Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Any interesting stories of one guy just flat out refusing to take another guy's move?

Bonus points if this decision is made during the match itself, with very short notice.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

edogawa rando posted:

Excuse me, I think you're forgetting Cesaro's rugby union gimmick, where he wore the thigh padding that locks and loose forwards that take lineouts wear like Richie McCaw, the GOAT, is wearing here, in action at the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

I remember the rugby thing just being some super weird late addition to his character, whereby commentary would just casually mention that he was a former pro player. I Zebre or Benetton actually had a player called Castagnoli playing in the Pro 12 at the time, to make it even weirder.

He used to wear thigh supports when he was first starting in NXT, but I don't think he'd tape them up, or wear lifting pads. It would have been a super cool 'foreign object' gimmick, if he un-taped them, and attacked his helpless opponent with those squishy foam pads that we tape to our thighs for lineouts :D

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

Ok, so I know next to nothing about British wrestling and I've rarely seen Big Daddy outside of a couple clips. Why did he suck so bad and yet seems to have been very over in his part of the world?

William Regal attempting to explain Big Daddy on Steve Austin's podcast :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JtMgLgWsew

The TLDR is that after so many years of watching 2/3 fall technical matches, Big Daddy was basically Goldberg.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Kennel posted:

Gotta love the attitude era

The Greater Power RAW was a Historic poo poo-Show, but can't compare to "The RAW That The Nexus Debuted" :

-

Dark Two On One Handicap Match
Chris Masters defeats The Dudebusters (Caylen Croft & Trent Barreta)

Bodyslam Challenge Match
The Big Show defeats Chris Jericho (2:55)

Non Title Tag Team Match
The Hart Dynasty (David Hart Smith & Tyson Kidd) (w/Natalya) defeat Hornswoggle & The Great Khali (1:17)

12 Man Battle Royal
Maryse defeats Alicia Fox and Brie Bella and Eve Torres and Gail Kim and Jillian and Kelly Kelly and Layla and Michelle McCool and Nikki Bella and Rosa Mendes and Tiffany (3:50)

Singles Match
Kane defeats Sheamus by Count Out (7:30)

Tag Team Match
The Miz & Zack Ryder defeat John Morrison & R-Truth (3:20)

Edge's Arm Tied Behind His Back Match
Randy Orton defeats Edge by DQ (1:40)

Singles Match
Matt Hardy defeats Drew McIntyre (1:25)

Non Title Match
CM Punk vs. John Cena - No Contest, 8 Guys Run In And Destroy The Set (10:00)

The rest of the 3 hour show was devoted to a plot in which the characters from The A Team travel to WWE Raw, to sovle The Mystery of Jerry Lawler's Missing Crown. After confronting the Evil Bad Guy Team of IRS, Virgil and Ted Dibiase Jr, the heels lure The A Team into a room full of Sleeping Gas, and kidnap Rampage Jackson. In the ring, the evil mastermind is revealed to be Roddy Piper, who kayfabe believes Mr T and Rampage Jackson are the same person, and stole Lawler's crown in order to lure The A Team to WWE Raw, so that he can enact his revenge from Wrestlemania 2. The day is saved when Dusty Rhodes and Gene Okerlund storm the ring in a golf cart, allowing Rampage Jackson to break free of his plastic handcuffs, and potato Virgil so badly that everyone just rolls out of the ring, rather than taking any more bumps. Dusty Rhodes dances to the A Team theme song.

10 minutes later Bryan Danielson debuts on WWE RAW, and everyone forgets that he last 3 hours happened.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 16, 2024

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Vince goes to bed at night crying and furiously punching his pillow over all the horrible assholes desperately trying to give him money. Just thinking about his net worth going up with every DBD t-shirt sold and so angry about it.

A huge part of the fervour was fans believing that Indie Darling Bryan Danielson was being held down in the WWE, and that no matter how much they cheered his character, Vince simply wouldn't allow him to become the #1 guy.

This bled heavily into the onscreen angle, with him winning the belt, and then HHH immediately nullifying the win, and cutting a promo along the lines of "Hahaha, you thought we'd give the WWE Championship to indie wrestler Bryan Danielson? We only give the belt to Lifelong WWE Guys".

They had heels intentionally stoke the flames, and play into the idea that Danielson was good enough to win the belt, but was being being held down by politics.

It was a super weird time. It sold a lot of T-Shirts. I don't think they'd have as much money if they'd just given him the belt, instead of having him chase the belt, while making themselves look like assholes for not letting him win it.