Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Defenestrategy posted:

I've attempted to rewatch the attitude era multiple times, and I keep forgetting that this bit happens and it pops me every time it happens. I don't think al snow is as much of a blight on the roster as Deadlock makes it out to be, but I think he did about as well as his ceiling was.

Al was fine as a midcard goof but he's become such a self-serious rear end in a top hat in recent years that it sours his past work a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The337th posted:

Mick's jokes about Al weren't demeaning enough

Though in retrospect, having Bob Holly expose Al's junk to an arena full of people was pretty messed up.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I don't remember when I started and stopped watching WWE but there was a hurricane/rock feud I loved, enough matches with guys like angle and Benoit to make me think wrestling was cool, and hot lesbian action. I assume I stopped watching because there was something better on tv. And then I didn't watch wwe until the pandemic WrestleMania where I was surprised to find half of the featured guys were people I remembered from middle school

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't actually stop watching then, but it changed my relationship with The Product. I told myself never to get invested in anything WWE does, because they'll gently caress it up for any reason or no reason at all. Watching WWE trying to carry any angle to a satisfying payoff felt like watching TV with someone who hogs the remote and flips channels whenever they get bored.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I never liked or watched WWE, I'm a pure 7 star band wagoner.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Parallax posted:

I don't remember when I started and stopped watching WWE but there was a hurricane/rock feud I loved, enough matches with guys like angle and Benoit to make me think wrestling was cool, and hot lesbian action. I assume I stopped watching because there was something better on tv. And then I didn't watch wwe until the pandemic WrestleMania where I was surprised to find half of the featured guys were people I remembered from middle school

I think Saudi Arabia and Kalshoggi was basically it for me, at least in regards to the main roster, although I did follow the product via sites like WOB/F4W and PWTorch.

I kept watching NXT, until the decline in quality was just too much to overlook. I deactivated my subscription to the WWE app, although I do admit I reactivated it for the Royal Rumble and WrestleMania in 2020 to watch those shows.

I de-activated my account immediately after Drew beat Brock, and was watching AEW regularly since.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I remember deactivating my account with the reason, "Roman Reigns," but I can't recall which event it was that finally pushed me over the edge.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I kept watching WWE (mostly out of habit) until Brock vs. Kofi happened. Then I mostly stopped and decided 'no more'.

I kept coming back for the rumble though eventually I stopped because it just stopped being worth it, and I watched pandemic Money in the Bank because the concept of climbing Titan Tower was so goofy that I had to check it out, and I watched most of Mandy Rose's NXT run because it was so ridiculous I had to see it for myself.

I'm completely clean now though. gently caress the 'E.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Most kids my age stopped watching WWE in 2001 but I stuck it through the Invasion and the Brand Split. We only got SmackDown on free TV in the UK so I got Lesnar, Angle and Benoit for all of 2003 and I stuck with it.

I stopped watching after WrestleMania 20 because Bradshaw as world champion was terrible and I grew up and got a job.

I kept up with what was happening but I wasn't a regular until 2011 with Punk and The Shield. Stopped watching after WrestleMania 30 but I was brought back in to NXT during the Ciampa, Andrade, Gargano, Black era and I couldn't believe how much better it was. I was an NXT UK watcher until Speaking Out made it impossible to watch.

The Revolution tag match between The Bucks and Hangman/Omega really got me invested in AEW and non WWE wrestling in general so I've never bothered keeping up with WWE since.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Stopped planning watching Monday nights with friends around 04-05 after graduating university but still caught episodes here and there, would leave it on when there was nothing better on TV, etc. I think I was down to just watching NXT and dropped completely when the Network launched and stupid Rogers took NXT off TV in Canada.

Just follow online now to see what guys I liked are up to these days and watch an occasional recommendation.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I think HHH's reign of terror did me in. I always hated DX and HHH, and hated the idea of guys with booking influence getting pushed to the top.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I'm one of the many many many who tuned out immediately after Austin turned heel at Mania 17. Great, Vince all over the show and a heel champ once again, count me out.

Completely missed (wouldn't say I missed it, Bob) the Invasion, the brand split, Ruthless Aggression, Brock, the Reign of Terror, Cena, all of it. Slowly started to come back after, lol, the Punk/Cabana interview, kind of a "wow this place seems like a horrible trainwreck, lemme check it out" thing.

