Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Grouchio posted:

Were the sudden cuts to fanservice in the middle of a fight also less out-of-place, though? (You'd expect that in ecchi action anime not this. Unless this is ecchi action.)

The Anime has handled Tamaki's lucky lewd stuff significantly better than the manga where It can be absurdly out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dexo posted:

The Anime has handled Tamaki's lucky lewd stuff significantly better than the manga where It can be absurdly out of place.

Oh jesus :stare:. I have questions, but I don't think I really want answers.

Clitch posted:

I think we know where last week's budget went.

Yeah, that was a hell of a fight. It's one of those episodes where you don't realize it's been the full 20-odd minutes until it's over because you're watching every second of it :suspense:.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

It's got better about it recently but the bulk of Tamaki showing up in the manga is 'oh haha whoops aw jeez I slipped and fell rear end and tits first on someone and now my uniform's come off, kyaa~~~'

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah the Anime is doing a far better job with Tamaki lol

Also time to play guess the Evil Captains.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Today's episode felt like Yuru Camp. Warm and fuzzy. :3:

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The scenes where people just...not have any faces at all creep me the gently caress out

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
that scene where joker is talking to shinra feels almost too shaft it's hilarious. also is this the first instance of airpods in an anime

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
BYE

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017

UnfurledSails posted:

The scenes where people just...not have any faces at all creep me the gently caress out

I noticed that as well. Right after the meeting in the big church. Though it didn't creep me out so much as make me wonder if they ran out of time to finish up the scene and give everyone eyes. Then again, the mouths were present and nothing else in the episode really screamed 'unfinished' at me, so maybe it was just a really weird stylistic choice.

With how the big powerplant is talked up and considering the themes so far, I'm giving it 50/50 odds that the super-duper powerplant is actually little more than a giant heap of burning people tossed into a furnace...while alive. Bonus points if the whole bug-thing is a government plot to increase access to fossil fuels.

As for who the evil captain is, let's see. I'm sure I'll miss some because not everyone made an impression. (Gonna spoiler these just in case.)

Eye-patch man from the 1st Totally guilty. I'm giving his subordinate with the ice-tuba a pass, but the big boss has been throwing flags left and right. As the first responder on the scene, he'd be the one most capable of either disappearing Shinra's baby brother or at least noticing the lack of corpses. And he's the one best placed to find who among his subordinates can be converted to the doom-cult's cause. If he isn't, then I'm just going to declare him incompetent or uncaring.

shiny-headed bald guy I like his mustache. So he's clean.

Plague-masked person 50/50. His/her uniform is definitely the one most suited for concealing a microphone and he/she's definitely in league with the big corp who have a vested interest in ensuring that the problem of people spontaneously combusting persists and with it the need for their goods. But while it means he/she'll half-rear end any investigation into the problem, it doesn't necessarily mean he/she's in league with the religious doom-cult. After all, if everyone is dead, who is left to buy your stuff?

The guy with the scars who fell asleep Another unknown. I see 3 possibilities for him.
1: He is a useless but harmless goof who should have retired years ago but was kept on because he probably was a major badass in the past (see scars) and his subordinates don't have the heart to shuffle him off to a retirement home.
2: He is a mostly useless and harmless goof but at some point he'll wake up and show that he's still a major badass and on the right side.
3: He's a total villain who hides behind the mask of an old guy who can't stay awake.

Princess She's clean. We've had her background and she got the evil punched out of her. The only thing I suspect her of at this point is having a touch of masochism to go with her sadism. Her research may have been unethical, but I haven't seen signs that she went out to create test subjects as opposed to swooping in and snatching any that happened otherwise.

The other woman captain She left no impression whatsoever to the point I can't even remember if she had any lines. So probably clean if only because narratively speaking, the traitor must be someone who is known by the audience if only to keep the twist shocking.

The guy that walked out Too much of a renegade to be the traitor. The real traitor would want to be in a position to keep tabs on the non-traitor's investigations to know how close they're getting and what loose ends need to be removed.

The mighty captain of the 8th Clean, cleaner than a white shirt after a commercial. If he turns out to be the traitor, then I will honestly be totally shocked.

I think that's everyone, not counting the possibility that some of the pope's staff may be in on the doom-cult's side.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dudermcbrohan posted:

that scene where joker is talking to shinra feels almost too shaft it's hilarious. also is this the first instance of airpods in an anime
I first saw airpods on a bus ride this tuesday, it's like they popped outta nowhere

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Pope is going turn out to be evil, yeah?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

When has any pope ever not been evil?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

But which evil side? There's two villain groups that already seem to be at cross purposes with each other or at least don't have goals that align and there's likely other ones that are possible to be built up or otherwise revealed that could also act as antagonists but also against the Evangelist and others.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Remember that a pope was spiteful enough to dig up his predecessor's predecessor to give him a trial after death to nullify his papacy. Popes are loving dickheads.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Remember that a pope was spiteful enough to dig up his predecessor's predecessor to give him a trial after death to nullify his papacy. Popes are loving dickheads.
They wear giant dicks on their heads, yes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Baptizing a gun? :psyduck:

