Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Watch this movie with as few spoilers as possible. It was a hell of a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Had no idea they were going to do a fakeout at the end and it came as a touching and serious relief that the night goes the other way.

Was also glad to see this situation not repeat itself:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Goddamn this was good. Complain if you must about the pace of the film overall, but Tarantino is the absolute master of pacing individual scenes. The moment in the climax when Pitt's character signals the dog and poo poo IS ON is tension-release on goddamned supernatural level.

KidDynamite posted:

drat kind of wish I had gone in blind because the trailer I saw didn't show any of the Manson stuff. Would have been a real shock. I thought it was Tarantino doing Oscar bait by making an "old hollywood" movie.

I re-listened to the entire You Must Remember This season about the Manson murders in anticipation of this, and I if you can do the same I highly recommend it. The more you know about the history, the more compelling the whole movie is. Being able to take the "I'm the devil here to do the devil's work" line Tex Watson says that he actually said during the real murder and calling it out for being some hack bullshit was splendid.

BiggerBoat posted:

Will there be feet in this movie?

Tarantino knows that we all know about his foot thing, and at this point he's just trolling us.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

stratofarius posted:

Uh, no. This does not happen. You can click on it, it literally does not happen.

must have been changed from the cannes screening, or the person who told me was themselves working off secondhand info

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

R. Guyovich posted:

must have been changed from the cannes screening, or the person who told me was themselves working off secondhand info

They were very likely going off second-hand information. Tate does have a brief flashback to getting trained by Bruce Lee, but it was in a scene completely un-related to the murders and was apparently something that actually happened in real life.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

There were a whole bunch of fake spoilers going around. I was bummed cuz I accidentally read some other spoilers about the ending but they turned out to be completely untrue.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The feet in this movie were all really gross and dirty, which I wonder if that’s for accuracy or if Tarantino is just naysty

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dishwasher posted:

One of the fake names Brad Pitt's crew gives the Nazi general at the dinner in Inglorious Basterds was "Antonio Magaretti", one of the directors of Leo's films in Italy. Shiiit, maybe he's already doing that.

Noticed that, although that was the Eli Roth one, who died I believe.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

General Dog posted:

Noticed that, although that was the Eli Roth one, who died I believe.

Yeah, Pitt was Gorelammy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

The feet in this movie were all really gross and dirty, which I wonder if that’s for accuracy or if Tarantino is just naysty

They’re hippies

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I want to see the entirety of that Leo/Olyphant western.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I thought this was QT's most stylistically restrained yet thematically indulgent movie, if that makes sense. The length and pacing weren't issues for me, he's much more interested in immersing you in the 60s and most his cinematic flourishes are contained within the movies shown in the film instead of the overall film itself (with some exceptions, I don't think he can help himself). The Bruce Lee actor was spot on.

I left as the credits rolled but apparently there were post credit sequences, can someone describe??

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cacator posted:

The Bruce Lee actor was spot on.

There's an entire cottage industry of Bruce Lee impersonators, always a fun thing to throw in your movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Cacator posted:

I thought this was QT's most stylistically restrained yet thematically indulgent movie, if that makes sense. The length and pacing weren't issues for me, he's much more interested in immersing you in the 60s and most his cinematic flourishes are contained within the movies shown in the film instead of the overall film itself (with some exceptions, I don't think he can help himself). The Bruce Lee actor was spot on.

I left as the credits rolled but apparently there were post credit sequences, can someone describe??

Apparently it’s just Rick Dalton doing an ad for Red Apple cigarettes

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Apparently it’s just Rick Dalton doing an ad for Red Apple cigarettes

Correct. They also play some vintage radio ads and stuff over the rest of the credits which is pretty fun.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I feel like the pacing was fine unless all you watch is marvel movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

I feel like the pacing was fine unless all you watch is marvel movies.

I dunno, the stuff with Leo’s bad guy western dragged on a bit and the Sharon Tate stuff didn’t feel all that well integrated into the movie at all.

Better paced than Hateful Eight though

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno, the stuff with Leo’s bad guy western dragged on a bit and the Sharon Tate stuff didn’t feel all that well integrated into the movie at all.

I mean, the entire Tate-at-the-movies scenes were a direct emotional parallel of the Dalton on the Western set scenes. They were both exploring a performer’s desire for approval, the peril that is felt when that approval is lacking, and the elation when that approval is received.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, the entire Tate-at-the-movies scenes were a direct emotional parallel of the Dalton on the Western set scenes. They were both exploring a performer’s desire for approval, the peril that is felt when that approval is lacking, and the elation when that approval is received.

duh, though

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Maybe not a coincidence that those were the two big scenes I thought went on too long then

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Been thinking about the movie all day today at work. May go rewatch it this weekend. gently caress man it was good

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I get the feeling a lot of people are going to call this boring. I loved it, felt like Tarantino's Dazed and Confused a bit.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Fuckin loved it and also spending all day at work like :swoon: Wound up getting into a little bit of a Manson Family k-hole and will definitely consume more material around that.

