Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Kestral posted:

If you're in the mood for Big Sci-Fi Ideas though, I'll also recommend the palate-cleanser I went to hatereading 3BP and its sequels: QNTM's Valuable Humans in Transit and Fine Structure. Absolutely wild stuff that is also reasonably well-written and wasn't authored by someone writing in the worst traditions of Golden Age SF.

Thanks for that! Ordered 3 of QNTM's books: Valuable Humans / Fine structure / antimemetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sebmojo posted:

the sequel to that's coming out soon! there was some legit publisher bullshit, but it appears to have cessated and it will soon be in the world.

Yeah I'm really excited, the cover looks amazing too

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mikojan posted:

Thanks for that! Ordered 3 of QNTM's books: Valuable Humans / Fine structure / antimemetics

So good!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Stuporstar posted:

In a similar vein, I was reading Owen Barfield’s Poetic Diction (he was the friend of Tolkien who inspired him to come up with a whole myth cycle to prop up his conlang), and though I don’t agree with the idea that “primitive man existed in a total poetic metaphorical state of mind unlike our rational minds today” because that’s way too much like other Modernist armchair philosophers assuming a human mental progression (of already anatomically modern humans) based on almost no evidence (and Western Civilization chauvinism), it does remind me a bit of that Star Trek episode.

Like the universal translator had no problem with simple Tamarian words like “arms” and pronouns and such, so obviously they have simple concrete words. It’s just the bigger, more complex and abstract concepts they’re building up with phrases from their epic poetry. It’s like if people used Bible quotes to say everything important. Like greater expressions of thought and feeling must be expressed in the magnificent whole, rather than being compressed into “doubting Thomas” or “Judas.”

And the whole episode is basically a huge metaphor for this kinda linguistic thought, which is very cool

I'm not familiar with Barfield, but that does sound awfully dismissive of "primitive man" and pre-modern mental capacities. He seems to be sort of injecting Lacanian psychoanalysis into history to suggest that "primitive" people are basically children. If you'd like a good counterpoint, read Tolkien's other buddy C.S. Lewis's The Discarded Image. It describes Medieval cosmology in great detail and makes a powerful case that while it was completely wrong, it was still an entirely rational understanding of the universe and its structure based on received knowledge and observable reality available at the time.

The only thing I'd argue with you about the episode is that the concepts Captain Dathon expresses aren't all that complex. "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" basically means "teamwork". "Sokath--his eyes uncovered" basically means "he understands". "Temba, his arms wide" basically means "welcoming". But again, the episode is illustrating the very point that I'm picking on--language works through association and metaphor.

The real complaints should be directed not towards the universal translator but towards the Federation's Language Arts education system that never taught a single Starfleet officer how to use context clues to understand unfamiliar words and phrases.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Yeah I'm really excited, the cover looks amazing too

Speaking of, I was complaining a few weeks ago about Them changing your kindle covers to a movie poster whenever a book gets adapted for the screen. Yesterday I was perusing my library for one of the legions of unread books I've purchased and then not read when I come across a loving worm crawling through an eyeball It's disgusting, turns out that it was a promotional billboard for The Strain that was literally pulled down because people complained. But now it's foreverially immortalized in my Kindle Digital Library, thank you marketers for raising my brand awareness.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sebmojo posted:

the sequel to that's coming out soon! there was some legit publisher bullshit, but it appears to have cessated and it will soon be in the world.

Amazon says the Kindle release is set for August 6th. Dawnhounds was really good, so I'm excited for more.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm reading it right now and it's pretty cool :cool:

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I have an old version of Dawnhounds bought on amazon on kindle from when it was first posted. Did that version get updated or would I need to buy it again to get the latest version?

Sibling of TB fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 29, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sibling of TB posted:

I have an old version of Dawnhounds bought on amazon on kindle from when it was first posted. Did that version get updated or would I need to buy it again to get the latest version?
You need to buy the season pass DLC

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Hard to Be a God by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K4JX2FM/

The Master of Whitestorm by Janny Wurts - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S7GH5C5/

The Sword of Shannara (#1) by Terry Brooks - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBFOE6/

The Charwoman's Shadow by Lord Dunsany - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PJ8MVYS/
Is this even under copyright still?

