Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
What was the purpose of having a picture of Scott Hall in the box? What was this match all about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Do we have a secret cabal of goon workers? Would be fun to network and shoot the poo poo.

Edit: Am just a mere ref, but still.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
He called it Sasorigatame which translates to Scorpion lock.

Apparently it's a Karl Gotch creation.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
What were the reasons WWE booked Big Show and Akebono into a sumo match at Wrestlemania 21?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

sticklefifer posted:

yo yo yo lemme speak on this

Bow wow wow yo yippy yay, arriba la raza, all day and every day!

Bow wow wow yo yippy yay, OIL OF OLAY, all day every day!

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Was there a basis for the names "Holy Demon Army" and "Miracle Violence Connection?" They seem so grandiose for a promotion that wasn't big on theatrical gimmicks and outside-the-ring storytelling. Did the names refer to each of their members, like I'm supposed to parse that one is holy and one demonic, or one violent and one miraculous? Or do they just stand on their own?

As mentioned previously, the Holy Demon army was a pun on the name ”Seikigun”. The use in english IWC stems from the era of approximation/machine translations being the norm.

Miracle Violence Connection is more simpler, since the team of Gordy and Williams were referred to as such on commentary. It wasn’t their team name, but the NTV commentator Fukuzawa loved to throw english nicknames for wrestlers constantly.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

TV Zombie posted:

How do you figure wrestlers apply to work in other promotions that may be unfamiliar with their work? Do you try to show them some matches of what you're capable of? For example, if you have a tryout match but it doesn't go well because of extenuating circumstances, can you go to the promoter and go "but wait! I am actually good! Look at this match I had!" and then show them that match or something?

Wrestlers reach out to promoters via email, social media, etc. Usually, they send a youtube reel, maybe a link to a match, and a wrestling resume. Resumes can have info about who have you trained with, have been to any seminars, where have you worked, and possible references. This is usually for the more career-oriented, already established wrestlers.

A simpler way is to just message the promoter, ask if you can come and help, show up (with permission), and help set up the ring, etc. You just might get booked, which is why you always pack your gear with you.

A rare occurrence is that someone visited your promotion and you became friends/they liked you. They then take your info to their promoter and you are reached out to get booked.

If you stink up the place, it is really up to the promoter to decide. If you had a bad day and have a good rep (other wrestlers vouching for you can go a long way), you might get another chance. Showing just one match can be risky since it's a two-person show. A good opponent can carry you to a good match, so you have to showcase a variety of opponents.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Friendly reminder, this is the final mention/appearance of Scott Hall in WCW

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Tanahashi also puts a lot of noise into his actions.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Lily Catts posted:

so basically just a dream match? It did seem that Kensuke didn't heel it up unlike other NJPW stars in NOAH like Yuji Nagata or Tanahashi.

Both had a killer 2004 with Kensuke being a freelancer & running around in the indies (winning the Tokyo Sports MVP) and Kobashi winning the Best Bout award (vs Akiyama) while being on his absolute champion run. It was a dream match between two big guys who had been the talk of the industry.

Neither Sasaki or Kobashi commented before the match, Sasaki opting for "no comment" & Kobashi saying that he'll say his peace after the match is done.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm5geMAQ8Q0

If you want more CM Butt content, here's Punk showing his staph infection scar.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
NJPW was also offering iPPV in 2012 via uStream. That did help tremendously in getting more eyes to the product.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Outside of random mentions on TV, the show rolled on as usual.

Unions are a no-no in WWE.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The whole Inoki comes out on a cross was for a New Years K1/MMA -show. Dream and K-1 were both in dire straits in 2011, so they asked IGF to help them out.

Thus out came the savior Inoki.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

forkboy84 posted:

It was the first big JMMA New Years show I'd ever seen live and outcomes crucified Inoki and I was absolutely howling at the sheer nonsense of it all. If the UFC would embrace sheer fun like that I'd probably still watch MMA.

Did you watch it with english commentary? I vividly remember the confusion in the booth when Tiger Jeet Singh and Ali Singh came out to pay respect to then-recently passed Umanosuke Ueda.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

forkboy84 posted:

To be fair, having someone's first title defence being against Akitoshi Saito is never going to be a draw. Even when he was facing Kobashi in his legendary title reign the match was at the EDION Arena/Osaka Prefectural Gym & did 5,200 in a building that can hold 8,000 according to Wikipedia. And that's from an era where we know NOAH released exaggerated/worked attendance figures!

It definitely wasn't on Rikio, I agree with that. I just don't think Misawa was a good booker when it came to creating new stars. Go Shiozaki didn't get over like that until after he returned from All Japan after the Kobashi retirement fiasco, they whiffed on Morishima, & guys like KENTA, Marufuji, even Sugiura didn't get over the Junior "stench". Part of that is less on Misawa than on Baba, in that NOAH inherited All Japan fans & All Japan barely even treated the Juniors like an afterthought, but Misawa had 5 years in which to get over that the Juniors were as good or even better than the Heavyweights. But that was wrestling in the time period, unless you were a luchraresu promotion weight classes mattered way more than they do now.

NOAH for all its booking worries had the best junior division in the early 00s. The chances to make the stars, however, were more or less pushed aside as the company wanted to stay afloat.

Tokyo and Osaka (for the most part) received the new talents somewhat warmly, but it was a completely different thing in the rural areas.

The local promoters and sponsors wanted big names, so Misawa complied. Kobashi, Misawa, Taue were all put on the top as they has the All Japan prestige. They were pushed front and center for these sold shows, while the younger talents languished in the undercard. The sold shows brought money to the promotion so they could keep the boys paid.

This was one of the key factors in 2009 when Misawa was still main eventing shows especially after losing the NTV deal.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Lily Catts posted:

What are Masato Tanaka's best matches? I wasn't around for his ECW run, heard the series with Mike Awesome was great. I mostly got into him in his later years, being amazed at his capacity to absorb punishment lol. I imagine he was even better in his prime.

His run in NJPW from 2009 to 2012 had a good few singles matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

kimbo305 posted:

Every so often I think of this ad that was for the Hustle promotion and I can never find it.
It had Naoya Ogawa walking toward the camera on a street, singing a song, with some lyric like "Hassuru, hassuru, minja na de"

If anyone can link me to it, thanks a million.

https://youtu.be/sDS8Uvr42z0?si=vq22qXdNZqm5mjxB