Also show is break for two weeks

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1175114955315666946

Edit: shouldn't have posted without watching the rest of the episode now I feel bad.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 21, 2019

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Shouldn't it be easier for someone who can manipulate and generate flames to NOT destroy half the neighborhood? Seems like he's doing it on purpose really

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Shouldn't it be easier for someone who can manipulate and generate flames to NOT destroy half the neighborhood? Seems like he's doing it on purpose really

Are you being sarcastic? He was doing it on purpose.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Get a load of this joke getter over here

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dexo posted:

Yeah, what is with that?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's like with Shueisha and Weekly Young Jump (I can't believe Kaguya-sama has taught me about silly censorship stuff) that they have the 4-page rule about lewd content or something, so Okubo just goes ham with it?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Maybe it's like with Shueisha and Weekly Young Jump (I can't believe Kaguya-sama has taught me about silly censorship stuff) that they have the 4-page rule about lewd content or something, so Okubo just goes ham with it?
Does that apply per chapter or per series?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know if you can blame putting fanservice in the manga on Okubo or the publisher but I'm pretty sure the fanservice that comes in at what should be an emotional important character growth moment and takes a huge dump all over it is 100% Okubo.

I haven't read the manga but everything since Tamaki's shown up has been a slow downward spiral and I'm just begging for the awful attempts at sex comedy to end

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

lmao, Remember how the Anime actually had some of her clothes remain on her.

Yeaaaaaaaaah....

probably shouldn't open this at work I suppose...

I legit like this series and it's style and characters and generally it's story and powers, but Tamaki is a glaring weakpoint that I've internalized to the point of just like rolling my eyes

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 23, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lol, hell. What they did go with already undercut the moment quite a lot, that's just...why.

Like imagine if Oda had contrived to put Robin in her underwear for "I WANNA LIVE".

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

lol, hell. What they did go with already undercut the moment quite a lot, that's just...why.

Like imagine if Oda had contrived to put Robin in her underwear for "I WANNA LIVE".

yeah, I'm generally fine with the idea of having a character who has a quirk of inappropriate fanservice bait character during moments of downtime. The Maid apron gag with Maki's reaction to it happening despite putting the apron over her jumpsuit was funny enough. but in serious moments it's wildly out of place.

But then again I guess that's just how Okubo writes the series in general, where the characters gag quirks interfere and show up within the serious moments all the time.

But only Tamaki's gag quirk is like so utterly ridiculous and gross

It's depressing, because in soul eater and the like Okubo is p good at writing woman characters. It's just man Tamaki's concept is just kinda gross when you want to use these gags in what are otherwise serious moments.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dexo posted:

yeah, I'm generally fine with the idea of having a character who has a quirk of inappropriate fanservice bait character during moments of downtime. The Maid apron gag with Maki's reaction to it happening despite putting the apron over her jumpsuit was funny enough. but in serious moments it's wildly out of place.

But then again I guess that's just how Okubo writes the series in general, where the characters gag quirks interfere and show up within the serious moments all the time.

It's depressing, because in soul eater and the like Okubo is p good at writing woman characters. It's just man Tamaki's concept is just kinda gross when you want to use these gags in what are otherwise serious moments.
Reminder: Blame Hiro Mashima for the out of place fanservice. He is a criminal against plot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Reminder: Blame Hiro Mashima for the out of place fanservice. He is a criminal against plot.

I enjoyed Rave Master immensely.

Fairy Tail less so.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I'm enjoying the show some... half dozen episodes in, having gotten to the fight between 8 and 5. It almost feels like it moves to fast, though? Which is a rare criticism for shonen battle, true, but I'm still not really sure I know any of the characters except Shinra beyond their name, powers and maybe a weird quirk.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dexo posted:

Is there a single female character in this show without some sort of weird baggage?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Is there a single female character in this show without some sort of weird baggage?

Maki, and Iris seem cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Maki, and Iris seem cool.

Maki was stuck in her successful father's shadow, and all Iris' friends burned to death from self-combustion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm torn on Maki. I like her, and I like they actually give her muscle definition but it's a shame that's also the gag with hur hur ogre.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I'm torn on Maki. I like her, and I like they actually give her muscle definition but it's a shame that's also the gag with hur hur ogre.

The only person who does the orge thing with her is Arthur. And he's an idiot.

Every one else just thinks of her as cool and beautiful.

Also that's kept to gag moments. Maki is absurdly competent. And the show always portrays her as such. With just maybe a bit of Self Image issues.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Maki was stuck in her successful father's shadow, and all Iris' friends burned to death from self-combustion.

I don't think those are "weird baggage"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dexo posted:

Also that's kept to gag moments. Maki is absurdly competent. And the show always portrays her as such. With just maybe a bit of Self Image issues.

The only thing she does that might be considered improper is breaking out her little fire buddies for fun, and even then they're clearly fully under her control.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dexo posted:

That's cool. It's early yet and you never know for sure how this stuff goes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The first BD only sold 100 copies jesus :wtc:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

If you dig through the comments apparently the reason the manga trends so highly is because they made the first three volumes free. I'd be curious to see if it does any better in the west, because it certainly seems to be getting some convention presence in Australia at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wait people actually care that much about this poo poo? Lmao