Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is there some useful tool for clearing what is effectively meadow/brush in my yard now? I do own a strimmer (though the shed is currently held hostage by nettles and brambles) but even when I was just clearing thick grass with it it was having a lot of trouble. Current plan is a lot of manual effort with a sharp machete.

A brush axe will save your back. They’ve got to be razor sharp (your machete should be too. Get a good file and an axe stone). Surveyors use them here for making perfectly straight lines through the woods and this guys knows his trade:
https://youtu.be/Ib3_p1W1Bb8

If it’s more grassy and less woody, a sling blade will work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

On initial investigation, both of these tools appear to be near impossible to find (online?) in the UK.
Your green and pleasant land has substantially fewer overgrown thickets than the US so I guess there isn’t as much call for them. Maybe a scythe? A machete and string trimmer will certainly do it, it just might be slower and more backbreaking, but I think British yards are the size of an average American living room anyway so idk.

For sharpening, normal stones will work fine. Axe stones are like hockey pucks made of oilstone that fit in a pocket and are easier to hold in the hand since sharpening axes etc. you are bringing the stone to the tool, not the tool to the stone. They’re cheap too, and it keeps whatever sap or dirt might be on an axe off the good stones. The steel on most yard kind of tools is soft enough to sharpen with a file, but the extra sharp from a stone makes a difference.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driptorch

I’d get what grassy stuff you can with a string trimmer and then just start hacking away with a machete. It’ll go faster than you think and I think it’s very satisfying, stress-relieving, instant gratification sort of work.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mastershakeman posted:

is this the lawn thread. please help me my lawn is dying. i'm in chicago so probably too late to even plant more grass but I did that last year and it didn't do poo poo

3 trees (big, medium, small), the side yard that has full sunlight to the east and south is constantly overgrown, the front yard (faces due south, plenty of light too ) is just completely freaking dead and the medium tree in it has roots that are pulling out of the ground more every year

where the heck do I read up on what to do I'm so clueless and I fear the answer is 'buy 40x50lb bags of dirt and dump them on the roots
It's very very hard to establish new grass under mature shade trees. You can keep already established grass going without too much trouble, but getting new grass started can be really tough. Big trees have huge, efficient root systems that compete with the grass for water and nutrients, plus the tree is getting first crack at the all-important sunlight. It can be done, but it might be easier, better looking, and less maintenance to think about converting it to a shade tolerant sort of garden. Look at shade tolerant groundcovers, and there are lots of neat plants that like shade and aren't a ton of trouble and look nice.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

To echo what Hubis said, raise your mower to the highest setting for St. Augustine, and mow every single week when it rains (really every 5 days is best). The utility co. patch looks like zoysia maybe, but more likely bermuda or bahia or some poo poo. I'd zap it and start over with st. Augustine sod, but if you have healthy st. augustine around it and keep it wet, the st. augustine may take over. It is aggressive and it likes it wet. Your erosion area under the tree is likely to be tough. It is really hard to get new grass established in shade, and I think Hubis is right that you have some soil compaction issues (if you are on red clay this can be a big problem). Your soil also looks kind of low in organic matter, but that's pretty normal in much of the south. Fertilize and don't bag/remove the clippings and the soil will improve over time. "Crusty area with weed" looks like it may be compacted as well, and could use some fertilizer and water. That weed is spurge I think and at least in my yard it seems to mostly take over in hot, dry parts of the yard.

Fertilize to get the grass up, cut it high so it can shade its own roots (and shade out the weeds) and preserve moisture, and water deeply but infrequently to encourage deeper root growth. It's a little late but not too late to fertilize. I would go with just a high nitrogen fertilizer this year to help get the grass in better shape, and then maybe next spring get on it early with a pre-emergent and then a weed and feed with atrazine to start to fight the weeds once the grass is happy.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

They are usually like $12 so I just get a new one every year or three when I remember.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

You can cut the woody thing coming out of the liriope/lily turf and IMMEDIATELY! paint the cut end with undiluted roundup/glyphosate and it should kill the woody thing and not the liriope. Your roses all look like Knockouts, and the thing you think and azalea is. Back behind the barn (the pic with the AC unit) the tall shrub/tree thing looks like privet and you should TERMINATE WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE. Roundup the cut ends like with the other woody thing. You can also cut it down and just keep spraying whatever new growth comes up and eventually you will kill it. E: reread and you are already doing that, whoops! You can prune the rose bush as aggressively as you want-they are very tough and vigorous and about impossible to kill.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Irritated Goat posted:

Goons, help me kill this bastard once and for all. The stump in the middle is less of an issue than the stuff growing around it.

