Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
During an intake psychiatric interview at a new clinic, it was brought up for the first time in my life (I'm in my 30s and struggled with various mental health issues my whole life, and have seen various doctors in regards to them in the past years) that I might be on the spectrum, which in particular is compounding my anxiety. I was shocked, but when I got home and read up on it a bit, I was more shocked that nobody had ever brought up this possibility before, considering how much I can see of myself in some of this.

But also, a lot of what I'm finding by googling has an undercurrent of (or is very specifically about) "You are different but you are still valid and special! And that's okay!" which I very much do not care for and is actually just making me frustrated. That short article/interview shared earlier on this page about lying is much more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Told my ex about the possible autism, and I discovered that they always assumed I was autistic and never said anything in the seven years we had been dating and living together :allears:

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
The doctor doing my evaluation got really hung up on the fact that I cannot stand small talk in any form and yet I have friends, and I felt insane having to point out that nowadays there's social media and twenty years ago there were blogs, and that's really all you need to keep up with what's going on in your friend's lives without the need for pointless inane chatter and only starting a conversation when you actually have something fun or meaningful to talk about. He looked at me like I was an alien and actually said, "I never thought about it like that." and I am still not sure if I'm on the spectrum, but I sure am feeling crazy right now.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Does anybody have suggestions of books or material to read about dealing with anxiety and depression as an autistic person?

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Thank you for the recs, I'll try to get my hands on those.

The clinic wants me to have an actual evaluation, because at this point they are pretty sure I'm on the spectrum and having documents on hand will enable them to provide more help for me and have it covered by my insurance, and my emotions about it all are still a complete mess.