Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I have a Big Van Vader related question. Is Big his first name, or is "Big Van" his nickname and Vader his name?

His full name is "Big" Leon van Vader. Shortened to just his surname Van Vader, naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Can some qualify for me the main differences between ‘wrestling cool’ and ‘real’ cool.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

At the nadir in the New Generation, they were sometimes doing 3 tapings at the shittiest venues.

Going through any New Generation recap podcast is a joy to hear "yeah this was taped three weeks ago, I know last week was part two of the next set of tapings but this the order they released them in"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Draxion posted:

Woods also wrestled all over before NXT, he was on TNA and stuff a decade ago. He's tagged with Makabe and Honma before.

and most importantly, Austin "Consequences" Creed is a former member of Team Pacman with Adam "Pacman" Jones.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I believe it's worked shoot-style matches a la UWFi or the like. So lots of grapplefucking and MMA-esque striking.

This is a pretty accurate understanding. The Bloodsport shows started as basically an excuse to watch Matt Riddle shoot on Low-Ki, only when Low-Ki dropped out to prevent his own embarrassment Minoru Suzuki was brought in to complete the feel of the show as a love letter to the UWFi worked shoot-style. After Riddle got locked in the fed GCW tapped Josh Barnett as the go-to lover of both the English language and UWFi.

The ring does not have ropes and decisions are rendered only through submission or knockout.

It is pretty good stuff.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

Here's a REAL Wrestling Question for all you chads and staceys out there.

Which one of Chuck Taylor's terrible wrestler names would you use in your NXT debut?

"This Is:" Howie DeWitt
Boomer Scarborough
"No Gimmicks Needed" Steve the Samurai
"Powercat" Jeff Winslow
Adrian "Dill" Picklesby
"Pro Bowler" Benji "Ball Return" Roberts
"Long Haul" Lenny Broadway
"Hard Wood" Rich Mahogany

This is my shortlist, but winnowing it down to one I'd have to say "NO GIMMICKS NEEDED" Steve the Samurai.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

The other day I was watching Villano III Jr. and wondering whether his son would go by Villano III III.

I hope to live to see this because lucha loving rules.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

I have great news! They're both back!

Something that is really loving me up since I realized it, is that since AEW Dynamite is Nitro (but the good bits you remember), I was a far deeper seated WCW fan than I originally thought I was during the past decade.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

The crowd starts chanting “holy poo poo” here: https://youtu.be/I7_nxdftYks?t=51m12s but I don’t understand the significance of the move. Why do they chant?

dropping a human's head (or at least simulating it) onto the ring's apron is considered a top level gnarly as hell move with a higher danger factor than a regular move. Kenny does that snap-Dragon Suplex as a part of his normal moveset, so seeing on the apron made it look gnarly as hell.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

What does catering mean? I mean, I know what catering is, but does it have a special significance here? e.g.:

to elaborate a little more, in the wwe (and wcw before/concurrent with it) a wrestler who is called in to work a show, but ends up not being used is considered stuck hanging out in catering waiting for their name to appear on the show's format. It was considered a sign of wasted resources/poor management because you would fly/drive out to the show people who weren't going to appear because you needed everyone on deck since the roster of the show wasn't finalized before travel time became impossible to make.

Eventually, since WWE has a monopoly that is only recently being challenged in a meaningful way (with multiple simultaneous competitors evolving on the scene outside of it) they could afford to hire people for the sole purpose of not using them, thus leaving them "stuck in catering at shows" forever.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Kidman.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

NJPW also put up a free match every week on Monday both on World and on their YouTube channel. It's usually a marquee match from a few years ago, so it's a good way to take the temperature of if the product is for you.

Yeah, the New Japan YouTube page is really good for two things, the Monday free match (that is just updated on Mondays, you have a week to watch each new match) and translated post-match (you can usually hear the next match starting) promos in front of a sponsor wall in front of (fake???) media.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Draxion posted:

It's probably real media. Japan still has stuff like weekly pro wrestling magazines, that's a sign that people are still interested in reporting on it.

On balance you a probably right, it is just that they don't really act as anything but props for the promos rather than actually doing post-game interviews.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I have no idea, but it is implied (to me to exist) by New Legacy having a drop of that as one of their donation sounds.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lamuella posted:

"society of dead friends"

what the gently caress.

The Quakers are known as the Religious Society of Friends, so since the shirt uses a Quaker pun it's a continuation of that. Not that it is GOOD.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Japan (by extension Asia) and North America. Since the first champion was MVP and the tournament was Japanese wrestlers vs American wrestlers in the first round (ignoring captain loving new japan)

oh poo poo and the tournament looks like it took place in America.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 9, 2020

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The greatest wrestler of all time would be getting his due, I'm of course talking about Chuck Taylor.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Japanese deathmatch legend Luther

Wouldn't be signed because they wouldn't be hiring Jericho people.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
john 'bradshaw' layfield.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Low Ki did a great double stomp. No mercy.

Low Ki doing something lovely to his opponents and thus making it look good you say?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

Why does Curt Hawkins carry a staff around?