The length and pacing are fine, I went to a midnight screening and felt fully engaged throughout and I'm an aging bitch-rear end who can't hang. Was totally convinced I'd conk out within 30 min but stayed up and had a blast. That's even with the temporary poo poo-show of the midnight Arclight Dome 70mm presentation cutting off during the Luke Perry filming scene and we all just sat in a dark rear end auditorium for like 20 minutes before they switched over to a digital showing and skipped back about 10 minutes into the movie. Didn't get out of the theater until 3:30

ANYWAY some spoilery plot poo poo about the Family: I went in fairly blind and also don't really know that much about the Manson gang/murders/etc. I was expecting there to be a much deeper dive into Manson himself or some darker, violent stuff regarding the family. Was a little surprised when the killers turned out to be blundering morons in the end, but it felt like a nice parallel to the klan scene in Django.

Cliff Booth is instantly among the ranks of top movie badasses and dear god the flamethrower was just beautiful.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Man, so glad I got there before I knew anything about the movie. This will have a Blair Witch Project level of :rolleyes: from audiences once the ending spoilers start showing up in memes.

I also couldn’t disagree more about the Sharon Tate scenes. For me, they are building a familiarity and closeness between her and the audience, and ratcheting up the dread in case Tarantino went with a factual ending. She was such a hauntingly beautiful woman and an actress we all want to know more about, but her inner life is lost forever.

Great movie. It’s my favorite Tarantino.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

A sight gag I thought was funny that I haven't seen anyone else mention: The cans of dog food are rat and raccoon flavoured

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That dog was a very good dog.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cacator posted:

A sight gag I thought was funny that I haven't seen anyone else mention: The cans of dog food are rat and raccoon flavoured

I couldn’t tell if that was a bit or some weird thing that actually existed that Tarantino was referencing.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 26, 2019

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Movie was real good.

Best I've seen in a while. I hate superhero stuff and thought 2018 was like the weakest year for film in my lifetime so it kinda wins by default.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this is in re: once upon a time in hollywood. lmao. spoiler culture is a disease

https://twitter.com/tvoti/status/1154808360362889216

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
I love Tarantino but I found it really hard to get absorbed into this movie without a traditional plot. There were amazing scenes but it was hard to know what was important and what wasn’t.

Wouldn’t the story be the same if Sharon Tate didn’t utter a word? What was the point of getting to know her?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I felt like the Sharon Tate scenes were almost like a horror film. Whenever I saw her on screen, particularly being happy, I visibly cringed, because I just worried about later. When I saw her pregnant, I audibly exclaimed "Oh God, no." All of which just made the twist even better for me.
If I had one problem with the film, it was probably the almost worshipful way the movie seemed to portray Hollywood, which just felt kind of self aggrandizing. That said, I honestly loved it much more than I expected.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

LanceHunter posted:

So many people are not going to get this and it will drive me nuts. This wasnt exactly high art subtlety.

Anyhow, this movie was a great ride. The trailers beforehand were J-Lo on a stripper pole, Star Wars, and Will Smith fighting Will Smith. Kinda made me laugh howTarantino is among the most interesting living mainstream directors. I mean, he's talented, but too bad it has to be that way.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really liked how listless the lives of the main leads were despite the very different places they're in: actor on the rise, hasbeen journeyman, gently caress up surviving off of the kindness of a friend, and cult member. Despite it mostly being in February, life just feels like one big summer vacation. The time skip just makes day to day life seem more nebulous as August is completely indistinguishable from February. Time has a really ethereal nature to it in the film's Hollywood and adults are fundamentally kids playing make-believe. It's contrasted greatly with the way things go into superspeed once Dalton goes to Italy.

The foot fetishization is on full-force to the point where a disembodied foot directing Pitt's character where to go had to have been Tarantino knowing exactly what he was doing. Similarly, the girl who convinces them to kill Dalton instead of Tate really sounded like the 90s parody of Tarantino that you would see in stuff like The Simpsons.

It was interesting seeing it with my wife who had no context for the Manson Murders.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Similarly, the girl who convinces them to kill Dalton instead of Tate really sounded like the 90s parody of Tarantino that you would see in stuff like The Simpsons.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I forgot my favorite part: Rick Dalton on the cover of Mad Magazine

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Tons of little details like that.