The Once and Future Witches by Alix E Harrow - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085C71YG5/

New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KT7YTO6/

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sibling of TB posted:

Hi it's Sascha, got DMed by a bunch of people. Gotta buy a new one unfortunately. I self-pubbed it, then Saga picked it up and we did some pretty significant rewrites (the 2021 edition is around 30k words longer) but since the editions were put out by two different 'publishers' they don't connect digitally like that. FWIW the 2019 edition can't be bought anymore anywhere and is relatively rare so you've got a cool little time capsule/rare book? I'm hanging onto my handful of original copies, they mean a lot to me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Hi it's Sascha, got DMed by a bunch of people. Gotta buy a new one unfortunately. I self-pubbed it, then Saga picked it up and we did some pretty significant rewrites (the 2021 edition is around 30k words longer) but since the editions were put out by two different 'publishers' they don't connect digitally like that. FWIW the 2019 edition can't be bought anymore anywhere and is relatively rare so you've got a cool little time capsule/rare book? I'm hanging onto my handful of original copies, they mean a lot to me.

oh holy cannoli, I own the 2019 edition in physical. I'll have to pick up the remix edition and the sequel when it drops!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

oh holy cannoli, I own the 2019 edition in physical. I'll have to pick up the remix edition and the sequel when it drops!
In physical, that's like ... one of about 400-ish? 2019 edition sold around 3.5k copies total but the vast majority were digital. We had 300 printed in New Zealand then around 100 more were Amazon print on demand.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

In physical, that's like ... one of about 400-ish? 2019 edition sold around 3.5k copies total but the vast majority were digital. We had 300 printed in New Zealand then around 100 more were Amazon print on demand.

Cool! Count me as one of the happy hundred, then!

e: The original cover is cooler than the new one.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah I love the original, though I do get the change. My understanding is that US audiences want their covers to be less abstract and more direct? A fantasy novel should have a guy with a sword on it, a sci-fi novel should have a spaceship. I remember the original cover getting a lot of angry confused notes from readers like "I thought it was a guide for camping", "is that a chicken drumstick?"

Also that'll be one of 100ish Amazon ones -- iirc they'll either be printed in the US or printed in Wellington and the US copies are via the 'zon.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If the author for The Traitor Baru Cormorant still pokes around in this thread, just wanted to let you know ive recommended the series to a few folks and they've really enjoyed it. Hope you are doing well!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

If the author for The Traitor Baru Cormorant still pokes around in this thread, just wanted to let you know ive recommended the series to a few folks and they've really enjoyed it. Hope you are doing well!

They literally posted on this page like 9 posts up from you

They're a great thread regular

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Thank you :shobon:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The Frequent Poster General Battuta.
The Never Probated General Battuta.
The Permabanned General Battuta.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I love the original, though I do get the change. My understanding is that US audiences want their covers to be less abstract and more direct? A fantasy novel should have a guy with a sword on it, a sci-fi novel should have a spaceship. I remember the original cover getting a lot of angry confused notes from readers like "I thought it was a guide for camping", "is that a chicken drumstick?"

Also that'll be one of 100ish Amazon ones -- iirc they'll either be printed in the US or printed in Wellington and the US copies are via the 'zon.

This is truly baffling to me because it's the exact opposite of what I want out of a cover honestly--"Guy with a sword on it" as the cover is about the biggest turn-off for me when it comes to a fantasy book cover. It kind of makes me assume it's going to be bland and generic. That said, I think like 90% of US genre book covers are utter poo poo so maybe my tastes are just at odds with most book-buyers in the US.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Lois McMaster Bujold hated all the covers to her books with Baen. And after years of complaining about the ugly loving covers they kept saddling her with, Jim Baen finally let her pick one, and it was her worst selling book in years. So she went back to the ugly Baen covers because there is a market for that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Have they tried having the protagonist doing a youtube thumbnail face on the covers?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Patrick Spens posted:

Lois McMaster Bujold hated all the covers to her books with Baen. And after years of complaining about the ugly loving covers they kept saddling her with, Jim Baen finally let her pick one, and it was her worst selling book in years. So she went back to the ugly Baen covers because there is a market for that.

which cover was that?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
It's kind of an unfortunate reality of trad – they do things you're going to hate, but those things are really good at selling books. It's their whole job. The stuff that moves copies and the stuff that makes the author feel happy and respected will sometimes overlap, but when there's a dispute, the thing that moves copies tend to win.

Like I'm shown copies of my covers and asked whether I like them, and I'm allowed to give feedback, but if that feedback is going to veer into a direction that makes the book unsellable my rear end is getting ignored. Like idk, this is the Sunforge cover

I don't have the original version on-hand but the silhouettes were significantly younger-looking. Like left to right, those three characters are 17, 25, and 29. The guy in the middle is canonically notably small, but originally his proportions made him look more like a child than just a short king. That feedback was received, and edits were made. I do get some level of cover-control, it just tends to be at the level of fine details. I get asked for general ideas at the start and the sketches that come out take them onboard but also totally ignore them when needed, then I get asked if I want to make any tweaks and those tweaks get signed off if they don't touch the bottom line.

