Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Seriouspost - everyone talks about Baudrillard but really the philosopher "key" to understanding the Matrix movies is Ken Wilber.

Wilber did the commentaries, has interviewed and is friends with Lana Wachowski, and in general the idea of trying to reconcile competing philosophies is more aligned with what those movies did, especially the sequels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

The Last Jedi is the only auteurist Star Wars movie

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Henceforth all franchise revivals should be shaggy dog stories

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I enjoyed the movie but struggle with the fact that it's also a movie where pandemic mask-wearers are murderous sheeple

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

It's canon in this movie that interpreting the Matrix through any kind of political lens makes you an annoying bad hipster, but literally worshipping Neo as "Neologist" is heroic

Praxis

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Well, speaking of the idea of side stories and having a movie entirely set in the Matrix,
The best piece of Matrix media is actually that one anime short in the Animatrix where the kids play in that glitched "haunted house", realise weird poo poo is going on that they're never going to understand, but basically just laugh about it and move on

The closest thing to a Zizekian third pill offered by the entire series, the constraints and bizarre idiosyncrasy of the world's boundaries become a mere curio rather than a thing to be resisted against

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I think the movie did kind of do the social media is the new matrix thing i.e. with the emphasis on feelings. Giving you what you want but just out of reach, the dopamine hits of your newsfeed. The therapist is woke consumerism

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

People shouldn't be surprised by the Matrix having baffling tacky poo poo in it, especially when it comes to the Merovingian

This is a series where a woman eats a cake that makes her cum

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

SMG, your performance in the movie was great. I loved when you were in the coffee shop talking to Keanu about what made the Matrix great and offered to talk to Trinity for him

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

It's interesting they say they want to do another one with Lana when this tanked at the box office (although doing better internationally than domestically), I imagine it's probably performing quite well on HBOMax though

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

This is an awful lot of drama in the thread for a pretty simple scene which just reflects that Lana Wachowski finds one simple interpretation of the Matrix allegory limiting and "another Matrix". She has said as much in interviews.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

What we most desire is desire itself

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Watch sense8

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Gotta give it credit where it’s due. It looked distinctively amateur.

I think it definitely has a distinct aesthetic (digital cinematography, lots of natural light, saturated colours, more close up camerawork - esp in the Matrix scenes) but it's certainly not the aesthetic of the original movie.

This is one of the Wachowskis who made Speed Racer, an essentially aesthetics only film, it's not like Lana Wachowski doesn't know how to do visual composition

But she's talked about how they didn't storyboard any more and barely rehearse to feel "freer" like they did on Sense8 and... Yea for better and for worse, by design it leads to a less meticulous film

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

This movie is essentially a joke, but it's a good joke.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Re earlier in thread, Lana Wachowski is a Bernie supporter, so I doubt she's a Libertarian

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

ruddiger posted:

This movie makes for a good double feature with Don’t Look Up.

This movie makes for a good double feature with Don't Look Up.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like Matrix Resurrections is like a writer's workshop or a really good DM.

FWIW the behind the scenes stuff indicates this is basically what it was. Lana Wachowski has talked about how her early movies were meticulously storyboarded, filmed behind monitors etc, all pre-planned lighting set ups.

Now she talks about how she and her team work in a writer's group called "The Pit", which is inclusive of Aleskander Hemon and David Mitchell who were directly credited, but sounds like other people contributed from the Sense8 team and Tom Tykwer (credited only as music). This movie was also codirected by James McTeigue who could only get a producer credit since he and Lana aren't an established duo.

The interviews all talk about how they love the Pit as this magical creative space and now Lana doesn't like rehearsing or storyboards and loves natural light etc etc

So in short, yes this movie is basically Lana Wachowski being given a budget of millions by Warner Bros to gently caress around with her friends and riff on something she did two decades ago

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Well say what you will about the process and the movie but all the performances were good so on that front it kinda did work?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

checkplease posted:

Why say its obviously not great if you haven't watched it.

A guy at the New Year's party I was at started an argument with me about how this wasn't a good movie, after I'd told him I'd seen it and enjoyed it, despite having not seen it, but based on what he'd seen on YouTube

Coincidentally I have had the exact same exchange with someone about the Last Jedi who hadn't seen it

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

This movie was an excellent adaptation of Metal Gear Solid 2

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Every Matrix movie has been good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

The biggest mistake people make with the Matrix is thinking they're adaptations of Baudrillard and not Ken Wilber