Spray that new growth with a very strong roundup solution. When/if they come back, do it again. It probably won't take more than twice. Crepe myrtles are tough but not like wisteria tough.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how many rocks are you talking about? while sod is obviously temperamental i think you would need to to have some REALLY bad underlying conditions to be causing that. can you pull up the sod or has it rooted in? if it's rooted in well but still stressed, you might be having a water retention issue.

also hello everyone i manage a 130 acre nursery in new jersey so if anyone has any tree questions i am happy to help

What do you grow? Trees or shrubs or what? If trees, do you start from seed or buy liners/seedlings? Are they in pots or in ground? The nursery business is pretty big around here and I've always been curious how it works. How did you get your job-horticulture/agriculture school or hands on experience or what?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PCjr sidecar posted:

Good pesticides for creeping charlie?
What kind of grass do you have? It's not that hard to kill, but for me with St. Augustine (pretty sensitive to herbicides) I had a tough time for a while. 2, 4 D killed it and didn't quite kill the St. Augustine, but definitely knocked it back. The thing that finally worked was weed and feed fertilizer in the spring with atrazine. I think you can get it as a liquid to spray too?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Could you put in a waterbar or three across the road? That’s commonly done here on forest roads where they have go straight down hill. Shoots the water off into a ditch so it’s not the all the water racing down the hill top to bottom. Maybe a pain to drive over very day though?

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 13, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

(and if you're picking up on a theme, yes, my go-to source for a lot of gardening and turfgrass information is always ag schools. I'll listen to other sources but they don't get nearly the weight of a consensus of ag school research/papers)
:same:

Once you find the ones that are great for your area, it opens up a ton. Everything from forest and tree management to grafting tomatoes to fight weird local conditions. For me it's LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, Florida State and Clemson are my heroes.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I keep a narrowish rectangular spade very sharp for this kind of thing. Great for transplanting and removing grass too. I have very little use for round nose shovels.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This is an odd post and I'm not quite sure where to ask it (hunting thread? IDK) but this seems like the most appropriate DIY thread. What's going to be the best way to get rid of a beaver dam? It's fairly inaccassible to any kind of heavy equipment, so it's probably going to be me with a some waders and a tool of some sort. It looks like it is mostly mud, not sticks, but I'm sure there are sticks under the mud. Should I just chop a small hole in it with a mattock and let water/erosion do the rest?

I remember my grandfather saying they used to get someone to dynamite them, but I don't think you can just walk into the hardware store and buy a stick of TNT anymore. It's on private land, and from what I can tell my state considers beavers damaging timber to be a nuisance/vermin and there's no regulation protecting them/their dam as long as I'm not trapping them for fur (which is a post for a different thread). They're cute and all and the pond is kind of nice at the moment, but my parents' also don't want them hanging around forever and eating every sapling and killing every tree in a 200 yard radius.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks for all the options! The drain pipe things sounds like a good idea here.

Now off to find the official TFR Beaver Hunting thread or w/e.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

devicenull posted:

Thanks for the suggestions!

This is what I'm dealing with (lovely fence isn't mine):

You're going to have a hard time getting much going in all that shade (and with all those walnut seedlings). I hate to say it and I know it's invasive, but this might one of those places where English ivy is actually the right choice.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s....not like cars? There aren’t especially huge leaps being made in gasoline powered mower technology, so I wouldn’t wait for the newest model to come out. I have a Honda mower and it’s great and I think they are pretty bulletproof and fairly fully featured. Mine has the thumb paddle speed control and I love that and it mulches really well. They’re not cheap, but they are good.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bioshuffle posted:

Any tips for pulling out really tiny leaf weeds like bittercress and ? I have a hard time getting them by the root because they just tear right off. I bought some spray weed killer from Home Depot to spray in November, and it didn't do jack squat.

