Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

beanieson posted:

he killed her

He didn't kill her, and misses her, so he orders her drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

beanieson posted:

he killed her

It just seems a little on the nose, idk

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Things I want to see in the 4 hour cut:

-full episode of Bounty Law
-Tim Roth’s cut scene
-longer scene with Clu Gulager
-more James Remar and Cliff Collins in the Lancer pilot

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Netflix has an almost four hour cut of Hateful Eight divided into four episodes that I found quite enjoyable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Open Marriage Night posted:

Netflix has an almost four hour cut of Hateful Eight divided into four episodes that I found quite enjoyable.

I've been meaning to watch that. What portion of the movie did he add the most to? Or were the additions mostly evenly distributed throughout?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I can’t really tell you. I’ve only ever seen the roadshow cut at the theater. Supposedly this uses footage from the theatrical, roadshow, and takes that weren’t used in either. There were scenes that seemed a little different to me, but I can’t really recall anything that seemed like it was crammed in where it wasn’t before.

I’m sure a more astute cinephile has done a detailed breakdown of the differences between the three versions of the film is out there, but I’m not that observant.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

I can’t really tell you. I’ve only ever seen the roadshow cut at the theater. Supposedly this uses footage from the theatrical, roadshow, and takes that weren’t used in either. There were scenes that seemed a little different to me, but I can’t really recall anything that seemed like it was crammed in where it wasn’t before.

I’m sure a more astute cinephile has done a detailed breakdown of the differences between the three versions of the film is out there, but I’m not that observant.
Oh they have.

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4

Sadly, this only compares the miniseries against the wide release, not the roadshow cut.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

That roadshow was so fuckin cool. I wish studios would do that a little more often to make going to a movie feel like more of an event.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vince MechMahon posted:

He didn't kill her, and misses her, so he orders her drink.
He killed her, but misses her.

pwn posted:

Oh they have.

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4

Sadly, this only compares the miniseries against the wide release, not the roadshow cut.
I had no idea they did this, they never did a roadshow here so that's something I'll have to check out. Definitely not reading those comparisons though, it'll be easier to just watch the drat thing myself.

E: sign me up for the 4-hour Once Upon... too

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 12, 2020

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jose Oquendo posted:

That roadshow was so fuckin cool. I wish studios would do that a little more often to make going to a movie feel like more of an event.

I went to the 70mm roadshow at a local theater, and the projector bulb died literally right after Channing Tatum popped his head out of the basement. The audio, however, didn't stop. We knew something happened, and it was pretty easy to guess what, but it was a bum moment to end the experience.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

loving same. The program, the intermission, and actual film stock made going to the theater feel like an event. I know it wasn’t the most well received Tarantino film, but the presentation of the roadshow made it something truly special.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Finally saw this. I thought it was alright. The buddy stuff was fun, but there was a little too much old Hollywood navel gazing.

Rolling with Tarantino’s Red Apple universe, I’m wondering if Rick Dalton’s Nazi movie was the in-universe movie about the Inglourious Basterds event. I guess Hitler would have gotten roasted too, unless that would have been too on the nose.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Had a free FandangoNow credit and thought I'd use this to waste the day with.

Really, really slavish attention to Hollywood What Was and it was amazing seeing little bits of LA history here and there. I used to drive by the Van Nuys Drive In to see relatives and watching it up there in its heyday (when the area was just empty) was a nice trip.
I enjoyed DeCaprio's story as a washed-up actor coming to terms with the opportunities that were just beyond his reach and the withering away of his future potential. There's a lot of anxiety there that's wonderful to see. And Pitt's chill, unattached bro is the perfect Pre-Kato Kaelin layabout. I liked how their circumstances were similar but the reactions to what they were dealt were different.

Something that really took my attention was the part where Leo meets the Lancer guy and there's what feels like jump cuts (as if footage were spliced out or missed) as they interact. Nice way to remind people that this is just a fairytale.

