Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What the hell is that supposed to even mean? It's pseudo christian drivel.

Free... your... mind.

*leaps from roof and crashes into garden shed*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ZZZorcerer posted:

Matrix had huge influence in games, one decade of shooters using bullet time

Maybe we could get another Max Payne game out of this at least!

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

mobby_6kl posted:

One can only hope :shobon:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
This movie sucks unless someone tells me what brand of wifi neo uses in his brain

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ZZZorcerer posted:

Matrix had huge influence in games, one decade of shooters using bullet time

Not to mention the pervasive multimedia saturation of the Matrix (and LOTR) trilogies influencing every AAA video game franchise to create their own extensive worldbuilding in the early 2000s.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I tried to like Enter the Matrix

I tried so hard

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

davidspackage posted:

I tried to like Enter the Matrix

I tried so hard

Yeah it pales pretty badly in comparison to The Matrix: Path of Neo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It was supremely cool that the Wachowskis shot exclusive scenes with the actual actors and production values of The Matrix Reloaded for the game, even if in retrospect it probably wasn't the best use of their time and resources.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Enter the Matrix had that cool hacking thing.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

It was supremely cool that the Wachowskis shot exclusive scenes with the actual actors and production values of The Matrix Reloaded for the game, even if in retrospect it probably wasn't the best use of their time and resources.

It sure as poo poo confused Jada Pinkett-Smith, though, and when she would ask which thing a scene was for, they just went “don’t worry about it!”

Which might be smart directing, just so that she wouldn’t decide to half-rear end a scene because she knew it would end up being seen as a cutscene in a video game instead of on a 50 foot screen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's that poo poo I hear about Morpheus being recast? That's the dumbest idea ever and that's including making another Matrix movie.

ZZZorcerer posted:

One can only hope :shobon:

So what do you know, Remedy just released another game called Control. It's no MP but pretty fun. No bullet time so far though :(

Enter the Matrix wasn't good but from what I remember it had some fun moments in it. Might be interesting to dig it up and give it another go if it still works.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
This news makes me sad.

Full disclosure: I have a real soft spot for The Matrix. It was my first experience with ANY sort of existentialism and it blew my 14 year old brain to smithereens. Combine that with glorious action sequences and a tight, 3 act structure? The first one was world-shattering for a 14 year old edgy dweeb.

So I like the first one probably a little more than is deserved.

...But the first one ENDED The Matrix storyline with a fantastic 4th wall break at the end. Neo talks to the machines, the trace is running, he interrupts the program, he says "I'm gonna show them a world you don't want them to see" (or something similar). The audience then exits the cinema into the "real world."

That was Neo destroying The Matrix for you, the human being. I always loved that ending to the story.

...Then suddenly we get 2 pretty drat mediocre sequels (Albeit with one amazing action sequence each. The highway chase and the Sentinel attack on Zion are freaking awesome) with half-baked ideas that seemed to desperately search for a point, without ever really making one.

I know I'm so heavily biased that I'll go see it. But ugh.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

mobby_6kl posted:

Hopefully a good one, this time.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

H13 posted:

...Then suddenly we get 2 pretty drat mediocre sequels (Albeit with one amazing action sequence each. The highway chase and the Sentinel attack on Zion are freaking awesome) with half-baked ideas that seemed to desperately search for a point, without ever really making one.

That's pretty much it, yeah. They developed the first movie for years, built its philosophy and mined sci-fi elements from Ghost in the Shell and Neuromancer and whatnot. And when the product of that work was successful, they had to develop 2 sequels ASAP to strike while the iron was still hot.

I'm honestly pretty sympathetic for them, because of course the sequels would be bad. The Architect is what happens when your movie, famous for high concept philosophy, has to top itself with no time to come up with anything interesting. It's like Westworld season 2, a gigantic mess of half-baked concepts jotted down out of desperation.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'd still love to see a good Max Payne movie. The lovely Wahlberg one still hurts to think about.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

mobby_6kl posted:

What's that poo poo I hear about Morpheus being recast? That's the dumbest idea ever and that's including making another Matrix movie.

So what do you know, Remedy just released another game called Control. It's no MP but pretty fun. No bullet time so far though :(

Enter the Matrix wasn't good but from what I remember it had some fun moments in it. Might be interesting to dig it up and give it another go if it still works.

All I've seen about this game owns, from setting to gameplay. Gonna get it next week (I think)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Did anyone here play Matrix Online?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

overmind2000 posted:

Yeah it pales pretty badly in comparison to The Matrix: Path of Neo

Path of Neo's title, awarded by this site's own very official video game review section, of 'most adequate game of the year' is absolutely perfect.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They should make it with no guns

We're going to need walkie-talkies. Lot's of walkie-talkies.

I said come in! posted:

Did anyone here play Matrix Online?

Guilty. I'm bummed I missed the shutdown madness.

Snowman_McK posted:

Path of Neo's title, awarded by this site's own very official video game review section, of 'most adequate game of the year' is absolutely perfect.

