Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

harperdc posted:

Killshot/Dante Fox in a Hell of War match for those looking for it elsewhere, and it was loving amazing. I need to go watch it again.

It was a fantastic match ruined by Matt Striker's constant war references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Was said war the Infinity War? If it was actual war, that's a step up.

Less a specific war but referring to moves and the action in the ring with war-like comments.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I think at this point when it comes to this whole wrestling thing, it's easier to list things that Okada is NOT good at.

1. The Money Clip.
2. Erm... help me out here, guys?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

davidbix posted:

and the commonly shared story (at least in the Johnny B. Badd days) of him fighting Razor Ruddock is true, as well.

As in Neil Ruddock, the football/soccer player?

Edit: Just looked it up and obviously you mean the boxer Donovan Ruddock.

Hoss Corncave fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 6, 2021

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lid posted:

what the gently caress

He was over 400lbs at one point and went down to about 260.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

The epitome of Triple H's tendency to bury guys for no discernible benefit was when London and Kendrick ran in to help a babyface Trips only for him to pause, let the crowd cheer this possible cool new faction... and KICK WHAM PEDIGREES.

The one where everyone including the announcers walked out on him during the vote of no confidence only for Zack Ryder to return to support him was at least a good moment where he was appreciative of it.

Oh wait, that also ended in KICK WHAM PEDIGREE.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Another problem I think is that WWE, historically, hasn't really been able to book a dominant heel well (which is part of what's made their recent programming so baffling). They have a natural inclination towards the dominant babyface- Hogan, Austin, Cena, etc. That's their comfort zone, a hero who faces a number of challenges but is always The Guy.

Like having HHH as a major heel whom a babyface has to overcome, sort of like a video game boss, that feels like where he would have worked best. But they made him the Ace while still being a dick and yeah.

Regardless of how his matches were, Mark Henry in his initial Hall of Pain run was pretty well booked. He wasn't made to look a fool, he didn't run away in terror (except for against Orton at one point for some reason), and he acted like a man who knew he could throw anyone he wanted around like a ragdoll (and did). He was just a solidly booked dominant monster heel who was fun to watch.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I loved his beef with Sheamus started when Sheamus said "strength isn't everything." Of course that would set Henry off.

And this is one of many reasons why I can't hate Sheamus.

Vagabundo posted:

The DX Band turned heel at WMXIV by singing, if you could even call it that, the American national anthem.

I honestly believe that national anthem would be better in general if at the end the person/people singing it had to shout "A-MEH-RIH-CUH" over and over like Chris Warren did.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

fez_machine posted:

By all accounts Britt has a better record as a scout, I think Will Hobbs is one of hers.

Wardlow is the big one (pun not intended) that she recommended.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Kurt then set up a four way match to determine who would be his tag team co-champion: Samoa Joe, Christian, AJ Styles, or Sting. Sting won the match, and a week later Kurt and Sting lost the belts to Ron Killings and Pac-Man Jones, which eventually led to a Kurt/Sting feud and because Pacman Jones wasn't allowed to actually wrestle, they brought in some new guy Consequences Creed to eat the pinfall to take the belts off of Team Pacman.

I'm sure this made at least slightly more story sense when it happened.

I may be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure Karen fell over towards the end of the match, pointed at Sting and said he pushed her leading to him trying to tell Angle that didn't happen. This lead to Angle giving him the Olympic Slam and walking out leaving him free to be pinned by Pacman in what was the only actual physical thing he did in the ring.

Then later it was revealed that Kurt and Karen planned the whole thing together and losing the tag titles and pissing off Sting was all part of the plan and a good thing because... yes?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

Lucha Underground Season 2, Episode 9: Aztec Warfare II is a fantastic watch and Matanza's debut is unmatched.

This is one of my favourite matches of all time because it just hits everything so well, plus there's a lot of little things going on including and not limited to Jack Evans comically falling down the stairs in the background while Brian Cage and Willie Mack stare each other down in the ring.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re: WWE wasting Cesaro.

Do they still do the ARMBAR, (Andre Rousimoff Memorial BAttle Royale), at Wrestlemania? Does the winner still get a trophy?

Apparently there was one this year but it was on the Smackdown before WM. I'm not sure if the winner got a trophy though.

Also, there are only three out of the seven winners still with the company (Cesaro, Corbin, and Jey Uso).

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Different Rick, but when it comes to real estate this one always amuses me.

https://ricksteiner.atlcommunities.com/

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Punk also openly mocked Miz for suggesting Daniel Bryan wasn't as as good as him on NXT (I doubt he was supposed to do this).