What kind of weed killer? Roundup/glyphosate should kill about anything (including your grass/shrubs-be careful)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bioshuffle posted:

I used this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Roundup-1-Gallon-Lawn-Weed-Killer/1000182245, which is safe for my lawn.

I am assuming it's much too late to use granules, but I'm really kicking myself for not getting on that earlier. It just got too confusing because my back and front lawn are made up of different grasses.

What kind of lawn and what kind of weeds do you have and approximately where are you? At least here in the deep south, we get alot of winter weeds that die off pretty quickly and aren't that big of a deal in the summer lawn. I had good luck last yr controlling my creeping charlie with weed and feed fertilizer, but it's usually better to apply the herbicide component before the fertilizer. Sprays hadn't given me good results-2,4D would kill the creeping charlie but also hurt my St. Augustine (it's very sensitive to herbicides). It's about time to put out a granular pre-emergent herbicide here to keep the spring/summer weeds from sprouting.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kicks forts posted:

I'm thinking about putting together a general low-impact/sustainable housing/living thread. Building methods like lime mortar, papercrete or recycling glass bottles as floor insulation. Maybe some stuff about permaculture, specifically methods to reduce reliance on pesticide. I don't know if there's a ton of interest; haven't found anything similar apart from the closed Sustainable Agriculture thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605954

I have some links of my own, and was going to scour for anything useful from the Wilderness Living and other threads. Does anyone have any other threads to check out?
There is a ‘green building’ thread around here somewhere which may be what you’re looking for, but also feel free to make whatever thread/s you want about whatever!

E: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865561

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bloody posted:

I live in the greater seattle area. how do I get rid of all of these dang blackberries and ivy. I have a kind of unimpressive corded weedwhacker should I just get something beefier and go hog wild

also if this doesn't count as landscaping just holler
Glyphosate/roundup. Or be prepared to pull them 2-3x/yr every year for 3-4 years.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Inzombiac posted:

So I'm gonna get rid of the grass and replace it with white clover. I'll also need to level out some portions of the soil between steps.

If I want to do this myself, can I just kill the lawn with high-strength vinegar and seed the clover over the grass corpse or does it need to be dug out?

You can just seed clover in the grass you have without killing it. I get clover coming up in my grass all the time, and if I didn't mow it it would probably start expanding. I think the easier way to convert from grass/lawn->meadow is just quit mowing and see what comes up. Your yard is gonna look really bad if you kill all the grass, and I don't know that a clover mono-crop is a ton better than whatever will come up through your grass bees. Plus its a whole lot easier than spraying a quarter acre of grass. See what wants to grow there when you quit mowing-you'll probably get a bigger variety of wildflowers with blooms in all seasons.

Depending on your neighbors/municipal code, they may not let you have a meadow lawn, so definitely research that before you nuke your grass. You can probably get around that by having some well maintained grass/lawn, and turning the rest of it into 'flower beds' that just so happen to be full of meadow flowers. Natural meadow stuff does tend to look a whole lot better if you mow some paths and through it and have some little lawn-like sitting areas. Just mow what grows-don't warry about it being grass or whatever. If you keep the open/mowed areas maintained it will look intentional rather than abandoned.

If you do want to kill your grass, I'd use glyphosate instead of vinegar. I don't think household vinegar will kill grass easily.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What is the best way to accomplish this effect? Is it:

1. Dig every hole individually, applying gravel/sand independently for each stone
Or
2. Dig up the whole plot at once, cover the whole area in gravel/sand, place the pavers, and then fill in the cracks with topsoil and plant grass?

Step 0.5: Ask yourself if you really want to edge that once a week all summer to keep it looking like the picture.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yooper posted:

I just hired a guy to do 2 acres of lilac / tag alder removal with a skidsteer chipper. 3 hours of work at $175 an hour. It's all inside of a 100 year old orchard that has the most monstrous apple and cherry trees I've ever seen. Should look pretty cool when he's all done. We've got a bunch of hawthorn, mountain ash and crab apple we'll be planting in a few weeks. The trick is going to be to keep the deer off of them.