Chappers posted:

Bruce Lee and Cliff looked like two adult boys caught by their mom roughhousing at the end of the fight.
That a woman chews them out and deflates the whole macho showdown thing is pretty sweet, tbh.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 22, 2020

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Huh, I didn't know this was a thing. Now I need to look it up

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Apparently, we almost got Macaulay Caulkin in the move

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a30783321/macaulay-culkin-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-quentin-tarantino-audition/

Apologies if it was already posted

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I could see him changing Brad Pitt’s tire with a bloody nose.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i didnt like it at all

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Lol Quentin, ya swindled me! Damon's Charlie was barely in this :argh: I guess I gotta move mindhunter 2 up the list

I enjoyed this, but was a little disappointed too. There are lots of great scenes, but it's very meandering. Would make a good double feature with Hail Caesar

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

i didnt like it at all

ok

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

jackie brown is still tarantinos best movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

The older I get the more and more I agree with this.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

fart simpson posted:

The slow camera crane tracking the car as it drives around into the car park before opening the trunk and shooting the guy is an excellent shot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Finally watched it. I think it was exceptional, probably in the top four of Tarantino's films, though I'll have to wait and see how I feel about it to determine exactly where in the top 4 it ought to go. It might be his best since Pulp Fiction, it gave me the same kind of feeling in terms of being essentially plotless but it added in a really interesting weaving of fantasy and reality, which gave it a great sense of tension.

Visually, I think it was just amazing. I see a lot of films now where this is not necessarily the case -- they're competently made, but they look like real life, whereas I think this film made things look better, somehow more engaging, than reality itself. The only recent thing I've seen that I could compare it to is The New Pope, there's the same sense that in watching the film you are experiencing a version of the story that's better than what you would see if you were actually there as these events were happening.

Most of all, I know this will be a film I watch again and again, and I haven't really felt that way about a Tarantino film since Kill Bill. That's not necessarily an indication that a film is good or bad, there's plenty of excellent films I only watch one time, and plenty of lovely ones I'll rewatch quite a bit, but it is somewhat refreshing after Tarantino's more recent exhausting experiences.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I have so many thoughts about this excellent film but just want to share a couple:

This is a movie that really rewards you for knowing your poo poo. The more you know about Tate, Manson, Hollywood history, movies, and Tarantino himself the more enjoyable it is. It’s not subtle about it’s themes or doing puzzle box poo poo but it’s really really layered.

poo poo like the acid cigarette, the dubious Bruce Lee fight. Nerds arguing about realism or historical accuracy are just missing the point and being literalists. Quentin Tarantino knows you can’t smoke LSD and he knows that you know. He also knows cigarettes and smoking look cool in movies.

There’s no factual answer for if Brad Pitt beat you Bruce Lee or if he killed himself or not. That’s not important. The fact it might be “factual” is maybe more important. He remembers the funny story to get by. His memory is missing a reel about his wife.

The whole movie is about stories, acting, roles and the magic of movies. It’s about the unreality of movies and Hollywood, and telling stories to make things better.

The “real” story of history is a crime and movies are the closest we have to a way to travel back in time and kill Hitler. The movie is largely about the magic trick it’s going to pull in the end.

History and reality are the driving force of dread. If you know about Sharon Tate the ending looms and this thing you’re afraid of, and the climax provides catharsis against HISTORY ITSELF and it’s not real, everyone knows that, but movies are MAGIC so it’s a story we can watch, just like we could have watched the same story in a different movie with the real ending.

Quentin himself is also the looming threat. If you’ve seen his movies and know about Sharon Tate it’s not just the dread of her murder, it’s the dread of what Quentin loving Tarantino: the boy who loves flashy violence is going to do with this brutal murder of this sweet, super pregnant lady. It ties in perfectly with the themes of the relationship of movies to history.

I loved it.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Also if you don’t know about Charles loving Manson that may not necessarily be your fault exactly, but the movie expects you too and if you don’t oh well, that’s too bad for you and not the film’s fault. Art is allowed to expect things from its audience, and knowing even a little about Charles loving Manson is a pretty reasonable request.

I imagine a lot of the folks mad about it also do the whinny “satire requires a clarity of purpose” spiel because they’re still embarrassed they missed the joke in Starship Troopers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Took me ages to get around to watching the movie, but in the end I'm glad I did. My favourite Tarantino movie in ages, and probably one of my favourites in general.