I actually have an answer for this one, he was teamed with Tyler Reks at some point (they were a unit in old NXT, but I don't remember if they predate that) and when they were brought to Raw they were told they would be male strippers. So Hawkins gets the cane prop for that gimmick and like it (and having something he can idle with, which is super important if you are never more than background fodder) enough to never drop it when WWE immediately forgot what gimmick they told him he was doing. (They had been delayed because Tyler Reks retired rather than be a male stripper on tv, so eh)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
That and Eddie Edwards brain was broken by being stapled to Davey Richards so he became Tommy Dreamer.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The nWo without Hogan falls into the dustbin of history with the Dungeon of Doom, the Alliance to End Hulkamania, whatever the crew that gave Brutus Beefcake a singles match for the WCW world title at Starrcade. And by this I mean Kevin Nash and Scott Hall would be teaming with Kevin Sullivan and a ghost.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

flatluigi posted:

as punishment for him not supporting the blood money ppvs and fundraising for syria instead, he was turned into a heel whose heeling was about how loving annoying he is & he doesn't wrestle anymore

Technically, it is punishment for being Syrian, since that resulted in him being explicitly banned from the blood money ppvs.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Punch McLightning posted:

I have no idea who Adam Blampied is. Why do I keep seeing things about how he’s back and why should I care?

British Youtube wrestling pundit who was fired from his position as part of the founding team of Cultaholic for being some sort of sex criminal (or non-criminal sex malfeasance really don't know the details myself). As for caring, probably shouldn't, or at least I really don't and I followed his work prior.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It's artistic qualifiers and critical acclaim.

Randaconda posted:

Hmm yes, the business, which has always been first and foremost about making money, doesn't count guys who made more than anybody else!

It turns out that people who don't live or die by capitalistic hell reasons find more intellectual measures of an arts quality.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Virgil unironically had one of the best lines in AEW history.

"Chris Jericho's talent is like Olive Garden's Breadsticks, unlimited."

or

"I don't know anything about goats, I'm not a farmer. But Chris Jericho is the greatest of all time."

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W9H8bhY0pk

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Cowboy poo poo promo was originally for the Jericho Match.

Either on BTE or a Road to... show. I think BTE where he pops his stitches from the Judas Effect.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Nexus was the definition of a faction being more than the sum of its parts, because as a crew they had a real good thing but it's not like the WWE would allow them exist without ruining them.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, the WrestleMania 9 segment was racist even before Todd Pettingill started shouting the name of Japanese automakers.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'm confused with this assertion that there were matches in the attitude era.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

Since Billy Corgan bought the NWA are there any small time feds still associated with it? I thought of this question because of the NWA mountain state question above, which I do not have an answer to.

Billy Corgan's purchase of the NWA led to final end to the NWA affiliate system as far as I am aware. There are no NWA territories now that Billy tried turning it into its own promotion.

Edge & Christian posted:

What (if any) are examples of a wrestler being reluctant/dubious about an angle/gimmick, agreeing to it despite reservations, and coming out of it going "I was wrong, that was great!"?

A classic example is Kurt Angle not quite getting that being the Real American Hero when he debuted would get him over as a heel and was dubious on listening to McMahon and not playing a more traditional heel before the audience reaction made him a Vince convert.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Hirez posted:

Also the hurdle, and concussions, though it's missing the swinging helmets at other peoples head

Might I introduce you to Justice, Matthew from AIW Hell On Earth XV.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Steve "Mongo" McMichael has both a super bowl ring and a United States championship title belt.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
You made that up, there isn't such a thing as a "current WWE 24/7 champion"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Post-WCW Sting was convinced the bad company would misuse him has an active wrestler and book him poorly out of spite. He had offers from the fed during that time period he turned down, I believe.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Moe_Rahn posted:

Yeah, it's my understanding that they made him an offer after the closing of WCW, but at the time Sting wanted to stay at home with his family and continue getting paid by Turner, instead of going to another company where he'd get booked like an even bigger idiot loser.

Stretch the timeline, WWF buys WCW but forces AOL/Time Warner to eat the big contracts, this includes Sting's deal, while Sting COULD have taken the lovely WWF contracts they were offering to the big money people, he'd have been very stupid to. (compare Rey Misterio Jr to Booker T, or Scott Steiner to Buff Bagwell or the nWo to like DDP)
By the time Sting's deal is up and the WWF can extend a contract to him without it being a paycut, he's seen how they've handled DDP and Booker T and is convinced that Vince is going to get revenge and treat him like an absolute loser idiot who sucks.
Does the WWA tours because of course he does.
Then TNA forms and eventually finds enough money to grift out to make Sting an offer to appear.
Sting refuses to sign with Vince until 2014.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

hard to believe the wwe has always been bad but the data is persuasive

It's actually not all that hard to believe, honestly.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Austin Theory went from working for Gave at Evolve to WrestleMania in basically five months.

edit: Five months, he dropped his Gabe Belt in November of last year.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I continue to be amazed the fed fired one half of the stand out tag team in the TMDK, only to scrape around the performance center until they found one of the other members to give to Shane Haste as a tag team partner.