Anyone tried the tree tubes before? I'd rather not build an enclosure around all of the trees.

I haven't personally but I plan to when I plant a bunch of hardwood seedlings. I think if you use them on small 1-2' seedlings, by the time they are growing out the top of a 5' tree tube they're going to have enough roots and other leaves to survive a little bit of deer browsing, but it probably depends just how many deer you have. A forester friend highly recommends them, especially in an old field situation where the trees are much more visible and accessible. No to mention the rabbits that like old fields.

Deer also REALLY like new, fresh and fertilized from the nursery stuff, so protecting them that first year or two when they are adjusting to the native dirt (and start putting out leaves that are no tastier than the leaves in the woods) is really important. I've definitely noticed it where I've planted new 3gal plants. If I don't fence them they'll strip them bare in a year, but if I fence them for 2-3 years, they leave them mostly alone when the fence comes off and the plants are well established. They would rather eat tender, well fertilized new growth off fresh from the nursery a holly that is supposedly 'deer resistant' than the new growth of an oak in red clay.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 23, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

devmd01 posted:

Something with a Honda engine. Next question!

I really, really, love my Honda mower. Even with old gas after all winter it starts on the first or second pull every time.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Quick question for the lawn-havers.

I'm throwing an event at a friend's rural property in a few weeks and installing a 40' radius tent w/ dance floor, tables, and chairs.

How many days before the grass under the floor and under tent shade begins to show damage? Die off?

The grass under the tent will be fine for a long time. A week, at least. The grass under the dance floor is like, a day tops. Make sure the tent is up and shading things before you put the floor down. Covered grass in sun can be killed in hours down here. Depending on the soil, all the foot traffic may make a mess of the grass but it should recover fairly quickly.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PCjr sidecar posted:

Trying to cut a trail through an overgrown area; went through with a brush hog but now have a lot of foot-high 1/2" - 1 1/2" diameter woody spikes and stumps. I want to maintain as much grassy cover and topology as possible, so I don't want to scrape or plow. I think trail builders would tell me to use a mattock or a weed wrench (https://www.ecolandscaping.org/07/resources/product-reviews/product-review-weed-wrench/), but I'd really like to have something I could hook up to a tractor. Any thoughts on if I have a lot of these to deal with?
You can either keep bush hogging and eventually the grass will take over and the little stumps will die and rot, or run over it all with one of those mulcher things that go on the front of a Bobcat and then mow regularly.

You need to mow it at least once a year in fall in perpetuity, but if you also mow once in early summer after stuff has put out it's new growth it will kill the little trees pretty quickly as they will exhaust their energy reserves in a hurry.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm half tempted to give up learning how to edge with a weed whacker and getting an edger. I keep scalping the gently caress out of the grass. Is there just a steeper than normal learning curve for this? Getting a strap has helped control it better, but I still don't feel like I can trim in a straight line.

You have to walk backwards/left to right if you're doing it with a weedeater. It's impossible to do while walking forwards. IME it's easier with a straight shaft weedeater than a curved shaft one.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I know they're quite pricey when they're this size, which is why I thought to ask. I've also got no clue what species they are.

I'll give a local nursery a ring and see what they say.
Post good pictures of the leaves and bark and we can ID the species.

Moving them can be an option which may or may not be a)economical or b) successful. To help make it successful, the trees will need pretty good care for a year or two afterwards (watering, mostly), and they probably won't grow much at all in that time as they recover from being transplanted.