Also fine girl Brandy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I liked it a lot. It was definitely a lazy hangout movie for most of its runtime, but swapping between the characters' stories and keeping individual scenes (relatively) brief helped it feel less languid than Basterds or Hateful Eight did.

General Dog posted:

I want to see the entirety of that Leo/Olyphant western.

On his press tour for the movie QT has said he's written like half a dozen scripts for the western TV shows we see Dalton in throughout the film. He openly asked Netflix/HBO/FX/somebody to produce them - though he also said that getting Leo to do TV isn't going to happen, even if it's a limited series.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Anyhow, this movie was a great ride. The trailers beforehand were J-Lo on a stripper pole, Star Wars, and Will Smith fighting Will Smith.

We got a trailer for the Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers movie that was all sentiment and goodness and hope and other treacle, before immediately going into the J-Lo "strippers rob Wall Street" one. It was some tonal whiplash, I tell you.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm a huge Tarantino fan but not a movie snob in general. I left feeling disappointed and I can't exactly put my finger on why. The movie just felt different and like it was lacking some Tarantino quality. I think part of it was the story and that it just didn't grab me the way his other movies did. Beyond that, the tone and feel of the movie was off. It just didn't watch like a QT picture. I could sit down any night and enjoy Django or Reservoir Dogs but this feels like a once every few years kind of movie.

Did anyone else notice a lot more laughs than a typical Tarantino movie? That just plays in to the tone mismatch I was feeling.

Lots of references to other Tarantino movies, though. They ate at a Vega restaurant, someone was moving to Taluca Lake, the back of the ambulance said Shaffer, Red Apple cigarettes, Antonio Margaretti, and one or two others that I forgot already.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Great movie. I wish we could get more modern films that get the chance to breathe and really flesh themselves out in way this one does. The naturalistic acting and pacing are very refreshing. as a result, it did not feel nearly as long as it actually is.

One thing I was wondering during the end:
I'm curious to know of Tarantino's intent during some of the scene of the Manson people getting their asses handed to them. The tension has been slowly building for most of the movie and we are increasingly dreading the possibility that this film is going to end historically accurately. And wondering will it be as bloody / gory as some of Tarantino's other work? But then the tables are cathartically turned, and the Manson hippies just get absolutely savaged. But it keeps going and going, the dog chewing the guys nuts just completely off, the girl screaming as Cliff is brutally smashing her head over and over again, bursting through the glass, and her open wounds burning with chlorine, etc. We as an audience have been dreading the violence towards the innocent, but instead it is dished out on the hippies, and justifiably so considering their intentions (and what happened in real life). But the level it goes to makes me feel like there is some kind of statement being made on audience bloodlust, how we can be disgusted by graphic violence in one context yet applaud it in another. Do you think it was supposed to be 100% cathartic? Rick getting out the flamethrower was undoubtedly insanely funny in any case.

I think the epilogue after all that stuff was handled beautifully. Rick hears the voice of Sharon Tate through the radio, inviting him to their house. We get that close-up of the gates opening in a metaphor of their ascension into Heaven / Hollywood Myth. The overhead, detached viewpoint of the last scene of dialogue between them and her friends with the music alternating between peaceful and unsettling is really effective. We're thinking about the happy ending the characters in the film are getting and contrasting that with what actually did go down. And the title coming up, initially only as "Once Upon a Time..." before "In Hollywood" appears is so bittersweet.

I would want to see it again before giving it a hard ranking in the Tarantino filmography but it is definitely in his top 5 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
My buddy and I saw this a few hours ago and discussed it over drinks. Our consensus was the following: it was a well-made film that didn't seem to have any purpose or vision driving it. It was a "love letter" to 60s Hollywood, but in a way that didn't really say anything interesting. You could point to any scene and I would tell you it was well-crafted, well-acted, generally well-written, and oftentimes tense in that classic QT style. But as whole, it's less than the sum of its parts. I really felt the length, especially after the 5th scene of someone driving through LA listening to classic rock.

Spoilers: the ending "twist" was funny and enjoyable as a slapstick action set-piece like when Inglourious Basterds killed off Hitler, but for me it really wasted Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate. I felt like the film completely abandoned her character after paying the barest lip service to her thematic juxtaposition as rising star against Rick Dalton's aging decline. I was really excited to see Sharon Tate get elevated from famous victim to human being but the film really didn't care much about her.

Again, a very well-made film from a technique standpoint, but my esteem for Tarantino is at a low point after this. His cool doesn't feel cool anymore and not only is he doing things he already did better a decade ago, he's doing things other people are doing better right now. I know his shtick has always been "10 movies and I'm done" but OUATIH makes me want to ask: "Do you even have anything interesting to say in a tenth movie?" If his swan song is going to be more of this, I don't think he should bother?