Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

But the old thread title

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

But the old thread title

Yay :unsmith:

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wild T posted:

That's because there's an entire industry dedicated to making it appear that way, despite the military loving up in high-profile and hilarious ways constantly.

The military is basically a human trafficking pimp that hangs around telling high schoolers that no, baby, it's gonna be great. Just come work for me and I'll make you rich, buy you nice clothes, I'll take real good care of you. Ain't nobody gonna gently caress with you when you're Uncle Sam's girl. By the time you're blowing dirty truckers for $20 and hopelessly addicted to meth it's too late.

Hits close to home

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Smiling Jack posted:

It's always a children's war.

:(

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Is the barstool guy memeing or just a chud?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The only thing I know about barstool sports was pizza reviews and that they host a show called Zero Blog Thirty which is one the few "military" media I've run across besides What A Hell of a Way to Die and Terminal Lance that isn't a complete chudfest.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ohhh he’s a New England chud I get it now.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah that pedo 3D gun printer guy made a video of himself stress testing printed plastic receivers with non-serialized parts.

Think it cracked after a few hundred rounds but this was like 10 years ago and probably not the best design.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CainFortea posted:

I'm sure the design was very mature for it's age.

:ck5:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Smiling Jack posted:

Hasidic / Orthodox jewish thug squad used for internal security and beating on outsiders.

They have cars and uniforms that look like the NYPD. There are a few different groups, they also fight each other occasionally.

Unlike Hatzollah (vollie Jewish EMS) I have never ever had a positive interaction with Shorim.

I’ve heard they’re super racist and have a long history of harassing women, blacks and Latinos in their areas. Basically just thugs that happen to be Orthodox Jews

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Guest2553 posted:

Do what you love and you never work a day in your life.

The way things are going he might get the chance to relive his glory days! :heritage:

My own grandparents were too young to be involved in the fighting though many (I have 9 sorta grandparents long story) were in the military. However, my buddy’s grandpa was a crusty old scot and he got drunk one night and started telling us (not that I understood what he was saying sober) about all the gnarly poo poo they did to captured SS. They uh, had a high accident rate and unusually high propensity to try to escape. Across open fields, those wacky Nazis.

IIRC he was a young Scots Guard officer but mostly served with a Canadian unit somehow, who were in particular not very stoked on the idea of SS surrendering after the SS murdered a bunch of Canadian POWs early in the war.

What a legend.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Scratch Monkey posted:

At the time you probably could have. It wasn't like now back then. There were so many weapons arriving, being distributed, getting used, destroyed, lost to capture... it was almost impossible to give a gently caress.

The invention of containerization is one of those quiet things that changed the world. Back in the day cargo was break bulk (just put into random compartments) so it was common for dockworkers and plugged in gangs to swipe poo poo. Now it’s actually easy to secure/track/conceal cargo you can actually expect almost everything you ship to arrive. I read somewhere that like at least 25% of all cargo would end up missing by the time it got to its destination.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s a direct reference to an actual atrocity when opponents of Pinochets fascist regime were tortured via disembowelment and thrown from helicopters over the ocean.

If someone you know references “helicopter rides” punch them in the face.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Holy poo poo lmao

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Read from bottom to top:

https://www.reddit.com/user/CrownVicStuntin

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://www.reddit.com/user/CrownVicStuntin/posts/

Actually whoops mobile this is what you need to get the story in just 6 sentences but I gather you guys figured it out already

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 14, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Reddit sucks:

https://imgur.com/a/FAPyIJQ

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CainFortea posted:

Ah, so that explains this.

I had no idea wtf was going on.

No that's the libertarians' territory

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Killing two people for 3k in order to fight for a guy that isn’t even popular when his opponent is Maduro ffs :(

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’ve visited family in Baja but usually I just said I’m taking leave to CA since it requires so much extra hoops at most commands. There definitely isn’t a blanket ban though. I couldn’t go to a wedding in El Salvador though.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Boot self-owns on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/dpcjbg/tifu_by_flying_650_miles_just_to_get_catfished_in/

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

We are all veterans on this blessed day

(veteran gatekeeping is normally stupid but lol a moto boot drops)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

chitoryu12 posted:

After 9/11, are we all not veterans of the War on Terror?

That man most certainly kept a lot of terrorists at bay from the RTC quarterdeck for his 8 weeks in great lakes before going home again for being fat.

:911:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nystral posted:

Was this during boot or after?

Because I thought during boot they had a fatty cadre for the people who had issues with PT?

Before graduation. It was mostly deleted but a couple guys showed up in a veteran whine thread about how much better they are than all those dirty civilians because they shipped to bootcamp and how it taught them THE VALUE OF SERVICE.

The comment about how they got kicked out was deleted above but someone responding indicated it was for failing fitness/weight standards.

