Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I just remembered the scene where Rick and Cliff are watching Rick's appearance on the FBI show. The POV shot of the TV, hearing them joke around, recognize stuntman buddies, etc. Both funny but also a really warm moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I felt like the film was a western inside a western. Gave the ‘heavy’ a redemption arc as a hero in reality. Chekhov’s gun was hysterical and on the nose (dirty feet too). I’m a simpleton film watcher and found this to be rewarding and palatable without needing to have a 4D understanding of filmmaking.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

LanceHunter posted:

I couldn’t tell if that was a bit or some weird thing that actually existed that Tarantino was referencing.

I think the bit was to just solidify how much better he fed his dog than himself...which only furthered his existence as a human golden retriever.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Big Bizness posted:

I just remembered the scene where Rick and Cliff are watching Rick's appearance on the FBI show. The POV shot of the TV, hearing them joke around, recognize stuntman buddies, etc. Both funny but also a really warm moment.

I loved how much this felt like watching a DVD commentary.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was that a Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos comic in Pitt’s character’s trailer?

I instantly recognized those yellow Coca Cola crates on the movie set. My dad has a few in his garage. Don’t know why they went with yellow in the 60’s, but they stand out.

EDIT: Looked up that FBI show because I never heard of it, and apparently the actor who played the main character was also the voice of Alfred on the Batman Animated series.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 27, 2019

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
I felt like Sharon Tate was handled just fine. Most people equate her name with the murders, it was refreshing to see her as a beautiful actress who made some wonderful films and celebrating her life instead.

Also it was funny to see Kurt Russell and Zoe Bell as a married couple, given the ending of Death Proof.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Man someone said Bruce Lee teams up to help kill the Manson family and I'm really bummed that didn't happen

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm actually going to push back against the self-aggrandizement piece because in a lot of ways the film is the opposite. Tate's death has often been mythologized into this end of the Hollywood Dream.

I think Tarantino in his fantasy of saving Tate from being slaughtered, pushed back against the idea. Roman Polanski hovers over the film in the same way Manson does, not a real character, but someone we the audience recognize is a monster. Rick is still an alcoholic and while this trait is technically what probably saved Sharon, we've seen how it hinders his acting. Cliff might have been a hero for the moment, but he still most likely murdered his wife. Most importantly, people really don't just pay men in suits to sit there and smoke anymore. The reason that the Mansons were allowed to live on the ranch was that nobody was shooting westerns there anymore. Classic Hollywood was going to die regardless of the Manson Family. Hell, even in the fantasy of the film, Charles Manson probably got away. The film is really clear that nobody knows why they were attacked and there's no reason the prosecution can connect the night to Charlie.

People talked about how the tone of the film's ending is weirdly unsettling. I think the Twilight Zone nature of the film recognizing that this is just a fantasy, but I think part of it is that there is still a lingering sense of doom. Saving Sharon that night doesn't save Hollywood or even necessarily Sharon from things like the PoS she's married to.

It's a film that despite its elaborate recreations of 1969 Hollywood arrives at the conclusion that it's all doomed regardless.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hot drat I really loved this film. I was just enthralled by the atmosphere and friendship. I really enjoyed the scenes of Cliff driving through Hollywood. Good stuff there.

I think Timeless Appeal has the gist of it Hollywood was always doomed. Rick was just anxiety ridden I don't think his alcoholism was really affecting his acting skills. Also sort of unsure about Cliff killing his wife. His violent responses seemed very controlled and it doesn't seem like he would lose that control just because his wife was yelling at him.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

I watched a 4pm showing yesterday, and the movie is still sticking with me. I feel like there is a good bit to unpack. This is a great film.

Speaking of things to unpack, did anyone else notice the odd cuts during Olyphant's character's first meeting with Dalton? There were at least two while both men are in frame. He starts talking while not wearing a hat, then POP, the hat is on. I know it was a deliberate choice by Tarantino, but I am not sure of the significance. Making fun of how directors cherry pick their favorite takes no matter what?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Gooble Rampling posted:

Speaking of things to unpack, did anyone else notice the odd cuts during Olyphant's character's first meeting with Dalton? There were at least two while both men are in frame. He starts talking while not wearing a hat, then POP, the hat is on. I know it was a deliberate choice by Tarantino, but I am not sure of the significance. Making fun of how directors cherry pick their favorite takes no matter what?

