Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
One small thing that's bugging me are the speech balloon-polygons. He's been doing it since late January and their quality is noticeably worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Luckily rude ghosts also look like goblins so you know they're evil and it's okay to banish them.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It's so classically Deegan that she barely attempts to reason with him, so quick to go gently caress you Ghost Dad straight to oblivion with you.

I'm waiting to see the reaction of his family because they both clearly still had love and respect for him so while there are a bunch of ways this could go they all fall into the categories of "complicated", "nuanced" and "not expected from this webcomic".

rudecyrus posted:

One small thing that's bugging me are the speech balloon-polygons. He's been doing it since late January and their quality is noticeably worse.
I thought his hand lettering was genuinely decent and gave his comics their own character and don't know why he dropped it given he's been doing it for decades.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
My guess is laziness. Instead of drawing the entire thing, he can put down a few straight lines and then draw the tail

you can spot mistakes he's made if you look closely, like how the corner angles don't match, or the sides are different lengths, or it's slightly misaligned (Spookie's speech bubble in panel 3 has all of these issues)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

but if you're drawing digitally you can just use a shape...

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
admittedly I know almost nothing about digital art programs, but I bet he A. doesn't know about that feature or B. knows using a preset or custom shape means practicing how to use it and he's too lazy (the more likely option imho)

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Looking through the archive he was freedrawing oval speech bubbles at the start of January and switched to these weird octagon things in February, but there's a weird in-between phase at the end of January where it looks like he's freedrawing the octagons for a couple of pages. It looks like it was a deliberate style decision.

edit: here's one of the in-between stages for reference:

editx2: actually thinking it through it's probably because it's less effort to do a rectangle text box than fit an oval, of course it's this.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 20, 2024

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Yeah, you can tell when he switches bc the lines become almost ramrod straight and the curves become slants in some places. It's not too noticeable at first, but after two pages (literally) you can see him starting to take shortcuts, and by February 9th (a whole FIVE pages after switching) they've settled into their present shape

and he calls himself an artist

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Hell, look at the page directly before:

You can tell he drew the speech bubbles because the lines are a little wobbly and there are actual curves. The next updates look like a combination of freehand drawing and straight lines until they degraded to their current state

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Gosh that "crowd" scene. Like. I get it you don't wanna put 100% of your effort into every panel, sure. It isn't like it's your job, you just doodle for a hobby. It's fine to take shortcuts when you're just doing it for fun. But it's still pretty dire, every time I look at it it's like. Jeez.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Wait we have a non-zero chance of the dad's soul showing up in hell and Siggy dealing out his eternal punishment :aaa:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hey the stones were useful after all!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So, why should these people believe what the real spirit shepherd is telling them, rather than thinking that she's in on the scam as well?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Fister Roboto posted:

So, why should these people believe what the real spirit shepherd is telling them, rather than thinking that she's in on the scam as well?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only thing she has is her word and the ghost she carried outside and destroyed all traces of. She'll be fine. :v

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Mookie knows Spookie is legit and so...

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Fister Roboto posted:

She spoke in the dad's voice when he possessed her. Also he was a douche and spoke as such during that, versus scammer being all "he forgives you" so I think that's okay.

The rest though is trash. Ending in a silly punchline to undercut abuse, wakka wakka!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Can't help but note that the brother makes it about himself and how sad he is he didn't notice his sister being miserable. And that's not even getting into how gross it it that abuse victim doesn't even get to say anything about what she just experienced. Or how she's used to deliver a "haha wimmin be hysterical amirite?" punchline.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I cast thrown rock of healing.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Merrill's the only one with a genuine human reaction to what happened, all the rest are typical Deegan assholes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hippocrass posted:

Mookie knows Spookie is legit and so...

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Should I use a reference of what someone looks like when they're throwing an object? Nah.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

im glad the situation is resolved so the brother doesn't have to reflect on how he defaults to violence to gain control over a situation, and how it parallels with their dad's increasing abuse of his sister to assert control over her

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Obnoxipus posted:

Should I use a reference of what someone looks like when they're throwing an object? Nah.

What is happening to her face :pwn:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Why isn’t this the end? What else could possibly happen?

Basically, every time the shepherd meets any resistance, she deals with it effectively. That’s not a story!

Mookie’s writings feel like a fleshed out plot synopsis.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Obnoxipus posted:

Classic tsukommi animation pose.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Why isn’t this the end? What else could possibly happen?

Basically, every time the shepherd meets any resistance, she deals with it effectively. That’s not a story!

Mookie’s writings feel like a fleshed out plot synopsis.

Stories must always end on a Friday

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

what's wrong with your faaaaace(s)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Flip them upside down, they might look better

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

rudecyrus posted:

what's wrong with your faaaaace(s)

So many wizard hats.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

y-you cant just post ahegao faces

-not without consequences.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Pyrotoad posted:

So many wizard hats.

they don't even look like wizard hats to me -- more like clam shells

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh I hate it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Synthbuttrange posted:

If I was forced to go out in public wearing either this or the original, I would choose the original every time.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
hey

HEY

people who live in ghast houses shouldn't throw stones

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
He gets worse at drawing women every page, somehow.