Remember walking through my dorm's common area in early 2002 where a few people were watching RAW. Saw the old-rear end nWo on my screen, chuckled to myself at my good decision to stop watching, and kept walking.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

The Grey posted:

I think HHH's reign of terror did me in. I always hated DX and HHH, and hated the idea of guys with booking influence getting pushed to the top.

HHH's reign of terror also did me in, as well. By the summer of 2003, maybe fall, I stopped watching regularly.

I would watch here and there, but AEW was the product that brought me back in late 2020. While I hear big things are happening in the WWE, I have no interest in watching it. AEW isn't perfect, but I still enjoy it.

Which, speaking of AEW, what is the appeal of Adam Cole? I missed him on the indies, and his entire NXT run, so I feel like I am missing something about him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Twin Cinema posted:

HHH's reign of terror also did me in, as well. By the summer of 2003, maybe fall, I stopped watching regularly.

I would watch here and there, but AEW was the product that brought me back in late 2020. While I hear big things are happening in the WWE, I have no interest in watching it. AEW isn't perfect, but I still enjoy it.

Which, speaking of AEW, what is the appeal of Adam Cole? I missed him on the indies, and his entire NXT run, so I feel like I am missing something about him.

Saying ADAM COLE BAY BAY. Wrestling fans love repeating things

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Twin Cinema posted:

He's a good wrestler and a good talker and that indie background is kinda important. Also apparently when he was in NXT he was super over. I remember when he went to AEW the E drones were super pissed and calling him a traitor. He broke a lot of brains because they were all certain he would never leave and be a big deal on the WWE main roster, despite the fact that Vince's idea for that was to have Cole shave his head and become Keith Lee's manager

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 11, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Wrestling fans love repeating things
What?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
If you sleep with your sister, say what!

edit: For reference.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 11, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Saying ADAM COLE BAY BAY. Wrestling fans love repeating things

CEO
CEO

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

D.N. Nation posted:

I'm one of the many many many who tuned out immediately after Austin turned heel at Mania 17. Great, Vince all over the show and a heel champ once again, count me out.

Completely missed (wouldn't say I missed it, Bob) the Invasion, the brand split, Ruthless Aggression, Brock, the Reign of Terror, Cena, all of it. Slowly started to come back after, lol, the Punk/Cabana interview, kind of a "wow this place seems like a horrible trainwreck, lemme check it out" thing.
Ha, I went through the same arc. I actually wished I hadn't missed Austin's heel era, but at the time, Steve Austin was the embodiment of everyone I hated in high school.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

for all their issues, wrestling became a lot less fun for me the moment ECW and WCW went away. WWE bought up everything, tried to re-write history with their dvds and didn't interact with the rest of the wrestling world. So for me in America wrestling went from this crazy world wide thing to one company that seemed to spite me specifically. One of the things I love about AEW is it feels like a spiritual successor to WCW and doesn't make the same terrible mistakes it does along with working with all these different wrestling organizations

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Shard posted:

for all their issues, wrestling became a lot less fun for me the moment ECW and WCW went away. WWE bought up everything, tried to re-write history with their dvds and didn't interact with the rest of the wrestling world. So for me in America wrestling went from this crazy world wide thing to one company that seemed to spite me specifically. One of the things I love about AEW is it feels like a spiritual successor to WCW and doesn't make the same terrible mistakes it does along with working with all these different wrestling organizations

That's interesting. I don't see AEW as a successor to WCW because they haven't made the same mistakes as WCW

The people trying to make comparisons between AEW and 2000 WCW very clearly never actually saw 2000 WCW

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's interesting. I don't see AEW as a successor to WCW because they haven't made the same mistakes as WCW

The people trying to make comparisons between AEW and 2000 WCW very clearly never actually saw 2000 WCW

so WCW had a very distinct feeling to WWF back in the day, you know when it was good. And AEW makes me feel like I did when I liked WCW, not the way I felt when I liked WWF. I am not articulate enough to really explain it further. It's just this feeling I have.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

its because wcw had cool lucha poo poo and so does aew

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Grendels Dad posted:

If you sleep with your sister, say what!

edit: For reference.