I thought that was a shortcut to let us know that this conversation went on much longer than we saw on screen - but there was nothing of substance being discussed, just some Tinseltown networking, so why sit through the entire thing? Which seems counterintuitive to Tarantino's style, but I'm sure even he has little patience for actors swapping pleasantries for 15 minutes, trying to ingratiate themselves to one another.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

KidDynamite posted:

Hot drat I really loved this film. I was just enthralled by the atmosphere and friendship. I really enjoyed the scenes of Cliff driving through Hollywood. Good stuff there.

I think Timeless Appeal has the gist of it Hollywood was always doomed. Rick was just anxiety ridden I don't think his alcoholism was really affecting his acting skills. Also sort of unsure about Cliff killing his wife. His violent responses seemed very controlled and it doesn't seem like he would lose that control just because his wife was yelling at him.

I have to disagree with the idea that the movie is saying Hollywood was always doomed. Polanski and Manson do both linger in the film's background, but if the Tate murders never happened both of them would have been robbed of a lot of their power to do bad. Manson and his group probably would have probably killed more people but they wouldn't have become a cultural landmark. Tate and Polanski would have divorced eventually (the fact that Jay Sebring gets double the screen time of Polanski is noteworthy). When Polanski eventually got caught doing some horrific poo poo he wouldn't have a lot of the sympathy he received during his real arrest because he was Tate's widower.

Big Bizness posted:

One thing I was wondering during the end:
I'm curious to know of Tarantino's intent during some of the scene of the Manson people getting their asses handed to them. The tension has been slowly building for most of the movie and we are increasingly dreading the possibility that this film is going to end historically accurately. And wondering will it be as bloody / gory as some of Tarantino's other work? But then the tables are cathartically turned, and the Manson hippies just get absolutely savaged. But it keeps going and going, the dog chewing the guys nuts just completely off, the girl screaming as Cliff is brutally smashing her head over and over again, bursting through the glass, and her open wounds burning with chlorine, etc. We as an audience have been dreading the violence towards the innocent, but instead it is dished out on the hippies, and justifiably so considering their intentions (and what happened in real life). But the level it goes to makes me feel like there is some kind of statement being made on audience bloodlust, how we can be disgusted by graphic violence in one context yet applaud it in another. Do you think it was supposed to be 100% cathartic? Rick getting out the flamethrower was undoubtedly insanely funny in any case.

I don't think it was trying to comment on audience bloodlust. It was primarily going for catharsis, but another part of it was a "shoot Hitler in the face" level of giving the middle finger to historical assholes. The Manson murderers didn't just get killed, they got humiliated. Because gently caress them.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

I thought that was a shortcut to let us know that this conversation went on much longer than we saw on screen - but there was nothing of substance being discussed, just some Tinseltown networking, so why sit through the entire thing? Which seems counterintuitive to Tarantino's style, but I'm sure even he has little patience for actors swapping pleasantries for 15 minutes, trying to ingratiate themselves to one another.
There's a similar moment when Rick is arguing about his hair. It cuts to a dashing but disheveled look to his hair being more slicked back. It's easy to justify that he just moved his hair in-between the cuts, but I think it's sort of purposefully jarring. Tarantino uses weird cuts to invoke superficiality.

A similar use of movie language I really liked was how the film starts getting grainier at times especially with the Mansons.

I also really liked how they made Cliff invoke a cowboy when he gets to the ranch. His moccasins have laces around the back that stand in for spurs, he holds his keys like a gun, and the way he takes off his glasses stand-in for taking off his hat. We never really see Cliff dress up like a cowboy except for one moment I think, but he always invokes a cowboy. I do think that the movie kind of plays with the idea of Cliff being the very real-world version of the sort of characters Rick plays. And the real life equivelant can be very charismatic, someone you can easily get behind, but also scary.