Path of Neo had a lot going for it, notably the gunplay.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Xealot posted:

I'm honestly pretty sympathetic for them, because of course the sequels would be bad. The Architect is what happens when your movie, famous for high concept philosophy, has to top itself with no time to come up with anything interesting. It's like Westworld season 2, a gigantic mess of half-baked concepts jotted down out of desperation.

tbf that's how they made season 1 too, it just worked miraculously the first time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

All I've seen about this game owns, from setting to gameplay. Gonna get it next week (I think)

Control is great but it's more about a young office worker gifted with supernatural powers that uncovers a parallel reality to their own, so it's not really relevant to discussion of the Matrix.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Xealot posted:

I'd still love to see a good Max Payne movie. The lovely Wahlberg one still hurts to think about.

Karl Urban, please.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think this movie could be so, so good if it leans into the things that made the first one great, like individualism and identity and the artificiality of daily life. Please, please be good. I'm gonna feel like an absolute idiot if I sit down to this film and walk out the way I felt after Revelations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I mainly hope they make a good movie period. Some of the Wachovskis' recent stuff like Cloud Atlas and Sens8 was really heavy on the philosophic and social subjects like identity and sexuality but felt bloated as movies/tv.p and I found them interesting but not really enjoyable like Matrix 99 was.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
AMC is running some week long screening of the first movie's 4k uhd remaster but in dolby vision and atmos theaters only. I realized I'd never actually seen it with proper sound/in a theater so I went.

The stuff shot on film still looks great, plus it uses the more subtle color grading that isn't heavy as poo poo green over everything inside the matrix (I don't even think I've seen that version, I think the first wave of DVD releases had the theatrical color timing intact as far as I know)

The CGI effects upscaled from whatever resolution they rendered them at (2k maybe? anyone know the vfx were finished in 2k?) looked like rear end obviously on a giant screen..the worst offender being the tracker bug sequence...even the bullet-time sequences looked pretty lovely considering every element but the actor was CGI...Don't get me wrong, for the time this movie (especially being at SD resolutions) had insane effects and was kind of the standout for a hot minute..I'd say more so then TPM which came out the same year and had ILM behind it.

The other thing I noticed was the crazy amount of grain overall..something I never caught the dozen times I've seen this on various smaller screens/resolutions. I'd love to see something from the DPs perspective as to why that is..if they chose to shoot fast film stock or if they pushed slower stock in the lab...if it was an aesthetic choice, a budget choice (faster stock = a considerably less amount of light needed = faster lighting setups) or just something not even really factored in...Seeing it from a technical background rather then as a teenager I would have thought they'd have chosen to go with sharp glass/slow stock for all the scenes in the matrix, and then low light/fast stock/high grain almost gritty doc style/16mm for all the things in the real world as a nice subtle contrast considering they chose to blue tones in the real world and green/cool white inside the matrix (obviously not to the degree it became when some colorist got bored a decade later)

I think it still holds up 20 years later. Very little desire to see a new one, I'd go begrudgingly the same way I went to the bladerunner sequel. I feel like I balanced out seeing reloaded opening night in theaters by finally catching the OG classic in the best way possible.

Not sure when this weeklong thing ends, but a ton of theaters have randomly been screening that UHD scan this year for the 20th anniversary (gently caress I feel old)..I think it's worth catching if you can.

e: also did they ever settle with that author who claimed they just lifted her entire book?

annnd bonus: the matrix is just dark city debate, arise from your decades old grave

i love whoever made this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moW17YHl6B8

edit 2:

turns out, no, that lawsuit did not go in that ladies favor..but she did make a geocities style website about it for uhhh our enjoyment?

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 4, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

turns out, no, that lawsuit did not go in that ladies favor..but she did make a geocities style website about it for uhhh our enjoyment?

"PLEASE USE THE DONATE BUTTON TO PAY FOR YOUR BOOKS AND EBOOKS UNTIL I GET MY SHOPPING CART FIXED.
WHEN YOU LEAVE A DONATION, PLEASE LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND INFORMATION AND I’LL SHIP YOU YOUR PRODUCTS."

Sounds like things are going really well for her

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

zer0spunk posted:

Oh jese I heard an interview with her on Coast to Coast like ten years ago and it was pure gold. Some guy called in and asked whether he would become "the one true Neo from the Matrix" if he used this certain laptop, and her response was something like "no because in the future there will just be chrome and microchips." The guy accepted this response as totally reasonable and on-point, which to be fair is pretty par for the course on Coast to Coast.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
it should have ended with the first matrix movie

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Slaapaav posted:

it should have ended with the first matrix movie

You would rob the world of the highway chase?

Even their bad movies have some cool setpieces. That's the only reason I'm excited for Matrix 4. It's a given that it won't live up to the original, but it's very likely we'll get a few action sequences we haven't seen before.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Donnerberg posted:

You would rob the world of the highway chase?