The bit on the very first season of NXT where Danielson says something about how all the other pros know that he's better than Miz and you see the pros all sat there with Punk leaning over to Regal and saying something while smirking to which Regal gives a "very much so" nod of agreement. It always amuses me when I see it.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

What would you call a Brainbuster where the opponent is bounced off the top rope and then converted into a jackhammer, and does someone perform such a move?

I'd guess it would would be like Tully Blanchard's Slingshot Suplex only it would be a Slingshot Jackhammer.

Incidentally, Shawn Spears used it for a bit and he's managed by Tully so it makes sense. It's at 52 seconds in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBHuBAXfBr0

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Unrelated: Why do you suppose Rey Fenix's "ANIMO" chant never got over with AEW crowds? It was big in LU and he still gets them in AAA, and AEW fans typically knew Lucha Bros from other feds.

If I were to guess, I'd say it would be likely be due to LU being in the same place for entire seasons with a regular set of fans that were at most tapings while AEW are a touring promotion with different crowds each week. It could also be a language barrier thing but that reason doesn't really work considering that his brother has probably one of the most over catchphrase chants around in all of wrestling right now.

Edit: beaten.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Seams posted:

I always *think* I’m bored by Goto but then I watch his matches and they always draw me in.

You're not the only one. I know we call him "Chokey Hirooki" but he is a fantastic wrestler who has great matches.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Archer got the claw over again as a finisher with his 2019 g1 run though he hasn't used it in AEW

Archer doing the claw with a plastic bag over Mox's face at their Wrestle Kingdom match an incredibly simple spot that was great.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Chyna being on Third Rock from the Sun was the one I'll always remember actually seeing when it was airing.

Years later finding that HHH played a defender of paedophiles on some terrible bicycle cops show called Pacific Blue made me laugh a lot because everything about it is terrible.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

While Hogan is 100% bs-ing his ability to handle the rough waters it's generally pretty well known the A-team cast didn't get along with pretty much everyone hating George Peppard

I'm pretty sure either one of or both Dirk Benedict and Dwight Schultz had talked about how Peppard hated Mr. T because Peppard was the big movie star and supposed to be the main character but Mr. T was easily the most popular.

I definitely recall one of them talking about Peppard doing the think that children do when they refuse to talk to someone and ask a third person to tell that person what they're saying while they're standing right next to them. Apparently he'd do that and Mr. T would just laugh because it was so childish.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

When they added a woman to the cast he was absolutely brutal to her according to several cast members, basically telling her she didn't belong there because she was a woman, it was a man's show, etc.

Yeah, I recall someone talking about him saying to her that it was "a man's show" and "we don't need you here". He seemed like just an all-round arsehole.

bartok posted:

Yoshi-Hashi?

In fairness to Y-H, I don't think his problem was that he wasn't ever good, but that he was in the company of people who were incredible in some way that he got overshadowed. At one point in Chaos, he was alongside Okada (potentially going to be the greatest wrestler of all time), Nakamura (one of the greatest wrestlers in the world at the time and ridiculously charismatic), and Ishii (another one of the greatest wrestlers in the world). Then you've also got someone like Yano, who while not necessarily the greatest in-ring, is incredibly popular and loved, and Y-H just kinda gets relegated to the background even before you add people like Tanahashi, Naito, Suzuki, etc.

But the pandemic happened and he had a good run in the New Japan Cup, had some great performances in the G1, had one of the best feel good stories of recent years with the trios title tournament, and is now in a fun and solid tag team with Goto. It's funny to think that if six or so years ago you could have said "In 2022, you'll be more excited for a YOSHI-HASHI match than a Shinsuke Nakamura one" I'd have laughed at you and called you crazy, but yet here we are.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Probably Shark Boy because he was smart enough to trademark the name and then retire after a substantial payoff from Dreamworks when they made a movie with his name in it.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

harperdc posted:

Go look at how many of those dudes are now in WWE or AEW too. Insane amount of talent.

Supposedly Liger called/came up with the spot too. Dude is a legend.

I'm pretty sure not a single person in that match isn't currently signed or hasn't been signed to either WWE, AEW, or NJPW.

WWE - Alexander, Black, Callahan, Ciampa, Dunne, Kendrick, and Riddle
AEW - Black, Taylor
NJPW - Liger and Cobb

I'm also pretty sure that the only two people not currently signed to any of those companies are Callahan and Kendrick. Pretty impressive really.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

this is why "years in the business" is often a pretty pointless metric, imho

Unless you're Ivelisse where it's apparently the most important thing along with mandatory respect to the veterans.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Nea posted:

I gotta say i think i posted in this thread or another one about nervously wanting to try out DDP yoga like two months ago and it's really been helping. i still can't stand for a long period of time without pain but i can already tell my physical stamina's improved a lot and is closer to where it was when i was working standing up, moving around jobs. not like, all the way there, but getting there. And even though like, i'm a big woman and i haven't really lost weight something about doing these exercises with a lot of encouragement from the videos and like, actively making an effort to get my health back has made me feel more comfortable in my body on a day to day basis. Despite missing a week due to college finals season, even.