Probably just got tossed into Seps right away and lingered a few weeks. At least when I went through if you failed PT tests or weight you would get put into Seps pretty quick and I think it's stricter nowadays.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The revolution will not be tweeted

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Tbf if you’re trying to get back to napping above all else it’s a better option than actual training of any kind

aphid_licker posted:

I mean basically everything you're doing can be captured in a flowchart.

“Give narcan” is a pretty short process compared to polytrauma

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://youtu.be/w7eoQl_rxgc

Lmao I didn’t even know about the narco-genera.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

canyoneer posted:

"this whole COVID fuss is overblown" - a patient on day 12 in the VA ICU with COVID 19, who is lucky to be alive

Told to me by someone who heard it first hand. Once an idiot always an idiot

All my dead covid patients so far are old people who took a lot of precautions but got sick from a family member that was taking care of them. Wish the world was a less unfair place.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m thinking back to generation kill and how disturbed most of the Recon Marines were when that one dude iced a woman who was in the wrong place wrong time versus the total non-reaction the killer cops of Eric Garner and George Floyd had while they were obviously dead and waiting for paramedics.

A bunch of early 20’s hyper machismo’ed SOF marines in an actual war foreign zone have more compassion and humanity than a cop.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

A Bad Poster posted:

You're going to have to be more specific. They iced like 5 civilians accidentally.

Airport

I’m not saying they’re good (they’re really, really bad) but like holy poo poo compare that to most accounts of cops after Officer involved shootings and just how loving blasé police culture is.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Desert Storm was a fluke in that the Iraqis decided to fight exactly like old Russian doctrine dictated which just so happened to be thing we were super well prepared to do.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Man I love being subject to illiterate divorced emotionally stunted man children you should try it.

For real a the POGest possible job in the Air Force or something like cyber would be a pretty good deal if you don’t have a lot of civilian opportunities.

Just commit to being a POG, don’t ever try to “make your service count” or “get in the fight” or any dumb patriotic bullshit because you’ll find yourself doing some really stupid poo poo for some really stupid people for the exact same pay as the guy handing out towels at the gym or sleeping in the server room.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 1, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

An army officer posted memes making fun of Heather Heyer when she died on my timeline under his own account where he identifies himself as an officer. His command did not seem to care.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

“When I see them in the fleet”

way to tell everyone you’re in one of two commands and also a dumb loving boot as well as a nazi.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

At least in CA as at the BLS level I could only call it if it was a total decapitation or rigor mortis.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

quote:

Dear VMI Family,

Many of you have seen an article written by the Washington Post over the weekend that portrays the Institute as having a culture of hostility and insensitivity toward Black cadets. Yesterday, Governor Ralph Northam ’81 and legislative leaders ordered an independent, third-party review of VMI’s “culture, policies, practices, and equity in disciplinary procedures.” Mr. Bill Boland ’73, president of the VMI Board of Visitors, has responded by welcoming the review and offering the Institute’s full cooperation.

I am confident that the review will find that the Institute strives to act with honor, integrity, respect, and civility within the confines of what is legal and appropriate and, in particular, with respect to the incidents detailed in the Washington Post article. I do not believe that systemic racism is present at VMI; however, we can always work to improve on our actions. We look forward to conversations that will occur over the next several months and the objective input and recommendations from the reviewers.

Throughout this time we must remain focused on our mission and the Corps of Cadets giving them the very best full spectrum, nationally recognized education in the country. While we cannot ignore the current social issues, we must redouble our efforts in the midst of this pandemic to bring the current semester to a successful conclusion and ensuring the well-being of the entire Corps of Cadets and our staff, faculty, and classified members.

Now, more than ever, VMI remains dedicated to our unique educational model which has resulted in generations of proud alumni committed to service to the Commonwealth of Virginia and the United States. Our mission of creating citizen soldiers is unlike any other institution of higher education and continues to provide an incredible educational opportunity for the young men and women of Virginia and our nation. VMI will emerge from this process stronger than ever before.

Sincerely,

J.H. Binford Peay III ‘62
General, U.S. Army (Retired)

Got an email today.

Fake military, continuing to be real dipshits.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wasn’t fight club sort of a story about how modern American fascism would look, but then around 2016 Chuck basically just decided that instead of it being a bad thing it was actually good and started hanging out with fascists?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Amos is a pretty realistic portrayal of someone with childhood environment-caused antisocial personality disorder other than the fact he's a bit too loyal to the rest of the main cast.

I love that one bit with the mercenary where they're about to end up on opposite factions within the camp and he's just like "okay but are we still loving?"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wasabi the J posted:

UCMJ applies for life to retirees.

It’d be a pretty extraordinary move to bring someone active just to hammer them with UCMJ and we both know that they’re all getting kid gloves despite killing a cop, maybe even a full pardon depending on how Trump melts down this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/unsettlingmist/status/1347001920481865728?s=20