Depending on species, with good soil and aggressive fertilization/watering, you could grow a $30 3-gallon tree up to that size in ~5 years around here, and it will probably be a healthier, happier tree long-term. I know an arborist here who makes alot of money moving fairly large trees and says if you plant a 10 gallon ~1.5" caliper tree and a 3" caliper dug tree, in 10 years you won't be able to tell the difference because the bigger tree gets slowed down so much more by transplant shock. But you can get a big tree, where you want it, Tomorrow, and that's worth a lot.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Saucer Hovers posted:

nothings broken so i take your point. i just love it and want it to eventually envelop my bones.
There is wisteria growing around here on homesites abandoned in the early 20th century. It doesn't need your help. I was gonna say 'just don't accidentally spray it with herbicides' but tbh it wouldn't care.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wallet posted:

I'd be interested to see/hear how they work out for you when you get them. Do they make them in stake shape? I like poking the labels in the ground.
Yes they do and I've bought some before but I can't remember where. They have kind of a u-shaped wire stake thing. I used to use the wire-on ones on my roses and they held up well.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

eddiewalker posted:

What’s the best way to pick up “gum ball” spikeys? I have a lot and bribing the kids isn’t working.

Something likee on of these miiight work, but i dunno if the sweetgum balls will fit in there or no. The spikey bits might get caught on the wires?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Corona-MAX-48-in-QuickCOLLECTOR-Nut-Gatherer-with-Carbon-Steel-Handle-LG13695/314032777

Otherwise they are just kind of a fact of life of living under a sweetgum.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

unlimited shrimp posted:

If a t-post is listed online as "8 ft" is that the above-ground height or the total length of the post?

Total length

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SpartanIvy posted:

gently caress crape myrtles forever. They're a god drat cancer.

They are beautiful and I love them :colbert:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Given the small size of your yard and all the trees/cover around, I don't think you're going to solve your mosquito problem with landscaping. Mosquitos do best in still air, and that's probably a big part of your problem. With all the tree cover I doubt you get much of a breeze. E: you don't really have much plant cover to remove. I doubt a ton of mosquitos are hiding out in those scrawny little azaleas/

It's definitely possible there's a big mosquito breeding puddle under you deck or something. You might ask in the pest control thread for mosquito control/repellant options-I know there are some.

Do you want to do the rock garden primarily for the mosquitos, or do you just like that look? Whereabouts in the south are you, at least as far as USDA zone? What's your soil like? With all the hardwoods around I assume it is half decent.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I was gonna say it looks like your neighbor has a sharp mower blade and you have a dull one, but same guy cutting both rules that out. Have you fertilized? His has that almost blue kind of green that well fertilized vegetation has.

I know talking to other humans is not a goony thing to do, but have you considered asking your neighbor what he has/what he does?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The previous owner of my house let a grove of ailanthus get out of hand behind my workshop, to the point it was caving in the walls. I've taken out the ones that were literally growing into the roof but now I have to contend with this:

Power company says they won't touch it until it actually knocks down some lines, every arborist I've spoken to has noped out of the situation (can't blame em), but so long as it's up there it and the root system pushing into the shop are still growing. Any ideas how to take it down without setting my shop on fire/knocking out power for the entire neighborhood?
This is one of those classic homeowner problems where one swipe of preventative maintenance by the PO 20 years ago or 15 minutes of time any time in the first 10 years, could have saved you $5000. It sucks, but yeah, some tree guy, properly licensed and insured, arborist or not, with a crane can safely take that down chunk by chunk, assuming they can get the crane/bucket truck in close enough for access.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ubiquitus posted:

Can anyone give me the skinny on pre-emergent? Is it safe to use in areas I never expect to make a garden? My understanding is that it changes the ph of the soil, is that correct? Or is it some heinous concoction that’s the equivalent of salting the earth?

If it’s not the latter, are there any the thread recommends? Ty in advance!
I don't know about it changing the pH of the soil. Changing pH is usually pretty difficult to do without large quantities of Stuff. I think they just make seeds either fail to germinate or die rapidly after germination by stunting root growth. I've only used Preen on occasion ad haven't had any problems with it. I think it lasts 4 months or so? I don't think a pre-emergent is going to cause problems 6 months from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I like grass, it's fine. I don't want my whole yard to be grass, but I like grass. I don't do anything to my grass but weed and feed once in spring and mow it in the summer. If we have a real long dry spell I'll turn a sprinkler on it for an hour or two. It's pretty easy. I could skip the weed and feed and it would be fine too. Grass is pretty tough.