Genuinely, DDP Yoga rocks. highly reccomend it.

The weight loss usually comes more with a change in diet as well, but it's good to hear that you're getting stronger and more comfortable in yourself. You're doing great.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

That man in the white trunks looks like Sméagol.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i showed the post to suzuki

Well, nice knowing you, ncumbered_by_idgits.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

How many moves has Muta invented that other people have made dozens of variations on? I wonder who holds the record for doing that.

It's most likely going to be one of the Joshis from the 90s.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I didn't mind Zybysko. Cole has proven he can be decent when he doesn't have a particular person in his ear. Lawler, despite having a lot of issues could be good at times. Art Donovan was a one off and a terrible booking choice, plus his whole thing was kind of adorable in a way.

Mark Madden however is a horrible human being who seemingly runs purely on spite and added nothing of desired value to the role. Plus he cared more about putting himself over and being what he considered a "cool heel" commentator which was just unpleasant.

Worst team for me would be him, Vince, and Disco Inferno.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Sandman McMahon posted:

Also the Goldberg heel turn was a pretty god awful idea. That was when I knew WCW was truly dead to me.

The Goldberg heel turn was absolutely stupid but as you say, WCW was already more than one foot in the grave at that point so it's not the most ill-advised.

It has to be Austin. Sure, him becoming increasingly more insane and paranoid once HHH got injured and the Invasion happened had some entertainment to it, but it was still at least in part responsible for the end of the last massive boom period. Plus the way they turned him face again the day after Survivor Series 2001 was just lazy and no effort whatsoever.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Lucha Underground straight up had a bunch of onscreen murders. Siniestro ripped out his trios partners' hearts to gain their powers, Black Lotus punched a hole through Matanza's chest, and Mil Muertes during his Shao Kahn run sat on a literal throne of skulls that were canonically harvested from dead wrestlers, including Ezekiel Jackson's character Big Ryck.

Brian Cage possessed by the gauntlet punching that FBI or senator (or whatever he was) in the head that it exploded was pretty good too.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

Vertebreaker sounds so metal, like a 13 year olds lovely band.

It was also the name of Shane Helms' final WCW theme which had some very dodgy piano and the chorus:

Vertebreaker! We'll break your spine!
Vertebreaker! Does the trick every time!
Vertebreaker! We'll slap your face!
Vertebreaker! We'll break you like the boys at the base!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAcd4KdHe8

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

Its just a Jimmy Hart Variant of ODB's Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Fixed that for you.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Hes also had:

The name of his friends band (Cremation Lily)
A Stewart Lee comedy bit (Orienteering with Napalm Death)
and the self explanatory 'Tesco Value Meal Deal'

I want to say he also recently won a match with a move called "Barry from Eastenders" but I might have dreamed that.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Thanlis posted:

See the back of this shirt.

Just when I think I couldn't enjoy the man more I find out he has a Brass Eye reference for one too.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Cat. Cat - a Clarky Cat.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well, that's that.

Second question, have there ever been any male valets, for either a woman or man wrestler? Do any women even have managers? I don't think I could name one but I haven't paid attention to anything past 2001.

Do Dalton Castle's boys count as valets? Also, same question but with 3 Count and Tank Abbot.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Bonk posted:

WWE came close to this, where they used a Lostprophets song for a Jeff Hardy promo (and I think it was almost his new entrance theme?), but the singer turned out to be one of the most depraved pedos I've ever read about and tried to buy a 1 year old kid or something.

Yeah, let's not get into talking about that guy.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Similarly dodging between the ropes before a lock up to have the ref back up the face and using the ref to cheap shot the face.

Toru Yano gets away with this by being a very silly man.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lunatic Sledge posted:

is this not true of all submission holds

anything done outside the ring does bonus damage but on the commentary desk? fuggetaboutit

Cody's Figure Four on top of his bus was definitely a case of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

Rock retained the title at SummerSlam 2000 by People's Elbowing HHH, though that triple-threat was all sorts of delightfully overbooked and at that point Hunter had been bonked with the sledgehammer by Angle if memory serves

I don't remember the Summerslam match too well outside of the table break accident but I do remember Rock beating HHH for the title at Backlash a few months earlier with the People's Elbow (although that did have Austin chairshotting HHH twice beforehand). He also beat Rikishi with it at Survivor Series that year.