Even their bad movies have some cool setpieces. That's the only reason I'm excited for Matrix 4. It's a given that it won't live up to the original, but it's very likely we'll get a few action sequences we haven't seen before.

sometimes you have to make sacrifices.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm not confident a new matrix film will be good, but whatever I'll watch it because keanu reeves.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I read a one paragraph summary of the entire trilogy recently and I liked it way more than the actual movies. If they had gotten some decent writers to actually work through it it might have actually resulted in a solid sci fi epic instead of 2 and 3 being the mess it was.

Paraphrasing here-

Robots are used by humans as a tool. At some point a robot kills a human and things devolve from there (animatrix).
Humans lose the robot human war hard. They ruin the planet in hopes of cutting off power, but the machines develop the matrix instead to harvest electrical energy.
Without stimulation the power harvested is negligible, hence they create a simulation. The first go-around is a utopia but our brains can't handle a perfect universe so the matrix crashes. Crashing = dead humans, which is no good for harvesting energy.
In further reboots of it, they realize that things start to glitch after a certain point requiring a reboot of the system. They also realize humans need free will or at least the illusion of it to stay complacent so they create "the one" and their zion mythology who then frees more people.
Zion is created as a safe zone for this rebellion in the real world.
The preprogrammed "one" then eventually gets lead to the source of the system where everything is explained to them and they are given a choice-
reboot the matrix, keeping a new group of "free folk" to restart the cycle or just leave entirely and everyone gets purged. Zion is also destroyed at this point in the cycle.
Neo, being the 7th version of this savior/cycle chooses a third option no one has before him- love thanks to trinity, something the machines don't understand but are slowly starting to adapt themselves.
Coupled with having a mutual adversary in the rouge smith virus, neo brokers peace. The matrix is rebooted for a new cycle, this time with transparency and more input from machines that understand love (the indian girl who is born from 2 programs for the first time inside the matrix)..
There's a little back and forth between the oracle (faith) and the architect (science) at the end that basically hints hard that the oracle manipulated the neo/trinity romance as the root of finally breaking the cycle.
We have no idea where neo goes or what becomes of anyone else in the real world...the end?

There's an interesting story of this repeated simulation and how we define what determines simulation- if fate and destiny can compete with free will, and some overall badass hong kong BO gun-fu buried under mounds of pretentious horseshit and bad bondage clothing...

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

zer0spunk posted:

There's an interesting story of this repeated simulation and how we define what determines simulation- if fate and destiny can compete with free will, and some overall badass hong kong BO gun-fu buried under mounds of pretentious horseshit and bad bondage clothing...

I have good news! The hackermans in Matrix 4 - The Matrix Rebooted are so over leather and bondage costumes. Their alter egos will now wear full Steampunk attire to look cool.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 7, 2019

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Donnerberg posted:

I have good news! The hackermans in Matrix 4 - The Matrix Rebooted are so over leather and bondage costumes. Their alter egos will now wear full Steampunk attire to look cool.
[Neo pops his cogwheel monocle]

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i remember watching the first matrix movie. me and my mother were on a summer roadtrip where we would camp outside in a tent every night. one day we went into the local town that had cinema and they were showing this movie called the matrix. i was 10 years old and hadnt seen an electronic device other than a car radio for a week at this point. went in 100% completely blind other than the name of the movie, genre and rating. I was awed and scared out of my mind and the action was just so amazing. the movie just had this POWER over me. most powerful cinematic experience ive ever had in my life.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I saw the first Matrix completely blind as well. All I knew about it was "it's something to do with virtual reality?" Was blown away by the actuality.

Can't imagine that now, when the entire objective of movie publicity is to make drat sure you know exactly what you're going to get, and you've probably already seen 5-10 minutes of footage via clips.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I saw the original on a :files: VHS and a 30" CRT TV after hearing a lot of hype from my cool hacker friends, but not knowing much else. It was great even that way, but it's a shame I didn't get to see it in the theaters because that had to be a much better experience.

I did however go to see Reloaded and Revolutions, and, well.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I saw the original on a :files: VHS and a 30" CRT TV after hearing a lot of hype from my cool hacker friends, but not knowing much else. It was great even that way, but it's a shame I didn't get to see it in the theaters because that had to be a much better experience.

I did however go to see Reloaded and Revolutions, and, well.

The first matrix works way better on a small screen VHS like most movies with passable effects from the 80s until about 1999. The visual noise helps your brain fill in a lot of details. The sequels look better on tape as well, that was just an awkward era moving into higher resolution and more complex CGI.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I saw the first one in theaters completely blind except for knowing it was a sci-fi movie with Keanu Reeves in it and seeing that poster with the baby hooked up to the Matrix stuff and it blew me away.

I had read that newer releases of the original on home video have the parts in the Matrix colored green slightly or something to match the second two movies, is that the case? I never double dipped and only have an early DVD of it somewhere which definitely was not like that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ha, slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't have it yet, but the UHD (and the included Blu-ray) use a new 4K master supervised by Bill Pope that matches the 1999 theatrical color timing. Apparently, the DVD wasn't exactly accurate and it was tweaked a bit much for the 2000s special editions on various formats.