I do disagree with Rick being just anxiety-ridden. He legitimately does give good performances, but it's like he's doing it with his hand behind his back.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

I have to disagree with the idea that the movie is saying Hollywood was always doomed. Polanski and Manson do both linger in the film's background, but if the Tate murders never happened both of them would have been robbed of a lot of their power to do bad. Manson and his group probably would have probably killed more people but they wouldn't have become a cultural landmark. Tate and Polanski would have divorced eventually (the fact that Jay Sebring gets double the screen time of Polanski is noteworthy). When Polanski eventually got caught doing some horrific poo poo he wouldn't have a lot of the sympathy he received during his real arrest because he was Tate's widower.

Hm that's a good argument. I don't even think anymore Manson murders happen in this universe since Cliff recognized them coming from the ranch. So he would probably give those details to police. But Old Hollywood is dead even with everything working out. Look at Steve McQueen "you're right I never had a chance"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah I think it was meant to show that Dalton wasn’t interested in the conversation and won’t remember it. He doesn’t even put his book down. Contrast to him speaking to the girl and getting useful acting advice that he follows.

I liked the movie a lot. Great story, leads, ending, definitely my favorite of the year.

Two quick questions:
-While in the car, I think Booth said that he’d never been in jail. But then later he says he was on a Houston chain gang for two weeks?

-Was Rick actually cast in Great Escape, then got replaced during shooting? Or was he just imagining how he would have played the scene?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Two quick questions:
-While in the car, I think Booth said that he’d never been in jail. But then later he says he was on a Houston chain gang for two weeks?

-Was Rick actually cast in Great Escape, then got replaced during shooting? Or was he just imagining how he would have played the scene?

- I believe Booth was referring to some stunt/film work in Houston. Didn’t he then say something like “hardest set I ever struck” or something.

- It definitely felt like him imagining what he could have done in the role and how it would have been his breakout. To kinda highlight how all the talk about how close he was or wasn’t to getting cast still kinda stung.

KidDynamite posted:

Hm that's a good argument. I don't even think anymore Manson murders happen in this universe since Cliff recognized them coming from the ranch. So he would probably give those details to police. But Old Hollywood is dead even with everything working out. Look at Steve McQueen "you're right I never had a chance"

Well, I think the film posits Old Hollywood transitioning rather than dying. The time of the Rick Daltons and Steve McQueens is winding down, but they can still have places in the New Hollywood that is to come. Hell, this is kinda what Tarantino has been saying through his whole career with his casting of actors who had been considered washed up.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 27, 2019

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

LanceHunter posted:

- I believe Booth was referring to some stunt/film work in Houston. Didn’t he then say something like “hardest set I ever struck” or something.

- It definitely felt like him imagining what he could have done in the role and how it would have been his breakout. To kinda highlight how all the talk about how close he was or wasn’t to getting cast still kinda stung.

I think he said something like “that’s the last cop’s jaw I’ll ever break.” Good point on #2, yeah that makes sense he was imagining himself in the role, rather than be replaced late like Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future.

How many references to other Tarantino movies were there? I caught:
-Red Apple cigarettes
-Michael Madsen cameo
-The grindhouse intro music when Booth drives past the movie theater

-I missed the big one, that Booth’s Cadillac is Mr. Blonde’s car.

were there any others?

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

I think I caught Tarantino himself in some background footage. A truly subtle cameo if so.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Two quick questions:

I'm probably misremembering but I thought he said he'd never been in prison, not jail (Though chain gang for a local jail doesn't seem super believable either, but it is Texas we're talking about.)

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The girl actress on the western set was reading a biography of Walt Disney, who of course sanitized fairy tales that had dark elements and made them cute and dreamy. What a coincidence... Heh.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
This movie owns. I keep randomly remembering the brutal violence and smile a big smile every time.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I felt like the Sharon Tate scenes were almost like a horror film. Whenever I saw her on screen, particularly being happy, I visibly cringed, because I just worried about later. When I saw her pregnant, I audibly exclaimed "Oh God, no." All of which just made the twist even better for me.
If I had one problem with the film, it was probably the almost worshipful way the movie seemed to portray Hollywood, which just felt kind of self aggrandizing. That said, I honestly loved it much more than I expected.

