Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
YouTube is overflowing with 1 hour homemade documentaries these days, but is there any particularly standout one about the beginnings of AEW, the (short lived?) ratings war, etc? Tumblr posts or whatever in text form would work as well.

It dawned on me that a lot of my disconnect with PSP/THH is how everybody has seemingly turned on WWE for alternatives for reasons, where I still sort of mentally exist in a WWE only bubble where alterantives don't exist. Outside of watching CM Punk's return match I have never really bothered with AEW, and that's because I completely fell out of wrestling in 2018. I've been trying to figure out where, and I think it was when WWE started doing publicity work for the Saudi government that I decided the habit I picked up in 1999 was over.

And that makes a lot of sense, because apparently AEW started about a year after that. So I figure starting with it's beginnings is a good way to catch up on what I've missed.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kvlt! posted:

the doc on CM Punk/MJF feud is excellent. The feud itself is mid and forgotten to history but the documentary is really impressive and worth watching if you like docs at all:
https://youtu.be/7CbZQpmacJI?si=__wsZ7rGic9Wp_On

I wish the guy who made it would make more its a really amazing piece of work and this is coming from a guy whose a Punk hater and pretty neutral on MJF

This was really cool, thanks. It actually kind of starts off with the show I watched and I kind of wondered where things went. I know someone else did a two-parter on Punk's AEW run but it's almost three hours long. Although lol at using "you stopped being on TV and that made me sad" as feud material. Even as someone who liked Punk for a while in the 2010s he quickly went from must-watch segments to being saddled with an assortment of people when it was clear they were not going to let him have a Stone Cold like run against the people at the top of the organization.

What I was particularly interested in was how Cody went from being apparently something of a founder of AEW to being in the opposing promotion again. When I stopped watching, he was gone with occasional tweets alternating between "I don't want to go back there" and "they don't want me back, I asked" (the latter being a Rumble cameo.)

The other doc suggests that while AEW has always been a mix of guys who topped cards in WWE and guys I've never heard of before, they're clearly more known by more people than I ever knew of. Kind of like before the current NXT brand, when WWE development was untelevised so Floridians always seemed to know way more about new people than everyone else.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 9, 2024

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Defenestrategy posted:

I think my breaking point was when they botched the gently caress out of the nexus. It was the first cool thing to happen in a very long time and it made a lot of sense, and when they hosed that up was when I realized that even with wwe handed a reall cool opportunity theyd ruin it for no reason.

I feel like they eventually got the Nexus concept right with The Shield. The problem is that stables are bad for wrestling, and they eventually figured out that 3/4 man gangs like The Shield and The New Day and Hurt Business (and of course, the Four Horsemen but they'll never let themselves use that one) allow for flexibility in matches without going full blown as 10-12 man stable. This should not be news, the nWo was way more exciting with the first three guys than it was with thirty, but for reasons it took bookers a very long time to figure this out.

The identity of the mini-stable also allows someone new to show up with some small amount of transitive heat, rather than being a total "who? Who the gently caress?" like I became the last time I peeked at wrestling and saw Kurt Angle retire to some guy who couldn't draw heat from an active volcano.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Thank you for falling out for the right reasons
I already wasn't feeling the product, the show turning into propaganda at the same time as the Khashoggi murder just made it easy to forget to return. I'm sure if they had some amazing storyline that I'd be talking about it through it, just like how I'm currently jazzed to see The Rock become a living Duke Nukem once again just to find that most of goondom is giving e-swirlies to anyone who watches Raw.

But yeah, that was just the breaking point, I already wasn't sure what the gently caress I was doing when Punk's "this company sucks!" angle was met with HHH going "yeah, and?" before being shuffled off to random people; and before you know it Punk's worked-shoot "real talk" character means his feud with Undertaker is working the idea that the urn has Paul Bearer's ashes in it, and now all men in the entire angle look bad.

Integrated Houston posted:

A lot of us had different breaking points with the Fed. Mine was seeing the death of my fave, Eddie Guerrero, turned into an onscreen angle involving his wife.
That's fair, but she was fully on board with it and kept her family taken care of with it. I remember her last appearance they played the Eddie entrance tune and she did his shimmy before leaving. I wasn't a fan of Vickie's onscreen persona, but I was a little relieved by the conclusion that she at least seemed to be enjoying herself and hoped she made him proud, than just suffering whatever indignities she has to in order to keep the bereavement checks flowing.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 9, 2024

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Integrated Houston posted:

I get that, and I don’t blame Vicki. Using Eddie as an angle has been defended by many, including Rey, Vicki, and Orton, as being “what Eddie would have wanted,” and they probably know better than me. But I was just really not ready for nor interested in that poo poo. Like, what kind of business loving does that?

Yeah, that's sort of how I felt about the Punk/Taker angle I described above. Bill Moody/Paul Bearer was a very old school guy who you could tell from his online blog that leaned to the Bill Watts Mid-South mindset of keeping kayfabe alive. I'm very certain he'd be on-board with the idea that if he actually died that it be played into an Undertaker angle as long as his memory remained 'in character' for it. But that doesn't mean it's not gross as hell, only partly because the nature of Taker changed over time to the point where they acknowledged he and Paul were just guys doing an act.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, I should have added "except stuff like Bullet Club which actually works", but it's a bit out of my wheelhouse.