IIRC this was Albany, NY so I don’t think most of those people were falling for a trick

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Shard posted:

so WCW had a very distinct feeling to WWF back in the day, you know when it was good. And AEW makes me feel like I did when I liked WCW, not the way I felt when I liked WWF. I am not articulate enough to really explain it further. It's just this feeling I have.

I wasn't saying you're wrong :)

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Twin Cinema posted:

If he's ever back in one piece, he'll probably make more sense once he can fully immerse into some heel work

I've never felt like his babyface presence carries as well for fans that don't already have a past connection to him

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The best thing about Adam Cole in AEW was him being this annoying little rear end in a top hat who kept getting his poo poo kicked in for being annoying. Not once did he win in the end and it's been great. And the fact that he's like a super sweet guy in real life makes it better somehow.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shard posted:

The best thing about Adam Cole in AEW was him being this annoying little rear end in a top hat who kept getting his poo poo kicked in for being annoying. Not once did he win in the end and it's been great. And the fact that he's like a super sweet guy in real life makes it better somehow.

He got OC to completely murder him off the top before OC got into his more emotional phase

Also that match features one of the best weapons ever tack cup

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Out of all the blatant Shawn Michaels inspiration, him being able to channel so much petulant prick energy on camera is probably the most impressive

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Another thing that put me off of WWE was just feeling that not only were their matches samey 'get your poo poo in and go home' but it felt like the better wrestlers were being hindered and not working at full power.
AEW proved this to be absolutely correct.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChrisBTY posted:

Another thing that put me off of WWE was just feeling that not only were their matches samey 'get your poo poo in and go home' but it felt like the better wrestlers were being hindered and not working at full power.
AEW proved this to be absolutely correct.

When you have to actively work against the WWE house style.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think that learning how to carry some huge goof to a passable match is a good skill to have, but not something I want to see a great wrestler do constantly for years

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
What am I supposed to be taking from the whole Punk video thing? I don't know much about it or AEW but people act like it's a big deal but when I look at it it just kind of looks like a dumb fight and nothing really happens.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What am I supposed to be taking from the whole Punk video thing? I don't know much about it or AEW but people act like it's a big deal but when I look at it it just kind of looks like a dumb fight and nothing really happens.

Punk leaked to the press to make it look like he didn't start a fight but when you watch you can tell he started and looked very goofy in it.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Take from it what you will. Apparently Tony Khan has wanted to air the footage for a while, though I'm not sure why. To prove Punk was lying about it? The people who believe Punk won't be convinced by anything. Airing it now was part of the angle between the Young Bucks and FTR, who have a tag title match at the upcoming pay-per-view. The Bucks aired it to show that they, as executives in AEW, were distracted by the goings on and that's why they lost to FTR back then.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If anything it gave a bunch of Fed apologists ammunition to say "See? Tony's just like Vince" because they want to keep watching WWE without feeling bad about it.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

It got a bunch of people who don't normally pay attention to AEW to pay attention to it for five minutes.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I had a few breaking points but they came on top of a lot of little moments. When Bryan won the title at Mania 30 I felt like that was my end - I had been watching weekly nonstop for a long time, and it was as good as it was going to get for me WWE-wise. Everything after felt like an epilogue, and of course the Kane feud happened and he eventually vacated it but I was drifting away by then.

This was basically it for me, too. I'd faded out and back in since the Invasion, more or less; I'd have Raw and SD on if I was home, and Shawn was my favorite going back to '92 so I would always be following what he was doing, but it wasn't until Bryan/Punk that I got back in. We all know what happened with Punk, but watching Bryan finally get the run to WM through sheer force of fan will was so good, and his win was the most I'd enjoyed wrestling in a long time.

And then the next night, he gets the poo poo beat out of him so that Evolution and the Shield can have their big standoff, and that was it, I was done. I don't know if that was the last Raw I watched or if I hung on a while longer, but it was the end of me caring. I can count on my hands the number of WWE matches I remember watching after that (Zayn/Nakamura, Moxley's cash-in, Black/Andrade, the two WALTER/Ilja matches...) and it was always downloading them after the fact. Nothing has made me feel the urge to pay attention again, and so many things have made me feel the opposite way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If anything it gave a bunch of Fed apologists ammunition to say "See? Tony's just like Vince" because they want to keep watching WWE without feeling bad about it.

Much like that video won't sway any of them, it's just as irrelevant that it gives them something to justify their lovely habits.