This is why I LOVED this film

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah I think it was meant to show that Dalton wasn’t interested in the conversation and won’t remember it. He doesn’t even put his book down. Contrast to him speaking to the girl and getting useful acting advice that he follows.

I liked the movie a lot. Great story, leads, ending, definitely my favorite of the year.

Two quick questions:

The simplest answer to question one was that he recognized the situation he was in and lying to tell them what they wanted to hear. He saw her behavior with the cops who drove by earlier, and was able to clock poo poo was weird, so he told a story to make himself seem like one of them.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is why I LOVED this film

I think it's also why a lot of people who aren't familiar with the history will find the pacing to be off.

I did not read up on the Manson family/Sharon Tate/ the night of her death before. I think that makes a massive difference on how enjoyable the film is at parts. My group were equally ill informed - our best recollection of it was that she was actually a member of the cult. I obviously will never ding a movie for my own lack of historical knowledge, and there was still a lot to love. But the Tate at the movies scenes and a lot of the final act lose their punch I think if you aren't already aware of how it really goes down.

I'll see it again now that I'm familiar with the history. I treated not researching any of the history of Sharon Tate as part of my "seeing it blind" and I think it was a big mistake.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Gave it a day to think, and here's my thoughts.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

How many references to other Tarantino movies were there? I caught:
-The grindhouse intro music when Booth drives past the movie theater

This was just period--I think this music was actually played at theaters then.

Re: Sharon Tate
I think Tarantino chose to make her mostly dialogue-less for three reasons.

One is respect to the character--portrayal of many of characters in this show were somewhat of a gag; I cackled when the camera panned to show Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen. I wasn't the only one, and it wasn't the only case (Bruce Lee). Didn't happen with her, and the seriousness of her portrayal was probably part of it. Related, had she had more of an active role, Robbie's performance would have been criticized. By keeping her in the spotlight but distant, there's not a sense of disrespect that would have emerged when it came to criticizing the accuracy of her performance. People will be mad no matter what, but I think it's just easier to handle the frustration that your movie was about something instead of something else since all movies are about that.

Two, anything more and it's an entirely different type of movie. I'm sure that could be a fine movie (though I think more difficult, and with no benefit over the one presented).

Three, and this gets to the root of why even Cliff and Rick are not specific real world actors. They could have been, but Tarantino composited each of them out of at least three actors to ensure they're nobody specific. If you writing actions that, if Sharon Tate did differently then the murders are thwarted, the it starts looking like a message about actions she should have taken. It reduces the surprise at the end, it changes the catharsis, and ultimately it might feel like nonsensical blame that she didn't become an action movie hero. I think people would have been far more justifiably upset at that outcome.

Re: What's the point of the incredible violence.

Other than meeting expectations of a Tarantino film, and utilizing violence as comedy, I think it follows an objective of taking down barriers of privilege. He will get flak for portraying violence against women, but one of his goals, based upon prior films and this one, is to eliminate this idea of the 'protected' status of women. I think the success is a reasonable point of contention, but the intent shared across Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, and this film appears to be to show that women are capable--in this case of doing wrong and suffering. The women are not spared because women are not mindless automatons to be driven and manipulated only by men and thoughts of men. I believe the level of violence was chosen to hammer home that point.

Also of note, the character listed as "Flower girl" that runs away, obviously corresponds to a real world entity. Linda Kasabian, still alive, received immunity from the murders and served as the chief prosecution witness that scored death sentences (later commuted to life). None of the murderer names but Tex (and not his real name) remain in the credits.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Was the Jet Li fight scene a flash back or a dream as it cut to Cliff fixing tv antenna

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I wonder if Rick and the way he regards the rumors about Cliff could be read as a bit analogous to Tarantino’s relationship with Weinstein.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Was the Jet Li fight scene a flash back or a dream as it cut to Cliff fixing tv antenna
Is seen a bunch of argument on this point, and was about to ask it myself. I'm inclined to think it was a fantasy, given the portayal of Bruce Lee just felt to cartoony and didn't jive with Sharon Tate's (brief) flashback of him. That said the different clothes make it seem pretty likely that it was a flashback, and the flashback seems to maybe have more support because of details like that. I'm inclined to think it was deliberately obscure on purpose, so I doubt either is wrong.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I took it to be a daydream, because (combined with the implausibility of the scene), it cuts back to Pitt back on the roof and he just goes “nah”.

