so that was fun. Just need to throw the dirt back in and put the sod back into place.

...and then seriously consider spending the money on a trencher for the other corner I want to do drainage piping as there is over twice the length of this one to deal with.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s taken some work but the yard is pretty clear of weeds. It looks pretty good all trimmed up!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Fuuuck this bush. I’m tempted to pay the neighbor kid to dig out the rest of it. I also need to dig a hole in the other corner of the patio for a birch tree that’s getting delivered on Friday, so I might just spend extra and have him do both.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sadly there isn’t enough room to get a truck in the back yard at a good angle without a lot of messing up the grass. I just kept plugging away at it this week and finally got it loose...then immediately realized that the root ball was way too heavy for me to even lift out of the hole. Crappy old axe to the rescue!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Birch tree was delivered yesterday afternoon and I got it in the ground after dinner. Should give us some nice shade once it matures.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 19, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My wife liked the birch tree so much that she wanted another one on the corner of the house.

I put some pavers in next to the drainage pipe while I did it to protect it from the roots.

It’s gonna be 10+ years before we can afford to do this but we want to eventually completely re-do the patio, expand it, and put in a screened in porch in one side. I did a basic sketch of what the plan would look like.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

rdb posted:

That doesn’t look like a birch to me?

No, but I definitely see one right here! :v:

Poor phrasing aside, a birch tree next to the foundation would be bad news.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I love my neighbor’s maple this time of year. I also appreciate that the leaves pretty much land/stay on the outside of the fence.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So the back 15-20ft of my property is a drainage easement. For the first two springs we owned the house it turned into a total swamp so that seems to be normal. Fun for the kids to stomp through though!

As I’ve been doing yard projects any excess dirt gets sprinkled into the low spots.

Once I can fill in the south side of the ditch, I’ll start spreading grass seed into the mud. Ultimately, I want to turn the entire easement into a native plant/flower/tree extravaganza.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Man, I just pay someone. I don’t give two shits about what nutrients, etc need to go on as well as keeping track of when it does. gently caress a tru-green tho, I’m with a local company that does organic only.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
smdh if you don’t edge every single time

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Somewhat proud of this sod install. Previously, this entire area was a small rock bed on top of our wonderful central Indiana clay. Dug all the embedded rock and clay down 4+”, put topsoil down, then laid in sod once it arrived at the garden center. Managed to get it done in almost exactly 3 rolls with a tiny bit of excess. Now to move on to the other 7 rolls and where I need to repeat the process...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That was a hell of a lot of work for a little bit of extra grass but the rock bed was way too big. At least I put a border in while I was at it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Between my neighbor and I, the space between our houses is absolutely beautiful every spring.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Something with a Honda engine. Next question!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The sod I put in has come in nicely. Now that the weather is nice my wife planted a few more things in the front. This pretty much concludes the re-work of the front that we’ve been doing since we moved in two and a half years ago. Now that everything is planted and I put in a low profile downspout I picked up 22 bags of river rock from Lowe’s to fill in everything. I also touched up the left side of the garage with the low profile downspout I put there.

The back needs a little bit more work before it’s done, but the work is slowly in progress.

E: allllll this poo poo got ripped out for grass.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 16, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Are you already invested in a battery ecosystem I.e. Milwaukee, ryobi, etc? Just get the best available one that works with your batteries, it should be adequate.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Went ham on the bushes on the side of my garage last night. They get sun all day and this isn’t the first time I’ve cut them back, but never this drastically. Limb pickup scheduled with the town for Monday!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I was tired of mowing/trimming around the utility boxes in my yard up by the neighbors and it looking like poo poo. I pulled out all of the grass to trim up the edges, planted some low-profile ground cover, and covered it all with several bags of river rock.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
As I’ve had extra material/sod left over from other yard projects, I have been working on smoothing out the drainage swale easement that is the last 20ft of our property in the rear. I am making appropriate adjustments as heavy storms occur but I can already tell a difference in how fast it drains and dries out instead of it staying a swamp like it used to.