Initially the movie started rubbing me the wrong way when it felt like Tarantino cranking it to his library and extensive knowledge of early 60s TV shows, but about 15 minutes in to the movie I realized it was all creating a wonderful sense of time and place, and once I kind of eased into the movie more that sense just deepened. They must've done a ton of work to make the world feel like such a lived in place. I absolutely loved the long scenes that just let us take in the world, go along with Brad Pitt on a car ride, watch him feed his dog, watch Leo learning his lines while floating in his pool.

And the ending. Oh boy, the ending. I did not see it coming and was pretty much laughing hysterically from the moment Cliff Booth sicks Brandy on Tex. And jesus christ the tension leading up to that moment! From when Kurt Russell(?) starts the true crime style narration of the events leading up to the night of the real world Tate murder, I was on the edge of my seat, and during the final confrontation at the Dalton house... Jesus.

After the movie the more I thought about it, the more it felt almost kind of self-biographical, in a way. It wouldn't be a huge stretch to say that a certain kind of movie making is dying or has already died, with the box office being full of Marvel movies, CGI movies and remakes, which kind of echoes the very drastic changes Hollywood is undergoing in the movie.

What's more, Tarantino is one of the very few holdouts who keeps taking these actors that are viewed as being past it or have had their troubles in the past, and giving them proper meaty acting roles, and getting great results out of them, which is of course directly mirrored with Rick Dalton getting that exact experience on Lancer with a very Tarantino-esque director. It almost feels like him looking at the rest of Hollywood and saying "there's nothing stopping you from doing the same, you know".

In any case I really hope Tarantino keeps making movies for a long time yet, because even though I sure as hell haven't loved all of his movies, they are all definitely unique experiences and when he hits, he knocks it out of the park like nobody else can.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 24, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

What's more, Tarantino is one of the very few holdouts who keeps taking these actors that are viewed as being past it or have had their troubles in the past, and giving them proper meaty acting roles, and getting great results out of them, which is of course directly mirrored with Rick Dalton getting that exact experience on Lancer with a very Tarantino-esque director. It almost feels like him looking at the rest of Hollywood and saying "there's nothing stopping you from doing the same, you know".

In any case I really hope Tarantino keeps making movies for a long time yet, because even though I sure as hell haven't loved all of his movies, they are all definitely unique experiences and when he hits, he knocks it out of the park like nobody else can.
Who thinks Leonardo di'Caprio and Brad Bitt are passed it?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

John Travolta was considered box office poison when Tarantino cast him in Pulp Fiction. Pam Grier wasn't exactly lighting up the box offices when he cast her in Jackie Brown either.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that poo poo came out 25 years ago

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Well he did put Luke Perry in this one, too bad he wasn’t around long enough to enjoy any attention it may have brought him.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Robert Forster in JB was an inspired choice too. And Carradine was largely relegated to DTV trash before (and after) Kill Bill, which was the first real showcase for his talent in over 20 years. Even Kurt Russel had just been doing the occasional kids flick or inspirational movie in the few years preceding Death Proof.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Alhazred posted:

John Travolta was considered box office poison when Tarantino cast him in Pulp Fiction. Pam Grier wasn't exactly lighting up the box offices when he cast her in Jackie Brown either.

Yeah, but I thought you were talking about the actors in this movie.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I for one can't wait to see what Lena Dunham does next, after her Tarantino career revitalization!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Another Bill posted:

I for one can't wait to see what Lena Dunham does next, after her Tarantino career revitalization!

I hear Brad Pitt is going places.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

give leonardo his [second] oscar (tarantino movie this time)!!!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Travesty that Brad Pitt never got an acting one.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Finally got around to watching this a few days ago. I only know the basics of the Tate story but that final shot has stayed with me. It makes me emotional even now, what a great film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Charlz Guybon posted:

They're not People's Sexist Man Alive anymore, both are certainly viewed as being past their prime. Especially Pitt, I think. A lot of people under 30 don't know or care about him, I'm sure.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Leo won an Oscar like four years ago after years of people screaming "Where's Leo's Oscar!?" Brad Pitt just won one for this movie!

I don't get where you think they're past their prime or that younger people don't know who they are. That just feels absurdly presumptive. Do young people not know who Tom Hanks or George Clooney or Tom Cruise are because they're getting older?

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I really want to see Tom Cruise in a Tarantino film.

We have one chance left, possibly.