It’s also possible that the scene was originally supposed to be real, but there wasn’t a place for it in the final edit so it was reframed as a fantasy, which would explain the outfits not really making sense.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 27, 2019

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Did the scene before the possible flashback say that Randy was the gaffer, or that Randy was friends with the gaffer? I thought the latter, which would support it being a flashback. The costumes being totally unrelated to the scene he was filming current day lend that idea credence
Edit for above: the fight at the end supports the idea he could have beat up bruce Lee. I think flashback.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 27, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

General Dog posted:

I took it to be a daydream, because (combined with the implausibility of the scene), it cuts back to Pitt back on the roof and he just goes “nah”.

It’s also possible that the scene was originally supposed to be real, but there wasn’t a place for it in the final edit so it was reframed as a fantasy, which would explain the outfits not really making sense.

It seemed real to me. Pitt was remembering why the "guy from Green Hornet" might not like him, recalls the incident with Bruce Lee on the set of Green Hornet, and then says "fair enough".

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don’t think any of the scenes people think were imaginary were imaginary.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It's an important scene, too. I was in a packed theater and him beating Bruce Lee was the absolute loudest cheering/laughing the whole night. I'd be surprised if most people read that as a fantasy, and it colored the rest of the movie a lot, plus tied in perfectly with the final scenes.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I think this will be his least popularly acclaimed movie from general audiences. I've seen all of his movies and this is the first time I heard actual complaints outside the theater. It just loses too much emotional impact if you aren't intimately familiar with 60s film and the Manson family.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
The juxtaposition of Rick shooting Lancer to Cliff going to the Spahn Ranch (and both being shot like a TV western?) *kisses fingertips*

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TheAardvark posted:

I think this will be his least popularly acclaimed movie from general audiences. I've seen all of his movies and this is the first time I heard actual complaints outside the theater. It just loses too much emotional impact if you aren't intimately familiar with 60s film and the Manson family.

As the credits were rolling I heard someone grumble "Well, I liked about TWO THIRDS of that movie!" from a few seats down.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

JethroMcB posted:

As the credits were rolling I heard someone grumble "Well, I liked about TWO THIRDS of that movie!" from a few seats down.

That's just weird. There were two very distinct groups at my theater:

Knew the history, loved the whole thing

Didn't know the history, loved Cliff's parts and the funnier Western filming parts

There was no in between. are there history buffs out there who just wanted a straight retelling of the late 60s?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

TheAardvark posted:

I dunno, I liked it and I'm not intimately familiar with 60s cinema outside of the big ones (e.g. The Great Escape). Granted, the pacing was languid with a capital L but I got that very dreamlike feel from the idealization of everything and there was just some degree of comfort from that.

It felt like that feeling I get when I eat at this local steakhouse that has maintained its decor since the 50s; nostalgic, warm, antique but relatable and welcoming. When they go into Musso and Frank's it immediately hearkened back to that.

I think if you're not familiar with that kind of experience or have an interest in the rose-colored nostalgia Tarantino is clearly engaging in, I can see how the movie won't grab you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MaoistBanker posted:

The juxtaposition of Rick shooting Lancer to Cliff going to the Spahn Ranch (and both being shot like a TV western?) *kisses fingertips*

The best part is that the acting on the Rick side is all powerful and naturalistic while all the stuff at the ranch is stilted and other worldly. Basically the style of acting you would actually see in a TV Western as opposed to what Rick is doing.

By the way, "He said he was the devil and uh... He was here to do some devil poo poo." is maybe the funniest thing Tarantino has ever written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

TheAardvark posted:

That's just weird. There were two very distinct groups at my theater:

Knew the history, loved the whole thing

Didn't know the history, loved Cliff's parts and the funnier Western filming parts

There was no in between. are there history buffs out there who just wanted a straight retelling of the late 60s?

how do you know this