I have some additional drainage plans especially with the other major downspout in the rear but I’d rather wait until it is a bit cooler before digging that trench in clay.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 10, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just get the edger, it will look 100x better and be a lot easier to use. There’s probably one available in whatever battery system you use.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

DaveSauce posted:

We have a corded edger that I only use maybe 2-3x a year.

devmd01 posted:

smdh if you don’t edge every single time

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
drat, a good demonstration of why yucca is a hardy plant. We ripped out a somewhat large one in this spot last year and replaced it with iris bulbs. Apparently I didn’t get as much of the root as I should have because it grew back in during the summer. thankfully it all pulled out easily but that was cool to see.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
First, buy a few million in liability insurance…

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The trees from the town fall sale need to get here, I’m ready. Carefully excavated the sod and used it to fill in dead spots throughout the yard. Hopefully the swale will no longer be a muddy mess in the spring!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Swamp Oak, Red Maple, and an Eastern Red Cedar, all native. Placed them to help out with privacy from the neighbors, though it will take quite a while before they are useful.

There is a row of lovely pines along the swale so I am starting to plant more trees along the back as they die off and I cut them down.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Hell yeah we got trees

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah I just pay someone too. I really don’t want to learn about lawn fertilization/weed control or keep track of what to apply when, etc etc.

Your company sucks.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

lite_sleepr posted:

It's lawns that are the scams.

:hmmyes:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Soul Dentist posted:

Grass lawns suck major dick so do literally anything to get rid of it.

That is my long term vision for a good portion of it. My fenced in suburban back yard is stupid huge and we don’t need that much grass for the kids and dog to run around in. I plan to basically take the rear 20’ of swale and re-wild it with native prairie grass, wildflowers, add more trees to fill in the gaps to the neighbors from the existing trees, etc. Aerating and overseeing with micro clover is also in the cards for the rest of it.

Green existing trees
Blue additional trees
Red existing strawberry patch / move the garden there.
Yellow do not mow or spray

Since we bought the place I’ve been working on grading and getting the drainage to flow smoothly to the southern end where the storm drain is just outside the fence. It’s all going to be a very long term project but I look forward to what it will look like in five years or so. In fifteen years I do not want to be able to see a single one of my neighbors when I sit on the back patio.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 13, 2022

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Next spring, I want to turn the entire drainage swale easement into a wildflower/prarie grass area. It’s about 160’x20’, basically the fence to the tree line. Found some seed mixes from an in-state supplier that are appropriate for my zone and dealing with standing water for a couple of days in spots.

I also have some appropriately sized native trees picked out to plant on the upslope by the fence for more privacy, so I need to get those in place this fall.

From what I’m reading, you really want to clear the area of all vegetation for the best chance of everything taking, either chemically (hard no especially being the drainage swale), mechanically, or baking it dead with plastic.

All of those options are not ideal as I really don’t want a complete mud pit back there, so come late summer when everything is dry and hot I plan to to mow the area on the lowest setting to scalp the grass and hopefully get it overly stressed. Next spring, rent a slice seeder and go to town on the area.

Whatever happens, happens; I know establishing an area like this will take 2-3 years. For anyone who has done something like this, any suggestions?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Ugh, we need to find places for all of the landscaping around the back patio to go except for the tree. It all needs to be cleared out by the end of September so they can start on the patio remodel. Hopefully too many don’t die with the transplants!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I am going to finally get started on re-doing the swale from turf to native wildflower/prairie grass, about 1300 sq ft. Decided that getting it done now for that cold moist stratification should get it off on the right foot. I plan on throwing various bulbs out there too, whatever Costco has in bulk this fall.

Glyphosate and dye are on-hand and a local rental place has a high brush mower to cut down the existing grass growth, i haven’t cut it all year.

Debating whether to also rent a slit seeder when it’s time or just hand broadcast.

And since prescribed burns are part of managing it every few years, I left a voicemail to talk with the fire marshal about it since I’m in the middle of a neighborhood. From how I read state law I am in the clear, but I suspect they would appreciate a heads up with a burn plan at minimum.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So my spidey sense is tingling about the prairie grass conversion, just because I’m surrounded by houses. Specifically, the necessary prescribed burns every few years. I don’t want to start the process of conversion if I can’t manage it well, so I emailed a land management consultant to help give me the green light on whether it can be done safely given that there is only a 3ft gap from the fence.