So like, that typeface is The Blockbuster Typeface that all the numbers show moves a lot of copies. I'd much rather it were something a bit more Art Nouveau to fit the setting, but it's not happening because it's going to mess with sales.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 30, 2024

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

a typeface moving sales seems loving insane to me
i would understand if a typeface hurt sales, like using comic sans (LOL) or something like that, but helping sales?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mystes posted:

Have they tried having the protagonist doing a youtube thumbnail face on the covers?

Yeah that's the correct parallel. It's gross but it works so people do it.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Doktor Avalanche posted:

a typeface moving sales seems loving insane to me
i would understand if a typeface hurt sales, like using comic sans (LOL) or something like that, but helping sales?
Apparently the numbers back it up. I have zero idea WHY the numbers show what they do, but it's also not my job to know anymore. I'm kinda just here to write the book. I spent a couple of years in self-pub and managing all of that stuff drove me insane, I'm happy to be able to offload it onto somebody else.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 30, 2024

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

https://www.goodreads.com/questions/1032160-i-just-read-on-tvtropes-lois-mcmaster

Not quite true, per Bujold. (My guess was Cetaganda.)

Those Baen covers are awful, though. Even the spines look bad.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

So like, that typeface is The Blockbuster Typeface that all the numbers show moves a lot of copies. I'd much rather it were something a bit more Art Nouveau to fit the setting, but it's not happening because it's going to mess with sales.

For what it's worth, a random google search for "art nouveau font" shows me a lot of fonts that would instantly turn me off from the book if I was just going by the cover.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

DACK FAYDEN posted:

in general I am also primed to believe that something clunky in translation is often because it was clunky in the original (because translators want to do as good a job as they can :shobon:) so I also would believe it, with no specific nationality required

Sometimes the translation is just poo poo, however.

I've read more than a few Norwegian translations of English originals where the translator would for example just do literal word-for-word translations of (not very obscure) idioms into something that made absolutely no sense. Or confusing similar words (invincible/invisible, etc.)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Or I guess printed wherever's closest to whoever ordered it, my copy says "Printed in Great Britain by Amazon"

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm in japan on vacation and the recent alastair reynolds chat made me look for japanese translations of his books (i speak the language fluently)

managed to find a 1000 page paperback (very unusual to have such a lengthy paperback) of revelation space and the dramatis personae for it made me lol:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That is not how I pictured the characters, like at all. Except Sajaki who's pretty spot on.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Funny, Yuuji-san is the biggest departure from my headcanon. (I thought he was described in the text as having chimeric blackface.)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Wasn't Sajaki always hitting people with a flute

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah. I always imagined him as halfway between Jetstream Sam and Mifune in Yojimbo but wielding a flute.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just finished Consort of Fire by Kit Rocha, a romantasy. It started as a read and finished as a hate-read. I love romance novels, and this may be the worst one I've ever read. The writing is dreadful. I wound up skipping the sex scenes because of cringe at the dialogue and the descriptions. The plot is one-note. The poor downtrodden women at the beginning (a princess and her assassin friend/lover) become the Everlasting Dream and the Embodied Void at the end (while remaining themselves as far as personality and body go).

Avoid. I would go so far as to say avoid anything by the author (a team of two people). Yuck.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I’d love to see illustrated dramatis personae in more books, that’s a cool feature.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember a lot of early Star Wars EU books had illustrated dramatis personae pages in Japanese translations. Along with the covers being a lot more detailed than the US versions it led to the Japanese translations being the only source for images for a lot of obscure Bantam-era characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's kind of an unfortunate reality of trad – they do things you're going to hate, but those things are really good at selling books. It's their whole job. The stuff that moves copies and the stuff that makes the author feel happy and respected will sometimes overlap, but when there's a dispute, the thing that moves copies tend to win.

That was the one nice thing about self pubbing. I was able to pick the artist and somehow he was both available and within my price range. And he did an amazing job https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Nx3WPN

But at the same time, would the book have been better with an industry editor? Probably. Would it be in actual bookstores? Yeah, if it had actually gone through all the mechanisms of the publishing industry somehow, which wasn't likely. But my day job is working as an industry vfx artist where life is notes and creative decisions completely outside of my control so it was nice to have some control over something creative.

Those Revelation Space designs looks somewhere between Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel Alita.